• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New gap denim

blake347

Reaction score
So i bought a pair of skinny selvage about 2 years ago...the fades are amazing (will post pics later), but unfortunately the crotch finally gave out. Ordered another pair just this week in the same size, however the fit is COMPLETELY different. Inseam longer, rise higher with an extra button, and thighs are loose as heck. Does anyone know why they changed the fit so much? And where to get the old fit?

justlurkingthanks

Reaction score
I have the skinny and I agree it is looser up top, but tourniquet-like around the calves. I also have the straight, which is a far better slim fit throughout.

RjsShadows

Reaction score
I have a pair of the Gap Original fit, and Skinny fit Raw selvage denim, and they both fit great! I like the quality and look forward to seeing how they fade. I also went to Banana Republic yesterday and looked at their Heritage line (I have two pairs of denim from the line) neither are sold online for some reason and the quality is amazing. I am an employee of Gap so I shop there to much haha. I am not biased though, I own a pair of selvage pants from J Crew, and own 3 pairs of Levis. (I own way to much denim) I am new to this forum so, hi.
I plan on posting pictures of the gap denim I own just to show how well they fit, and also I'm going to post a picture of my new favorite pair of jeans which are the Heritage slim straight raw selvage indigo denim from Banana Republic. They aren't sold online, but they fit slimmer than my Gap raw selvage skinny jeans, they are a bit darker and the quality and thickness of the denim is better. I cannot wait to see how these fade, I just got into raw denim this year so I have never had the joy of fading a pair.

smartboy3456

Reaction score

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are raw, sadly.
According to the description-
"Fabrication: Elevated jeans, made of premium denim in a rigid raw selvage."

Gap's use of raw does not equate to SF's use (as in the connotation that it's unsanforized). They may be "raw" but you won't have any sizing issues. If they did, Gap would have a return-fest on their hands and they can't afford that.

Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of these at the Gap today. $30 straight fit.

I'm pretty ******* happy. (even though I originally went to the Gap with my mind set on some lighter, washed denim).

PR05ECC0

Reaction score
They changed their supplier on the selvedge denim, moving it to Bangladesh. Unfortunately the quality has gone down quite a bit. They never really break in and continue to look like they day I first bought them. No creases, no natural wrinkles. They also stretch out a lot after a few times wearing them. I was pretty disappointed in the overall look and quality. I won't be buying them again which is frustrating because I liked the fit quite a bit. I did get a pair of the white denim in a different fabric but the same fit and have liked them a lot. Hopefully they can improve the quality.

Last edited:

cksubs

Reaction score
Seattle flagship had Skinny, Original, and the new "Slim" cuts in the new selvedge. No Straight cuts in Selvedge, so I didn't make a purchase. They were having an in-store-only Buy One, Get One 50% Off sale on all 1969 denim.

Here are a few photos and things to know.

GAP appears to be sizing the inseam by taking the "selvedge cuff" into account (!!!). This is a picture of a 30" selvedge next to a 30" non-selvedge GAP jean in the store. I did my best to line the waists up (off camera). As you can see, the selvedge jeans are 1-2 inches longer due to the fold!

I wear my jeans without the roll-up, so it looks like I need to order a pair marked 28? My usual 30" inseam was noticably too long. Does this match anyone else's experience with these?

The new selvedge does not have rivet reinforced pocket corners. They were hidden, but there, in the old version of this jean.

Weird rivets and waist button. Step back in my opinion, not as classic of a look.

Pockets are nice and flat again, no fake "fold" in the middle.

6 months later...

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their selvage is stepping back up a bit after really dipping in quality and construction over the last few years. Recently saw and tried on a really great fitting "Straight" selvage jean, and while the denim feels good again, still lacking back pocket rivets, and the fly buttons don't feel as sturdy as the good stuff of 4 years ago or so.

Still, a pretty good snag when they're half off.

rdstour

Reaction score
Has anyone tried F/W 2013's new Japanese Selvage denim?

It looks to be a of a good weight, a bit slubby, and the inside care tag says it may shrink up to one size...which makes me wonder if it's unsanforized?

In addition to the raw, there's also 2-3 other washes and a raw denim jacket.

Thoughts?

cksubs

Reaction score
Interesting. Here are the "1969 Japanese selvedge straight fit jeans":
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=600166002

They look pretty much the same as the non-"Japanese" selvedge straight of this style.

When this line came out, circa 2009 or so, they were called "Japanese selvedge" as well. They lost that a year or so later. I wonder if this is simply a rebrand of the current selvedge?

In other news, the non-Japanese jeans of the same style are on sale for $50. Clearing out stock?
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=243690002

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The denim is different 100% from last years selvage denim, the crappy 2011 selvage, and the original 2009 reboot selvage denim for sure. I wasn't able to take pics or else I'd post a comparison

When you say different, is it different better or just different?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads