• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fragrance: Spring Top Favorites

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

rach, is any perfume too feminine for you?

I don't like artificially sweet florals, fruity florientals, etc., because they lack depth and presence. These are often marketed as "feminine" and so I suppose in this way they'd be too "feminine" for me.

I"m being tongue-in-cheek with the "it's too feminine for you manly men," but I only mean to challenge SFers to expand their horizons; truly you'll find that if you took the labels off it would be impossible to define what means "feminine" and what means "masculine" except for advertising (indeed, I'd be curious how one could explain without recourse to marketing or simple bias how a sweet bergamot note is more "masculine" than an indolic jasmine)

As well, getting one's self off the "gender" bias of scents would see them making some all around better fragrance choices; a man who wears citrus scents might be surprised how much he likes a floral like Chamade or Hiris. A fan of Egoiste might surprise himself how much he enjoys Samsara or Shalimar. One who wears Tom Ford might be surprised at a classic Chypre like MIss Dior or Givenchy III.

Sure, L'interdit or Chanel no. 5 might be tougher sells... but I'd say again that's mostly because of that initial blast of aldehydes. WHen they wear off (quite quickly) you are left with a nice, ambery, woody base with musk that is no more "feminine" than (again) Egoiste, JPG Le Male, etc.

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just not sure what constitutes a "spring" scent, inasmuch as the division is usually summer/fall/winter.

Still loving Hermés Un Jardin Sur le Nil.

Also, I think that TF Italian Cyprus or Bond no.9 Brooklyn would do well in springtime. Especially as you get more earthy scents in there besides just the cyprus leaves. I like Brooklyn because of the grapefruity citrus opening, while not being a summer screamer.

Reaction score
I haven't had nearly as much time - not to mention money - to try out all the colognes on this list. Here are the ones I've gotten a chance to try - some I like more than others:

Hugo Element - fresh and beachy - my perfect summer scent. Hints of ginger and cedar, sea salt.

Givenchy by Givenchy - tangerine and grapefruit with wood notes and a surprising hint of coriander. Makes me want to drink bespoke cocktails.

DKNY Men - another breezy scent; citrusy and herbal, sandalwood notes.

Diesel Only the Brave - my go-to cologne right now. Citrus and amber, lingering vanilla scent. Perfect seasonal transition scent.

Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

(...) A fan of Egoiste might surprise himself how much he enjoys Samsara or Shalimar.
(...)

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA recommending Guerlain. BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAH. !!!!

Granted, I've never tried those two but still. They're Guerlain.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(...) A fan of Egoiste might surprise himself how much he enjoys Samsara or Shalimar.
(...)

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA recommending Guerlain. BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAH. !!!!

Granted, I've never tried those two but still. They're Guerlain.

You no like Guerlain?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

You no like Guerlain?

With a couple of exceptions (vetiver and pampelune), no. I've tried them over and over again: the classics, the recents, etc, perhaps a dozen, and I just don't like them. I haven't tried the special lines (Matiere, Parisien, epheme) but given the awful luck thus far, I'm willing to let them pass me by unsniffed.

hmmm, a dozen?
Vetiver
Pampelune
Anisia Bella
Mitsouko
Jicky
Mouchoir
L'Instant edp
L'Instant Homme
Habit Rouge
Habit Rouge Legere
Heritage
Coriolan
Chamade Homme
Homme

yep.

IcemanGQ

Reaction score
So which cologne do you fellas reach for before heading out to a bar/club in the evening and you know it's gonna be hot in there. I agree with above poster who mentioned Hugo Element, I like that one as well as the Hugo by Hugo Boss, always loved that one more in the fall/winter tho. One of my favorite spring/summer colognes would be the Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue, has a really fresh, clean smell!

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^
Un Jardin sur le Nil
Voyage d'Hermes
Prelude to Love
Alexander McQueen Kingdom

(One of those four is meant as a joke. I would never wear it into a hot environment where I'd be close to other people. Unless I disliked them.)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeKirk