• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dokelroth
What are some thoughts on rose scents for men. I really like the Frederic Malle Une Rose.
I like Creed Fleur de The Rose Bulgare but I only wore it a couple of times. It's unfortunate that Rose scent is now considered more feminine. I read that a hundred years ago it was considered the height of masculinity.
Originally Posted by Swann
Does Creed`s Cuir de Russie have anything in common with the Chanel fragrance of the same name?
I have both and find them very different. Chanel's version is marketed towards women and is very gentle compared to the Creed which is extremely assertive and impossible to mistake for anything else. The birch tar note really comes through in the Creed while Chanel's leather reminds me of soft suede in Serge Lutens Daim Blonde.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore this on Sunday to my brother's wedding.

Fumerie_Turque.jpg

Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anybody tried Tom Ford's new men's fragrance? I don't live near a Saks, so I haven't had a chance to give it a sniff. But, I really liked Black Orchid, so I'm interested in seeing what he does for one marketed for men...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Anybody tried Tom Ford's new men's fragrance? I don't live near a Saks, so I haven't had a chance to give it a sniff. But, I really liked Black Orchid, so I'm interested in seeing what he does for one marketed for men...
For the kind of scratch he's charging, I'll pass. Just walking into Saks makes my pocketbook clench in fear. Heck, just the drive to get to Saks (and NM, since they're joined in the same mega-center) makes my car sputter and stall once I get there. Too bad the Chanel boutique is in the same place, too. Speaking of Chanel, today I'm wearing Antaeus (vintage). It's a chilly 71 out there this morning.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
For the kind of scratch he's charging, I'll pass. Just walking into Saks makes my pocketbook clench in fear. Heck, just the drive to get to Saks (and NM, since they're joined in the same mega-center) makes my car sputter and stall once I get there. Too bad the Chanel boutique is in the same place, too.

Speaking of Chanel, today I'm wearing Antaeus (vintage). It's a chilly 71 out there this morning.

Actually, the men's scent is just $60 for 1.7 ounces and $85 for the 3.4... not so bad really... Lutens charges nearly $100 for 1.7 ounces, as do L'artisan and such. TF's scent is slightly more than designer scents, but well under "niche."

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lately I've been into designer scents.

Some new ones:

L'Eau d'Issey Intense
Armani Attitude
Escada Sunset Heat

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
I like Creed Fleur de The Rose Bulgare but I only wore it a couple of times. It's unfortunate that Rose scent is now considered more feminine. I read that a hundred years ago it was considered the height of masculinity.
Lavender scents were also considered very masculine in those days which is why numerous traditional English shaving creams are still made in those scents. Those English houses also have various rose and lime colognes.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
My scent of the day is : Czech and Speake No. 88. Rich floral/oriental that reminds me of Jermyn Street in London. Absolutely love it.

The smell that reminds me of Jermyn Street is the Stilton wafting down the road from Paxton & Whitfield.

Any fans of Bel Ami? I loved how late in the day I'd catch a note of it, like an old friend, realizing that over the course of the day it had changed but was still recognizably there.

I do like the names of some older perfumes, refreshingly daft or (now) anachronistic -- The Third Man, Fracas, Snuff, Bandit, Escrimeur ("Fencer"), Yatagan (a peculiar type of sword from the Islamic world)...

Patricia di Nicolai does excellent perfumes and candles in Paris. Curious also if anyone uses her stuff.

Nowadays I just stick to the shampoo and toiletries from Taylors -- sandalwood.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nicholas Foulkes remarked in an interview that like the Comte d'Orsay, he immersed his watchstrap in Houbigant cologne.

I suppose that must be true, since iammatt noted that when he met Foulkes, he was doused in cologne.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Nicholas Foulkes remarked in an interview that like the Comte d'Orsay, he immersed his watchstrap in Houbigant cologne.
I'll give you a cookie if you can remember which Houbigant perfume. Without Googling or Wikipedia-ing it.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I'll give you a cookie if you can remember which Houbigant perfume. Without Googling or Wikipedia-ing it.
Cookies are too fattening, but that's just an excuse for not recalling the name. Though there is apparently a scent house called d'Orsay. On an aside, it delights me to wear scents that are considered old-fashioned and too "dark" for today's Sporty New World.

razuel

Reaction score
I just bought Suede by Guess, very sweet smell; reminds me of christmas a little.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Dressed down for some manual labor this morning - well, dressed down for the office, which means jeans and a polo. Went with New West. Probably should have over-sprayed Yatagan so my BO wouldn't have been so noticeable.
tounge.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
By the way, I am always happy to make up decants for anybody who is interested in trying some of the scents we've talked about on these threads (including the new Tom Ford for men) but may not have access to them close to where they live. I generally can only use 30mls or so of a fragrance for myself, which often leaves 70 or more in the bottle that I really often don't use. So, I started doing decants for friends a while back and they've worked out well.

Here's what I've got:
www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/rach2jlc

If you see something you'd like to try, just PM me and I can give you availability and pricing (I have 10ml, 15ml, and 30ml spray bottles that I can use). They won't be free, but I also don't do them for profit. I just want to cover expenses and it's a good way to try some fragrances from smaller companies that don't do samples. It's also a fun way to share one's obsessions... except it's a lot easier (and more sanitary) to send somebody 10mls of a fragrance to try than a pair of Lattanzi's to wear for a week.
wink.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today I am sporting a sample of Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. It's a pleasant, slightly dry lemony-powdery old-school scent, in the vein of Eau Sauvage, except a bit softer and less astringent than ES. Pleasant, but not bottle-worthy, especially since most of the time I like my scents to have more of a kick-in-the-giblets quality. This is well-suited for the end-of-year company holiday party, as long as you're not the sort to tie mistletoe to your back belt loop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads