• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Wow. Thanks. It almost makes me cry. As glorious as that shot is, and it is glorious, it doesn't do justice to the glory of the real thing. The roads west of North Adams, into NY state are fun and twisty too. You've got to do it on a bike, motor or pedal, to have the full experience. Although, I'd bet your M3 would be fun too.

Makes me smile.

Yeah, it's great. I've kayaked under that bridge...pretty amazing. The linked shot is not my own, but the view is pretty much what you see from the water.

I went to a mountain biking skills clinic three years ago at the Olympic Center outside of Lake Placid. It was a great weekend...I stayed at the Mirror Lake Inn. Anyway, I drove from Boston to the Adirondacks...first the Mohawk through the Berkshires, and some of those country roads across the Taconics, and then into the Adirondacks: pure motoring heaven.

- B

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^ They should stretch out some more, albeit not as quickly as during the first few hours of wear. You'll be fine, a lot of people size down 3 on Rescues, and even 4 for larger sizes.

Thanks. Does the waist pretty much stretch the most first, and from there the thighs, seat, etc?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scnupe7
Thanks. Does the waist pretty much stretch the most first, and from there the thighs, seat, etc?

Depends on where your body applies the most pressure, which in turn depends on your build and the fit of the denim.

All others thing being equal, it will stretch most in the seat and thigh...the waist will be less simply because it is usally a double layer of denim.

- B

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Depends on where your body applies the most pressure, which in turn depends on your build and the fit of the denim.

All others thing being equal, it will stretch most in the seat and thigh...the waist will be less simply because it is usally a double layer of denim.

- B

Makes sense. Thanks!

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It's a Junya Watanabe for Comme des Garcons Homme Plus.

Thanks. Very cool. Whole look kicks ass.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Overcast Friday Casual:

486142395_BHLkV-X2.jpg

Engineered Garments CPO wool shirt-jacket
Helmut Lang t-shirt
APC New Standard denim
Ironheart cowhide belt in brown
Pantherella socks
Ralph Lauren (by Crockett & Jones) MacCallum chukkas in shell cordovan
Tiffany Etoile band in platinum
Archimede Pilot Original Limited Edition

- B

drop

Reaction score
^Very nice, Vox. Do you ever tuck your shirt when wearing jeans? I ask because I just picked up a pair of flat heads, and even with OCBDs I feel like I'm business casual up top, and migrant farm worker on the bottom.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drop
^Very nice, Vox. Do you ever tuck your shirt when wearing jeans? I ask because I just picked up a pair of flat heads, and even with OCBDs I feel like I'm business casual up top, and migrant farm worker on the bottom.

Rarely, and then only with the slimmest possible casual shirt. What I'm wearing above is a shirt-jacket, but the t underneath is also untucked.

The dressiest that I ever go shirts with jeans would be an OCBD...but then only if I'm wearing a navy blazer, which in turn is rarely.

The guys who look best with tucked in shirts, in my opinon, are very slender guys...I feel that I'm too mesomorphic to pull that off as well.

- B

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I'm surprised that you can pull of the NS. Did you go TTS? Or the regular sized down 2/3?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I'm surprised that you can pull of the NS. Did you go TTS? Or the regular sized down 2/3?

Regular sized down 2...probably could have gone 3, I'm going to hot soak this in a few.

- B

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger

I'm suprised too. I thought NS was only for rail-thin guys. Those look great.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
DEAR JEAN-INTERESTED PERSONS IN THE DC/NOVA AREA:

I'm going to be organizing a meet up at Farinelli's in Clarendon (right by the Metro) for an upcoming weekend date (maybe next Sat), to come and try on jeans with no obligation to buy while sipping complimentary scotch/tequila/wine/whatever else we have. Afterwards we'd go out for drinks/food at a local establishment.

If you are at all interested let me know! If next weekend doesn't work for a lot of people either it'd be super easy to pick another date.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do not let the New Standard fool you. it looks great on a lot of different body types.
If you have really big thighs you want pot for the rescue.
I would like to bring to your attention Crate denim. I carry them as well as Barney's.
The are better made than APC and you don't have to mess with the sizing issues.
The price point is 155.00 and they come in a few body styles.

Best,
Mauro

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads