• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KZ404

Reaction score
I wear a 9D on the 5-65 AE last. I purchased the double monks in the Hiro last in a size 8.5UK. Fit is a tad big only on my right foot, but I think 8UK would be too small and uncomfortable. Hope that helps!

Also - I have bowing at the ankles only when I walk in my AEs. Never really bothered me, but maybe I should reconsider?
Thanks, the bowing problem I had only happens when I stand up and it was pretty bad that it would start creasing the sizes of the shoe. I exchanged twice with no luck and ended up returning them. I've tried their Boardroom which is the park ave on AE's 7 last and had no problems with bowing on that shoe.

Any opinions on if it's worth it to pay a more of the LM line instead of the classic line?

REguy

Reaction score
Is there anyone that's familiar with both the Rain last (carmina) and the Hiro last and can compare the fit in length and width?

Personally, I think they fit similarly with the Hiro being ever so slightly less broad in the forefoot. Not enough to make a difference though. I wear a 9.5UK Hiro and 9UK Rain.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Need opinions guys. As I've already noted, I'm heading to Spain and am going to hit Meermin and Carmina. Based on aesthetics alone,

what would you choose between these groups (putting aside Meermin partisanship)?

vs.

and

vs.

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Personally, I think they fit similarly with the Hiro being ever so slightly less broad in the forefoot. Not enough to make a difference though. I wear a 9.5UK Hiro and 9UK Rain.

Would the Hiro be shorter in length? That's what I am hoping.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a pair from the classic line and shines their own shoes? I have a pair of the dark brown double monks and I find that they have a hard time holding a the polish. I sometimes find the shoes losing their color when I buff. I've been using AE premium polish which seems to work great on my other pairs.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh man, I love that shoe! (Read the posts above and edited)
I think the green looks fantastic

I would love to see a very dark green in calf - almost black.

Win545

Reaction score

Anyone have a pair from the classic line and shines their own shoes? I have a pair of the dark brown double monks and I find that they have a hard time holding a the polish. I sometimes find the shoes losing their color when I buff. I've been using AE premium polish which seems to work great on my other pairs.
Same with me. And i think the color losing are normal, my alden lose color when i buff too. The result when i polish my shoes is they turn out to look very new but not that kind of mirror shine. Just shine like they are just out of the box.

nickwjd

Reaction score
I have two pairs of Loake Aldwych and one pair of Loake Pimlico , all in UK9.5F Capital last. I consider my feet flat and broad and the Capital last suit my feet very well.

I resently purchased a pair of Meermin DM on the Hiro last in UK9.5. They were extreamly tight, on the border of not possibly to use (most of you would probably never consider keeping them). I though had a significant heel slip that has partly dissapeard with time. Though they are extreamly tight I can use them after I have stretched them out after some use with wet socks.

At the same time I ordered a pair of boots on the Rui last and I had the oppertunity to change the size of those to a UK 10 before they were delivered. Those fit as a glove in UK 10 and there is no heal slip or tightness anywere. A perfect match.

/M

Extremely helpful info, thanks! Sounds like the 9.5F Capital would suit me fine. :)

ObeyLogic

Reaction score
Oh my, was just looking to purchase a pair of Meermins that have caught my attention and a fellow Torontonian swoops in with an offer like this. Great way to start off a long weekend.
nod[1].gif

Oh yah, and obligatory first post commemorations.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dumb question but after you fill out form online to order are they supposed to email you back or how does that work? Always ordered through Pepe before

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads