• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fragrance Appreciation

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leon12
Floris stopped distributing in the States themselves. http://www.shoplondons.com/ is now the US distributor. This thread need more Penhaligon's! When my Opus 1870 gets here Tuesday, I'll post a pic of my collection..
I got some samples of Penhaligon's... along with some bath soaps:
dscn9540je8.jpg
dscn9532ts4.jpg
dscn9538kx4.jpg
dscn9531sc5.jpg

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dscn9527yi3.jpg
dscn9526dc8.jpg
dscn9525sk3.jpg
dscn9520ku7.jpg

misterbowles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
Ormonde Jayne - Champaca - heady and heavy

Champaca.jpg

Czech and Speake - Neroli - a really good neroli

Neroli.jpg

Ah, but their #88 is to die for! One of my all-time favorites.

misterbowles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Anyone here use/like X by CLive Christian? I have used that for casual and it has a unique scent.

I had a decant of it at one point. I really liked it; a very well-structured and classic scent...but not nearly worth what Clive Christian charges for it, in my opinion.

zr0e

Reaction score
2503550915_57321f32a6_o.jpg
2503551433_a6f8660687_o.jpg
2504384034_83db29eae0_o.jpg
2503551333_4fe591c540_o.jpg
2503550827_42e7101ab2_o.jpg
2504383780_c6929eb8b0_o.jpg
2504383556_604eab417b_o.jpg
2503551143_0dd0ee567a_o.jpg
2504383886_c59863b3f5_o.jpg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
What do you think of the Jicky bottle? BTW, until someone proves otherwise, the The Different Company bottles are the nicest (and I like two of their scents, too).
I checked these out for the first time today. The bottles are really nice, but the scents were not for me. I also like the Frederic Malle bottles.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I checked these out for the first time today. The bottles are really nice, but the scents were not for me. I also like the Frederic Malle bottles.

I like Rose Poivree and Sel de Vetiver. The latter took me a while to like, as I had to get past the very girly opening. But the part that sticks is very nice. Rose Poivree is pretty intense and distinctive. It is easy to see not liking it.
I haven't given any of the others much consideration, though I have samples of them.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Our Creeds. Some of these are worn exclusively by Mrs. Dmax.
VintageCreed.jpg
Creed.jpg

That is AWESOME!
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
I must ask -- which are some of your favorite Creeds?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the coolest fragrance package I have seen. A machined aluminum case that houses a 50ml bottle. The obvious problem is that the 50ml bottles are not refillable and are TDC only. I can't see spending the money on a cannister that may not be usable forever. But I have seen it at Takashimaya and it is amazing.
tdcedt016.jpg
Here is a photo of the basic TDC bottle lineup:
25301.jpg
I have a bottle of Sel de Vetiver in the smaller 90ml size shown. I also have a 90ml bottle of Rose Poivree in a black leather case like that shown for the 250ml. The bottles for the 90ml and 250ml are identical quality and the appearance is the same for all scents across the line. The chief benefit of the leather case is that I use it to tell the Sel de Vetiver and Rose Poivree apart as the colors are the same and the type is tiny. The leather case used to be included as standard for both sizes. Now they charge $90 for the 90ml version, but make an assortment of colors. I asked the SA at Takashimaya to pull one from an older bottle of something and give it to me when I bought the Rose Poivree since new shipments no longer had the case included. These really are spectacular bottles and it is worth finding a B&M stockist for TDC so you can see how good a product can be made. The machined aluminum "Long Trip" and "48 Hours" are mind-blowingly impressive.
tdcedt006.jpg
I bothered to post this because I have been disappointed by how crappy so many fragrance bottles are. I haven't looked at the expensive parfum bottles from places like Guerlain, but most EdTs and EdPs I have seen tend to use cheap plastic caps or tops, though they sometimes try to make them look like metal or plastic. The worst offender was Bulgari Black, which has a decent bottle in a rubber jacket, but the atomizer and built in cap are made of a flimsy plastic. What bugs me about it is that the atomizer/cap is it's own on/off switch, so it has to be manipulated and it is hard to imagine it surviving much abuse. To me, the packaging degrades the experience, since you have to interact with it. It also makes me aware that they are willing to cut corners. The Different Company packaging, on the other hand, is obviously a "no compromise" endeavor.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers, Dmax!

wow, that is a serious collection of Creed.

I guess these large collections beg the questions:

+ just how long does a bottle of cologne "keep," if stored in a dark place (i.e. cabinet)?

+ How long does a bottle typically last you? Or, a better question might be how many spritzes you take per application for the day?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads