• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could use some advice on a recent purchase. I just got a Levi's slim fit trucker jacket, and I'm a little concerned about the fit. Currently, it fits fine, but I've been making a lot of gym progress, and I'm worried it won't fit on about 6 months. Do the Levis jackets tend to stretch any, specifically around the shoulder area?

If this is the wrong thread for this, let me know BTW.
All denim stretches out a bit, but if you are adding a ton of bulk, no, it will not fit the same around your shoulders in six months. Neither will any of your other clothes.

I wouldn't worry about that though. You don't really know where you will plateau, or your goals may look very different in a few months.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. (Or to the right thread for this)

I've been on the hunt for the perfect pair of jeans for way too long.

Wants:
-slim fitting ~7.5" leg opening
- raw selvedge
- CLASSIC / HIGH rise, this has been the biggest issue

I've tried Gustin's slim fit, Raleigh Jones, left field Chelsea and various other less respected makers. Like I said the rise is usually the issue.

Suggestions would be appreciated!
Just saw this, but if you are still interested, Momotaro or Japan Blue "natural taper" or "high tapered": http://www.blueowl.us/collections/j...lvedge-denim-high-tapered?variant=10289059329 for example.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been looking for some new jeans now that Rag & Bone has seemingly discontinued its Fit 3 (the Fit 2 fits alright, but front pockets are wayyyyyy too shallow; phone doesn't even fit). Wouldn't mind a similar aesthetic (raw, rinsed, washed/distressed or even wax/resin coated are all fine) that can be dressed up or down, slim but comfortable and rise at 10in +/- since I'm not a fan of some of the really low stuff out there.

I'm not a denim head, but don't want it to look cheap (though I don't exactly view denim as art...). Some that have fit well in the past but just don't anymore are Acne and APC. Haven't worn 7s or Diesel since college. Have looked (online) at J Brand (had some before but not in years), John Varvatos, 3x1, 3sixteen, Raleigh, RRL, Naked & Famous and Jean Shop so far. Any others worth a look?

NathanBB

Reaction score
I am currently in crisis that my favorite jeans seem to have been out of production for such a time that finding a pair is impossible.
I currently wear the boot cut Edwin Sen Rainbow selvedge ED49.
I managed recently to locate a pair in Germany and am now looking for other stock or a suitable replacement, be assured when these go there will be tears.
Any thoughts.

emptym

Reaction score
Found an old pic and thought I'd bump this old thread w/ it:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads