• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to find Gems at Marshalls/Ross/Burlington/TJMAXX/etc...

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBrown85
I haven't found any PRL in Winners, but I've got a few Gant Rugger shirts, Penguin button-ups. I've seen some Salvatore Ferragamos (probably because of a grand opening or whatever) but they were kinda ugly and still abuot $400.

I saw a Jil Sander suit for $400 at Winners, but it was like a 52 and I'm a 44. I used to go by the Winners every week or two when I lived at U of T. To be fair, I think my best purchase was a pair of Fendi sunglasses for $60. I dunno I think I might be imagining some goodness that didn't actually exist there.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt RL or any other brands make clothing specifically for these kinds of stores. Unlike at outlet stores, I rarely see more than 2-3 of any single item at these places, usually in huge sizes unless they're clearly from a past or previous season. It wouldn't make sense to design and manufacture a whole line only to sell 2-3 shirts per store. I do think it's likely, though, that when they end up with a run of clothing with quality not meeting their standards, such as fabric which fades quickly etc., it ends up at these stores.

Anyway, the OP was about Levi's, any time I've seen a selection of Levi's at Ross/Marshall's (I forget which is which), they are assorted styles and all stamped IRREGULAR. I never know exactly what that means (that video posted earlier was hilarious btw) but it's something to watch out for.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol. A thread about how to find polo shirts at TJMaxx. I'd honestly rather read about LL Bean.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak
I doubt RL or any other brands make clothing specifically for these kinds of stores. Unlike at outlet stores, I rarely see more than 2-3 of any single item at these places, usually in huge sizes unless they're clearly from a past or previous season. It wouldn't make sense to design and manufacture a whole line only to sell 2-3 shirts per store. I do think it's likely, though, that when they end up with a run of clothing with quality not meeting their standards, such as fabric which fades quickly etc., it ends up at these stores.

Anyway, the OP was about Levi's, any time I've seen a selection of Levi's at Ross/Marshall's (I forget which is which), they are assorted styles and all stamped IRREGULAR. I never know exactly what that means (that video posted earlier was hilarious btw) but it's something to watch out for.

Quoted For Truth.
Outlet's you're more likely to find items made for outlet purposes, Brooks Brothers and J Crew does this...
Oulets really used to be for B grade items, but now companies make lines for the outlet like 346 BB shirts, suits, etc.
I highly doubt they'll make inferior quality "polo shirts" to sell at Marshalls, which they don't even own. It'd make sense that at the RL outlet store, they would do that.
I'm pretty sure items aren't made to sell to STD stores, but rather are defective/irregular items which didn't pass QC.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak
I doubt RL or any other brands make clothing specifically for these kinds of stores.

Originally Posted by plei89
Quoted For Truth.
Outlet's you're more likely to find items made for outlet purposes, Brooks Brothers and J Crew does this...
Oulets really used to be for B grade items, but now companies make lines for the outlet like 346 BB shirts, suits, etc.
I highly doubt they'll make inferior quality "polo shirts" to sell at Marshalls, which they don't even own. It'd make sense that at the RL outlet store, they would do that.
I'm pretty sure items aren't made to sell to STD stores, but rather are defective/irregular items which didn't pass QC.

And you'd both be wrong, sort of.

RL, Calvin Klein, Calvin Klein Jeans and a few others all make merchandise specifically for Marshalls/TJ Maxx, Ross stores, Burlington Coat factory. Sometimes the product is exactly the same as you can buy in a department store and sometimes it is slightly different or last years model etc. It's not always easy to say it's inferior. Sometimes it might be different, sometimes not. Even if it is different it doesn't always make in inferior. The reason they do this is pure volume.

Marshalls/TJ Maxx (same company bought by the same buyers) have over 1600 stores. Even though manufacturers are selling to the discount stores at a discount there are less other costs involved in doing business with them. After end of season margin settlements with major department stores, the business done with off price retailers is often more profitable than doing business with Macy's, Bloomingdale's or Saks.

This comes from someone who used to manage this exact business for a brand.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by innerstyle
The key is to bend down and look on the floors.
laugh.gif

http://comedians.jokes.com/sebastian...ress-for-less/

Originally Posted by mack11211
I love a bargain but those stores are just too depressing.

Brilliant!

I really, really hate TJmaxx, for every good thing I've found, RRL Jeans, OK higher end RLP stuff, good wool socks, I've had to sift through tons of crap.

I think the decent stuff to **** ratio is higher at thrift stores.

adidasfan

Reaction score
i love shopping at these discount places
like TJ Maxx, Nordstrom Rack, Ross, Marshalls and outlet malls

i have relatives all over the world and its made
my life so much easier buying cloths.

most of the stuff they have is just junk, but they
do have some amazing stuff.

i have found so many amazing pieces i am really surprised.

i make it my saturday morning ritual to hit up at least 3 of
these stores.

I live in san diego and we have some very well stocked outlet stores.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads