• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
490585431_wAipQ-X2.jpg

Engineered Garments Engineer's Jacket in wool indigo "denim"
Buzz Rickson USN chambray shirt
5EP for Styleforum denim
Ironheart brown cowhide belt
Pantherella socks
Ralph Lauren (by Crockett & Jones) MacCallum chukkas in shell cordovan
Tiffany Etoile band in platinum
Archimede Pilot Original Limited Edition

Rickson shirt:

490595133_LTwGZ-X2.jpg

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
495101060_X63YU-X2.jpg

Wings + Horn fleece funnel neck cardigan
Nom de Guerre Classic Fit dark gray denim
Ironheart cowhide belt in brown
Pantherella socks
Alden monks in reverse calf, Aberdeen last
Archimede Pilot Original Limited Edition (such a stupid name) with Junghans manual movement, flat crystal replaced with domed crystal

- B

youngScholar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
495101060_X63YU-X2.jpg

Wings + Horn fleece funnel neck cardigan
Nom de Guerre Classic Fit dark gray denim
Ironheart cowhide belt in brown
Pantherella socks
Alden monks in reverse calf, Aberdeen last
Archimede Pilot Original Limited Edition (such a stupid name) with Junghans manual movement, flat crystal replaced with domed crystal

- B

My eyes! Ow!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
499894136_eWG2t-X2.jpg

Miu Miu wool jacket
Al's Attire for Self Edge white slub selvedge denim shirt
Kicking Mule Workshop 1980 denim, made in Japan
Flat Head tan steerhide belt
Pantherella socks
Borrelli (by Stefano-Bi or Santoni, afaik) calf derbies
Rolex (yawn) DateJust in SS

Shot with jacket off:

499894146_6ZMdp-X2.jpg

Closeup of the shirt, in 9oz black/indigo denim, vintage deadstock buttons, hand sewn button holes, and blue/white/blue cuff button hole colors representing the Greek colors :

499848967_ughLv-L.jpg

- B

jpo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
haha I will try to help. It is extremely unlikely that the pair of 10-year-old jeans you have in your closet are in any way attractive today. Unless you are a denim collector, the only thing you could have possibly bought 10 or 15 years ago which would still look good today are raw LVC 501 47s or raw Lees which would have been pretty hard to chance upon in 1995. If you got plain 501s in a stone wash, those look horrible now, yes they look like grandpa jeans. If you own Lucky, Seven, Diesel, etc, you may look more up to date, but in a douchebag way. So we've established that the jeans you have probably look bad, so now, what should you get? These days, the iGent wears straight leg jeans. Not boot cut, not tapered. Obviously, if you have an overarching need for something other than straight leg, go for it. But you are straying from the iGent Weekender manual. If you don't have a pair of dark jeans, you should get dark. Gray jeans, white, cream, light wash, are all fine. But you should have a pair of dark jeans as a go-to pair. Recommendations: I can think of decent $50 jeans (Uniqlo straightleg one wash or raw non-selvage), $100-ish (any slim dark Gap or Naked and Famous), $150-ish (entry-level japanese repro nonselvage, or APC, or LVC 47 raw), and $200+ (Japanese repro). Walking down the street, these can look remarkably similar. They are relatively narrow (8 inches or less on the cuff), straight leg, dark, and have minimal or no back pocket design. If you are on a really strict budget, I recommend Uniqlo straightleg or Gap on sale. This should run about $50.00. I would also recommend Lees authentics from their official website if they have your size. Lee is slashing the hell out of their prices. If you just don't want to be bothered too much, go get LVC 47s. They are only $175 and they are almost always available. If you want to go balls out, do research on japanese repro and other denim-culture brands. My personal favorites are Flat Head (incredibly unique color and fade, but still subtle) Iron Heart (excellent middle-of-the-road cut, 21 oz heavyweight), and Oni Blue (super slubby straight-leg)
where does one find lvc 47? I can't find anything like that on Levi's site or any others. thanks.

Cid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpo
where does one find lvc 47? I can't find anything like that on Levi's site or any others.

thanks.

cultizm.com

jpo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RLlikes
cultizm.com
I checked out cultizm.com, thanks. However no inseams longer than 34, which sucks for me, I need a 36. Also looked a the levi's UK site: it would be nice to have all those LVC's on the friggin US site, what the hell is up with that? Do Levi's stores carry the LVC lines?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpo
I checked out cultizm.com, thanks. However no inseams longer than 34, which sucks for me, I need a 36.

Also looked a the levi's UK site: it would be nice to have all those LVC's on the friggin US site, what the hell is up with that?

Do Levi's stores carry the LVC lines?

Levi's stores carry LVC, at least the SF store does. There was a time last year when they had piles of 47s, but I went a few months back and they had none. Probably cyclical.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have to say this has been a really helpful thread for someone like me who is isn't too into jeans but finds it necessary to wear them. Could I get your opinions on how this pair looks? They're Levi 559 Relaxed Fit. I went for the relaxed because they feel more comfortable when sitting down but I am worrying if they look too baggy when I am standing up. Sorry about the mess (I live in a dorm).
img1158.jpg
img1162.jpg
img1161.jpg
img1160.jpg

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I don't burn any bulbs, but I do appreciate your enthusiasm for getting me assistance.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Liquidus, yes they look too baggy. they remind me of pleated trousers actually. you should try a more straight cut, like APC New Standards or something like that.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to stay with Levis (or something under $100 I can try on in San Fran), what would you recommend?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads