• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eidos Napoli

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We are nearing the end of our Unionmade drops (there may be one more raincoat style) but the balance of our woven shirts and lightweight outerwear dropped today. Here's a preview.

Levi Italian Indigo yarn-dyed cotton painter's smock. Shirting weight outerwear for you warm weather climate folks. great over a tee or on its own with denim.

Tonal indigo butcher stripe popover in matte cotton/silk botonato. I developed this cotton quality with a donegal-like silk button weft exclusively with Grandi & Rubinelli to replicate an old, gummy silk wide stripe cabana shirt that was my grandfather's. When I showed him the original, Mr. Rubinelli smiled, held up a finger and walked away quickly, shouting over his shoulder "No one has asked for this in 25 years!" After 10 minutes, he came back with a beautiful piece of dusty blue fabric with the same hand and finish. It is now one of our signature qualities that we will be running year round.

Righe midnight garment-dyed Japanese cotton herringbone pullover jacket. Based on Spanish sailing smock from the 1960s, we shortened the oversize sailor's collar into a simple stand up. I really like how it can be layered under outerwear on cold days or worn as a top layer on its own during the fall and spring.

Courtier 1 piece collar BD shirt in midnight overdyed Italian flannel. Another exclusive development with Grandi & Rubinelli in their insanely soft "Teddy" cotton flannel quality. I don't know about you guys, but I am really tired of colorful plaid shirts. This season, I challenged myself to develop some quiet plaids that I actually want to wear and this was one of my favorites. I think the overdyed checks have a nuanced "shadowy" feel that is a nice point of difference from most of the other things in the market.

Band collar shirt in overdyed indigo (color, not dye) "painted" check, The fabric is a limited edition print from the Japanese mill Sevenberry and I loved the idea of a shirt pattern that looked like it was painted freehand. As with the BD above, we overdyed the shirts to lend some subtlety to the final effect.

One thing to note, all the images on the site are blowing out the color a bit. Everything is slightly dormant than it looks in the full garment photos.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything looks beautiful. I think you already answered this but just to make sure, will there be any Courtier shirts for SS?

@NickPollica

ezlau

Reaction score
Antonio - is the coutier BD collar similar to the collar style used in popovers a few seasons ago, with the exception that it's a one piece collar? I have a popover shirt in green/brown checks from Bloomingdales. I remember you saying that it was a copy of an old BB shirt that your father owned.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Antonio - is the coutier BD collar similar to the collar style used in popovers a few seasons ago, with the exception that it's a one piece collar? I have a popover shirt in green/brown checks from Bloomingdales. I remember you saying that it was a copy of an old BB shirt that your father owned.

Yep - same shape, still very soft, just a different construction. Our button down collar comes from one of my father's Brooks Brothers shirts from college circa 1963. The point are long and the roll is proper.

ezlau

Reaction score

Yep - same shape, still very soft, just a different construction. Our button down collar comes from one of my father's Brooks Brothers shirts from college circa 1963. The point are long and the roll is proper.

Thanks. I remember now, it was called the Aldo model. Collar is extremely soft and comfortable to wear. Can you comment on what you mean by a different construction? Is this referring to lining / fusing? Is the Aldo completely unlined / unfused, and how is the collar on the Coutier treated?

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks. I remember now, it was called the Aldo model. Collar is extremely soft and comfortable to wear. Can you comment on what you mean by a different construction? Is this referring to lining / fusing? Is the Aldo completely unlined / unfused, and how is the collar on the Coutier treated?

You got it - Aldo was my father's nickname in college. Both styles are made completely without fusing or interlining in the collar. The difference is the Aldo has a traditional 2 piece construction and the Courtier has a 1 piece.

Fascinating choice. Why?

A white (or in this case natural, undyed and unbleached fabric) shirt has no distractions. You can't hide flaws with color or pattern. Its all about silhouette. If you like the idea of this collar, then its purest expression is the simplest one.

Last edited:

ezlau

Reaction score
Antonio - in addition, can you comment more about the Japanese oxford in Ecru / Natural used in the Courtier shirt you linked above? It is always interesting to read about the mill / story behind a shirt or design. Also, what is the weight of t he Japanese oxford? I am used to OCBDs from Mercer and Sons and their oxford are like selvedge denim - stiff at first but well worth the effort to wear them in until they are soft.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Antonio - in addition, can you comment more about the Japanese oxford in Ecru / Natural used in the Courtier shirt you linked above? It is always interesting to read about the mill / story behind a shirt or design. Also, what is the weight of t he Japanese oxford? I am used to OCBDs from Mercer and Sons and their oxford are like selvedge denim - stiff at first but well worth the effort to wear them in until they are soft.

Sure. The Japanese oxford is woven by Shuttle Notes and is a 6.7oz narrow goods selvedge fabric. Its not as gusty as the Mercer one (although we have something like that coming next fall) because I wanted you to be able to wear it year round. Simply put, it is soft out the box.

mypants

Reaction score

Does anyone know what type of shipping method/courier to Canada Unionmade is using?

Ups ground from when I ordered last. $20 brokerage before they add customs, duty and taxes. You better love it tons before ordering (and be prepared to wait and deal with ups ground phone calls - pita if you ask me)...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads