• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting back into suiting - need advice

bsyde82

Reaction score
I'm an attorney but for the past five years or so, my practice hasn't required me to go to court much. Over that time, as I've continually pared down my wardrobe, I've gotten rid of some older cheaper suits, leaving me with exactly one navy suit. I also had one suit jacket made years ago (when I didn't know the difference between sport coat and suit jacket) that I can kind of pull off with certain trousers. But I anticipate being in court more, and so I'd like to pick up some more suits. This isn't just a need, but also an excuse to buy more suits.

My area isn't so conservative, but it is court. Obviously I'll always have my standard navy and dark charcoal suit. But what else do you think I can get away with? In terms of a suiting color/texture that can be worn outside of a conservative environment? I'm looking at mid/dark brown, darker green. I'm even thinking sport coats for more routine/administrative appearances (i.e. not trials). Even with trial, I was in one a few weeks ago and the other attorney who was from a respectable firm wore a sportcoat one of those days and it was totally fine. Seeing that made me think you can very much go beyond standard navy/charcoal.

I'm also debating whether to go for some affordable option (e.g. suit supply) where I can get multiple suits at one time, or go for a MTM (idk if it's considered bespoke, but this is Tailor's Keep in the bay area), which would allow me only one suit for now given the price.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think it would be better to expand your wardrobe slowly. if you find one suit you like somewhere, buy it and wear it around for a while. buy a sportcoat somewhere, too. at the same time, explore other options as to what is out there. this will take some time obviously however, you will probably be happier with the result.

the usual caveat with suitsupply is to not let them squeeze you into their overly slim offerings. that is of course, unless those fit you well. ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads