• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

Brian SD

Reaction score
My input re: Somet Fit is amazing in the thighs and seat, but rise is REALLY low. Uncomfortably low, for me, even on a pair sized up one. Dying/indigo quality is... well, it's not as good as other jeans in that price range. I'd recommend if you pick up Somets that you maintain them well and keep them dark and dressy. When I compare the dying to some really exquisitely dyed jeans like 5EPs, 45rpms and Samurais, they really don't hold up that well. Here's a really old fit pic so you can see how Somet's fit a slender frame (and more importantly, see the super low rise):
cimg1939kf6.jpg

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which Somet is that? The 003 straight or the 008 slim fit? I think I see the 008 dart at the knee...

The 003 rise is higher and all around it was not as slim as the 008.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
481717915_xGxrq-X2.jpg

Flat Head flannel shirt in cotton selvedge
Nudie Straight Sven in flame selvedge
Flat Head tan steerhide belt
Pantherella socks
Frye Brando lace up boots in cognac
Tiffany Etoile band in platinum
no watch

Back:

481717918_q6hT3-X2.jpg

Closeup of fabrics, including the swell buttons on the shirt inlaid with mother of pearl

481717908_7mvmh-L.jpg

The flannel is selvedge and made up on vintage looms.

- B

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just like my dear Mama !.....

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, nice, Vox. This is the first of your casuals that I've been totally convinced by. You should remember this one for near Halloween.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
You would do well directing traffic.

There was this great exhibit at Mass MoCA this past summer...a set of looping video of this traffic person in Shanghai being getting absolutely no respect from the traffic, but soldiering on. It was oddly mesmerizing.

Originally Posted by james_timothy
Oh, nice, Vox. This is the first of your casuals that I've been totally convinced by. You should remember this one for near Halloween.

The best thing? I don't even need a mask.

- B

Brian SD

Reaction score
is that 008 or 003? how tall/heavy are you? what do you wear in 5ep/45rpms/sams?

Slims. Not sure which number they are. 6'0/135 (at the time of that picture). I wear 30 in SFx5Ep, 29 in normal 5EP, 30 in 45rpm/sams.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
There was this great exhibit at Mass MoCA this past summer...
Did you take 2 across to see it? One of my favorite rides. The view from that one bridge, gorgeous.

So that I'm not totally derailing the thread, I've washed and dried the r&b 15s's that I posted earlier, as people here advised. They barely shrank. It was low heat though, and I took them out before they were completely dried. Figured I could always shrink them more.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Did you take 2 across to see it? One of my favorite rides. The view from that one bridge, gorgeous.

Yep, Route 2...I love the twisty bits on the Mohawk Trail...it's possible that I might take the hairpins a tad faster than the speed limits...really glorious driving when the road is empty.

Here's an autumn shot off one side of the French King Bridge in colors matching the Flat Head flannel above:

482158206_VBHH4-O.jpg

- B

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of APC rescues a few months ago. I decided to size down 2 to a 30 since a pair of KMW 1950s in a 32 that I bought about a year ago eventually stretched and became too baggy for my liking.

Up until recently, I have only worn the APCs for a few hours at a time on the weekends because they were so damn tight at first. I am wearing them more now and they are beginning to stretch and become more comfortable, but not as much as I would have thought and hoped for at this point. I am beginning to wonder if I sized down too far. How long does it take these things to completely stretch out?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ They should stretch out some more, albeit not as quickly as during the first few hours of wear. You'll be fine, a lot of people size down 3 on Rescues, and even 4 for larger sizes.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
482158206_VBHH4-O.jpg

Wow. Thanks. It almost makes me cry. As glorious as that shot is, and it is glorious, it doesn't do justice to the glory of the real thing. The roads west of North Adams, into NY state are fun and twisty too. You've got to do it on a bike, motor or pedal, to have the full experience. Although, I'd bet your M3 would be fun too.
Originally Posted by LabelKing
De Nimes:..
Makes me smile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads