• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calikid

Reaction score
Could people share pictures of their worn Meermin shell shoes? Someone must have had those for a year or so.
Here are my plain toe bluchers in Burgundy Shell.... Meermin on the left, AE on the right for a color comparison.
I have worn the Meermins maybe 15 times..... so far so good!

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are my plain toe bluchers in Burgundy Shell.... Meermin on the left, AE on the right for a color comparison. I have worn the Meermins maybe 15 times..... so far so good!
How would you compare the shell itself? Meermin is not Horween, is it?

Calikid

Reaction score
Here are my plain toe bluchers in Burgundy Shell.... Meermin on the left, AE on the right for a color comparison.
I have worn the Meermins maybe 15 times..... so far so good!

As I understand it, the shell is from Agentina, not from Horween.
The shell is totally different. With the Meermin shell, as you wear it, where the shoe creases you get an area that looks like it needs polish but then you brush it and it shines right up.
I don't know other than that to explain what I mean. That being said, I have to say that the shoes are extremely comfortable, more comfortable than my AE ptb's or my Alden ptb's.
Also, I have gotten more compliments on the Meermins than any other shoe/boot I have worn in the last 6 months.
The first few times I wore the shoes the shell seemed very dry and I put a fair amount of Reno on them after each wear. Lately, however the shoes haven't needed any reno at all and I just do the Mac method and I am good to go.
I also have the longwing in the cuero shell and that really has taken on a nice patina after wearing them a number of times and hitting them hard with the brush.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Meermin uses Argentinian shell and it is very different from Horween. The Meermin shell is somewhat stiff, does not get folds and does not bloom. I've also found that it benefits greatly from an occasional polish with Saphir cordovan cream.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, the shell is from Agentina, not from Horween.
The shell is totally different. With the Meermin shell, as you wear it, where the shoe creases you get an area that looks like it needs polish but then you brush it and it shines right up.
I don't know other than that to explain what I mean. That being said, I have to say that the shoes are extremely comfortable, more comfortable than my AE ptb's or my Alden ptb's.
Also, I have gotten more compliments on the Meermins than any other shoe/boot I have worn in the last 6 months.
The first few times I wore the shoes the shell seemed very dry and I put a fair amount of Reno on them after each wear. Lately, however the shoes haven't needed any reno at all and I just do the Mac method and I am good to go.
I also have the longwing in the cuero shell and that really has taken on a nice patina after wearing them a number of times and hitting them hard with the brush.

I agree with virtually all of this. My shell longwings are my most comfortable pair of shoes.

kcox68

Reaction score
I received an email today saying one of the pairs of shoes I orded from Meermin would be delayed.
angry.gif

Oh well, I won't have them to wear on my next trip but hopefully I'll have a something nice to greet me when I get home.

dufferin1

Reaction score
I received an email today saying one of the pairs of shoes I orded from Meermin would be delayed.
angry.gif

Oh well, I won't have them to wear on my next trip but hopefully I'll have a something nice to greet me when I get home.
Which did you order? My order will ship Monday.

kcox68

Reaction score
Which did you order? My order will ship Monday.
I ordered the black oxford and the dark brown double monks both from the Classic line on 1/12/13. I'm not sure which pair is delayed but I've been in contact with Luisa and they're going to ship out the shoes that are ready so that hopefully they'll arrive by the 19th but it'll be tight.

It's nice that they've been willing to work with me to get at least part of my order sent, and they're going to eat the extra shipping costs.

If I could ask, what did you order and when?

dufferin1

Reaction score
I ordered the black oxford and the dark brown double monks both from the Classic line on 1/12/13. I'm not sure which pair is delayed but I've been in contact with Luisa and they're going to ship out the shoes that are ready so that hopefully they'll arrive by the 19th but it'll be tight.

It's nice that they've been willing to work with me to get at least part of my order sent, and they're going to eat the extra shipping costs.

If I could ask, what did you order and when?
I ordered January 27th. One pair of light brown Classic double monks, and a pair of single black monks.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll find out for sure in a few days but the Ben last does look a little pointier than expected but hopefully not overly so

tumblr_mhzy24S4o21rv8yzgo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mhzy3mYg2d1rv8yzgo1_1280.jpg

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn the new rey last is tight!

Since this is the New Rey in size 8 and it's way too tight, will the Olfe in the same size be a better choice for me? I normally wear UK size 8F in Grenson, Cheaney, Barker and C&J.

Reaction score
Hello Schweino,
I too wear UK 8 and regular width in most cases but had to go for 8.5 with both the Meermin Olfe and Ama lasts. Ordered my first pair, a single suede monk on the Ama last from the Classic line, in 8, and it was definitely too small. I would tend to advise you to move half a size up, too.
Best,
Christopher

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads