• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

exploited

Reaction score
So at the moment I own three M65 jackets. An alpha industries from 82, an Orslow and an RMC early model. I have long wanted a 1st model because the original is large and boxy. I found the Orslow on sale last winter at a great price and jumped at the chance. Unfortunately it doesn't fit me the way I wanted so I ordered an RMC as well. The Orslow is a size 2 and the RMC is a L. For reference I'm 180 and 72 kg.

I washed the RMC at 40 degrees and tumble dried it for 30 minutes to get the fit I was after. The RMC M65 fits exactly the way I want it. It's roomy enough for layering and it also looks great with just a shirt or t-shirt. Would say it shrinks to a large Medium.

HOWEVER, the quality between the Orslow and the RMC jacket is enormous. I think Orslow has a much better finish in the seams and the fabric feels more exclusive. The seams on the Orslow jacket are perfect, while on the RMC I have found a few faulty stitches. The inside of the Orslow is really nice with nice finishes on the seams. RMC has unfinished "single stitch" finishes, which feels very cheap for a jacket that costs almost 900 euros. Anyway, I'm incredibly happy with the fit of the RMC but they could really improve quality of the interior.

Attachments

• IMG_2589.jpg
    IMG_2589.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2587.jpg
    IMG_2587.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2586.jpg
    IMG_2586.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2585.jpg
    IMG_2585.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2584.jpg
    IMG_2584.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_2583.jpg
    IMG_2583.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 230

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
HOWEVER, the quality between the Orslow and the RMC jacket is enormous. I think Orslow has a much better finish in the seams and the fabric feels more exclusive. The seams on the Orslow jacket are perfect, while on the RMC I have found a few faulty stitches. The inside of the Orslow is really nice with nice finishes on the seams. RMC has unfinished "single stitch" finishes, which feels very cheap for a jacket that costs almost 900 euros. Anyway, I'm incredibly happy with the fit of the RMC but they could really improve quality of the interior.

I guess the "cheap seam" finish on RMC jacket is on purpose to somehow mimic the finish of the original M-65 jacket finish. You might not like it but I think it is rather an aesthetic intention than quality issue. The same goes for the fabric itself. The RMC's aim was to produce something that is very close in look and feel to the original deadstock cotton sateen, not to produce the nicest version of the fabric possible. When I compare my original M65 to the one from RMC, I think RMC really succeeded in their goal.

Last edited:

exploited

Reaction score
I guess the "cheap seam" finish on RMC jacket is on purpose to somehow mimic the finish of the original M-65 jacket finish. You might not like it but I think it is rather an aesthetic intention than quality issue. The same goes for the fabric itself. The RMC's aim was to produce something that is very close in look and feel to the original deadstock cotton sateen, not to produce the nicest version of the fabric possible. When I compare my original M65 to the one from RMC, I think RMC really succeeded in their goal.
I hear you. I love the material on the early model. It was just a comparison between RMC and Orslow. I have never handled an original 1st model so can’t speak for that. When I compare the interior of RMC and Orslow with my model from 82 I think Orslow is closer.

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This an appropriate thread to talk about Relwen? I have not moved up to affording RMC type stuff yet :)

Probably not the right thread, given that this is the Japanese repro clothing thread.

Shame though, I have been eyeing the Relwen relaxed blazer (seems like they call it the Flex or the Trap) off and on for years but haven't had the chance to see one or try one on in person.

Would love to hear if anyone has seen one, tried it on, or even bought one.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably not the right thread, given that this is the Japanese repro clothing thread.

Shame though, I have been eyeing the Relwen relaxed blazer (seems like they call it the Flex or the Trap) off and on for years but haven't had the chance to see one or try one on in person.

Would love to hear if anyone has seen one, tried it on, or even bought one.

I posted in here awhile back, so if you're in the wrong place, so am I.

I had that jacket for a season in corduroy. Overall solid piece, a bit of stretch, slim, cropped length (on me, at least). The trapper pocket (hence the name) and stand collar are what set it apart for me. Similar style to the Manifattura Ceccarelli Alligator jacket. I am 6'3" and was probably around 225-230 lbs at the time of ownership.

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had forgotten that you posted, thanks! Great to know you found it a solid piece.

You mentioned your own size but not which size jacket you went for?

WaIIace

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some quality 1920s cardigan repro? Similar to Freewheelers one but something cheaper (or maybe the Freewheelers one can be had somewhere on sale?)

Attachments

• wwwww.PNG
    wwwww.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 108

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some quality 1920s cardigan repro? Similar to Freewheelers one but something cheaper (or maybe the Freewheelers one can be had somewhere on sale?)
Herning, seh Kelly, dehen, artknit, Drake's, John smedley, armoury, Scott and charters, Inverallan...
You didn't mention, but I assume you're looking for wool.

WaIIace

Reaction score
Herning, seh Kelly, dehen, artknit, Drake's, John smedley, armoury, Scott and charters, Inverallan...
You didn't mention, but I assume you're looking for wool.
I am looking specifically for the 20s style, shaker-stitch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240330-090610.png
    Screenshot_20240330-090610.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 515

WaIIace

Reaction score
On that note, who makes high-quality wool half-belt plaid jackets repros?

Attachments

• 38360b48cf3f4cd1269ed0aa5fce74d9.jpg
    38360b48cf3f4cd1269ed0aa5fce74d9.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 463

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On that note, who makes high-quality wool half-belt plaid jackets repros?
You'll most likely have better luck looking for vintage jackets. I've mostly seen repro brands do solids color wool sport jackets, the most common being a navy melton. Sugar cane has done plaid versions in the past but I haven't seen any recently. Groovin high did a two-tone last year for their fall season too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads