• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New gap denim

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's usually 1.5 - 2 inches at waist

cez

Reaction score
i do believe GAP is vanity sized, at least 1 or 2 sizes if i had to guess.

i wear 32 in Levi's (511,514) and those always fit TTS ,imo. The sale denim they have is not Japanese. It is stamped Bangladesh.

i returned the 31's and went with a 30 instead. the waist was the snug but it stretched relatively quick, about 1 hour of wear. i probably could have gone as low as 29 and been fine. I am referring to the straight fit. The slim fit definitely feels TTS.

michaeljohnr

Reaction score
Quote:
That seems about accurate. I am wearing my slims today, and after a light misting and drying, they are snug at the waist again. My one complaint - and for the $20.00 I paid for these jeans I should not complain - is that they stretch out faster in the waist than any denim I have even worn. That's my fault though as I should have purchased another waist size down and they would be perfect. If I ever buy another pair, I will definitely size down in the waist more than usual to allow for stretching. But like I said, at $20.00 on sale it was a no brainer.

Last edited:

axedatta

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of the Slim raw japanese selvedge denim like 2 days ago. Though they fit great in the legs they have kind of stretched out in the waist by an inch or two. i bought 32x30, should i return them and get a 31x30? or will they ever shrink in the waist again when i eventually wash them?

michaeljohnr

Reaction score
Quote:
The will shrink, but stretch back out. You are better off returning them for a pair that will stretch to accomodate your size and no larger. Return them. If they stretched 2", you need a 30x30

Last edited:

axedatta

Reaction score
Do you think they will care that i have worn them for 3 days for an exchange? The tags are off but i still have them and i have the receipt.

michaeljohnr

Reaction score
Quote:
Read the back of the receipt for the store's return policy. If you are adhereing to the rules of the policy, return them. If not, then keep them and purchase the correct size of have the originals taken in at a tailor. Don't cheese out and return something dishonestly.

StillFly

Reaction score
Saw these in Gap tonight. They were ~$60. Thought about it, but not sure if they are worth that much.

rdstour

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to buy and wash the Fall 2013 raw Japanese Denim? Does it shrink (as it says on the printed instructions inside pocket)? in terms of length/waist size?

Previous seasons may have shrank slightly in the waist, but shrinkage in the length is more for unsanforized denim.

Thanks!

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a pair of Japanese "Slims" today in the holiday raw selvage, and these feel much better built than their selvage last year (12-13). I have to say that my favorite fit in any jean anywhere is the gap "Straight" and now eager to see how these measure up.

HOT Sriracha

Reaction score
I have a skinny fit pair from few years ago and they are still my favorite jeans I ever had. I tried many other jean brands from apc to ironheart, etc, but the gap still has the best fit for me. The current fit and denim used seem different from past models, does anyone know a similar brand of jean that has the similar fit to the skinny model?

innerstyle

Reaction score
Got some Japanese straight selvedges today for $49 as the cashier was cool and hooked it up. I was in a hurry though so I didn't try them on before buying which was a mistake, I bought my normal waist size in pants, 30", but the waist was pretty loose, I can fit 2 fingers in between the jean and my waist. I'm a bit confused on the size to get as there have been people saying the waist stretches but then the tag says the jeans will shrink a size when washed. One gap reviewer confirmed that as he said they shrank 1.5 inches in the waist, not clear if he put them in the dryer or not, I'd only hang dry.

So should if I had to choose between a pair that fit a bit tight on the waist (28") or fit just right (29") when trying them on in the dressing room, which one do you think I should opt for with these jeans? I'm not sure given the stretching/shrinkage conflict.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got some Japanese straight selvedges today for $49 as the cashier was cool and hooked it up. I was in a hurry though so I didn't try them on before buying which was a mistake, I bought my normal waist size in pants, 30", but the waist was pretty loose, I can fit 2 fingers in between the jean and my waist. I'm a bit confused on the size to get as there have been people saying the waist stretches but then the tag says the jeans will shrink a size when washed. One gap reviewer confirmed that as he said they shrank 1.5 inches in the waist, not clear if he put them in the dryer or not, I'd only hang dry.

So should if I had to choose between a pair that fit a bit tight on the waist (28") or fit just right (29") when trying them on in the dressing room, which one do you think I should opt for with these jeans? I'm not sure given the stretching/shrinkage conflict.

It depends on how fitted/tight you want your jeans to fit. For Straight and Slim cuts, I go 2 sizes down. For Skinny, I only gone one size down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads