• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
Cheers! This particular pic came during my holiday in Hong Kong. There's a polisher in Murray Road Carpark, Central who did this using Kiwi polish for $50hkd. I normally shine shoes myself with Saphir Creme Surfine & Kiwi for polish & buff, but I'm a sucker for these old Hong Kong traditions that will sadly die out with their generation.

Last edited:

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Need opinions guys. As I've already noted, I'm heading to Spain and am going to hit Meermin and Carmina. Based on aesthetics alone,

what would you choose between these groups (putting aside Meermin partisanship)?

My 2 cents...I personally don't like medallions on the toe of a dub, so I like the 2 shoes that I left in the spoiler.

Last edited:

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have two pairs of Loake Aldwych and one pair of Loake Pimlico , all in UK9.5F Capital last. I consider my feet flat and broad and the Capital last suit my feet very well.

I resently purchased a pair of Meermin DM on the Hiro last in UK9.5. They were extreamly tight, on the border of not possibly to use (most of you would probably never consider keeping them). I though had a significant heel slip that has partly dissapeard with time. Though they are extreamly tight I can use them after I have stretched them out after some use with wet socks.

At the same time I ordered a pair of boots on the Rui last and I had the oppertunity to change the size of those to a UK 10 before they were delivered. Those fit as a glove in UK 10 and there is no heal slip or tightness anywere. A perfect match.

/M

Also a thank you from me. I have a UK9.5 in the Loake Capital and it is just a little large. I thought maybe I should go down to UK9 for a Meermin Hiro, but if it fits a little more snug then staying with the 9.5 should be good for me.

Last edited:

smoothmoose

Reaction score

Cheers! This particular pic came during my holiday in Hong Kong. There's a polisher in Murray Road Carpark, Central who did this using Kiwi polish for $50hkd. I normally shine shoes myself with Saphir Creme Surfine & Kiwi for polish & buff, but I'm a sucker for these old Hong Kong traditions that will sadly die out with their generation.
With Kiwi polish? I can't get that shine with Kiwi, but can with Saphir and Lincoln.

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need opinions guys. As I've already noted, I'm heading to Spain and am going to hit Meermin and Carmina. Based on aesthetics alone,

what would you choose between these groups (putting aside Meermin partisanship)?

vs.

and

vs.

I like both of the Carminas better. I am not a big fan of medallions on monks.

Hudson

Reaction score
Can those of you who have bought a pair of Meermins help me?
I just received a beautiful pair of loafers that I bought a month ago, which were supposed to be a size 8 UK.

However to my chagrin, my feet could not even fit inside! The sticker on the box is written size 8, however the size written inside the loafer is 6.5.
I double checked the order receipt to make sure I had ordered the right size. It seems I had.

My first thought was that 6.5 could be Spanish shoe sizing, but after some research I realized this was not the case.
Could Meermin have made a mistake on my order and perhaps placed the wrong pair of shoes into the box?

At any rate, if this is indeed a case of Meermin mistakenly sending the wrong size, I was wondering if this would be grounds for a full refund and exchange plus shipping and duty costs. I have paid more than 80 dollars for duties and taxes to have these babies shipped to me, and it would be a great pain to have to pay that again simply because Meermin made the mistake of sending me the wrong size.

Or is 6.5 just some weird sizing measurement that I don't know about?

Any help that anyone can offer is much appreciated!

topos

Reaction score
Can those of you who have bought a pair of Meermins help me?
I just received a beautiful pair of loafers that I bought a month ago, which were supposed to be a size 8 UK.

However to my chagrin, my feet could not even fit inside! The sticker on the box is written size 8, however the size written inside the loafer is 6.5.
I double checked the order receipt to make sure I had ordered the right size. It seems I had.

My first thought was that 6.5 could be Spanish shoe sizing, but after some research I realized this was not the case.
Could Meermin have made a mistake on my order and perhaps placed the wrong pair of shoes into the box?

At any rate, if this is indeed a case of Meermin mistakenly sending the wrong size, I was wondering if this would be grounds for a full refund and exchange plus shipping and duty costs. I have paid more than 80 dollars for duties and taxes to have these babies shipped to me, and it would be a great pain to have to pay that again simply because Meermin made the mistake of sending me the wrong size.

Or is 6.5 just some weird sizing measurement that I don't know about?

Any help that anyone can offer is much appreciated!

They use UK sizing, so they made an error.

e8487

Reaction score

I like first choice in Group 1 and second in Group 2. Coming to Spain, I guess Madrid will be your destination. I suggest you to visit also Berwick 1707 just 2 minutes walk from Meermin, in Jorge Juan Street. Nice emerging brand!

vs.

and

vs.

Hudson

Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurance. I have messaged Sandro and hopefully he will reply on Monday. He was quite prompt and helpful with my previous interactions with him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads