• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
EDIT: So by ordering a pair of shoes, with shoe trees and saphir polish, I am required to pay DHL Canadian customs fees totalling $98.40. FYI for all you Canadians out there.

I hope they fit!

If anyone is aware of a way to reduce/bypass these fees, I'm all ears.. as I may want to order more in the future?

Sounds about right. 18% duty on shoes, sales tax on everything on top of that, plus a brokerage/processing fee. Only thing you can do is to try a national mail service which will route through Canada Post. They may still charge you but they're a little less diligent and the processing fee is max $10.

Belfaborac

Reaction score
Thanks Niklas, that's certainly very helpful. Nothing like getting the real skinny from a pro. :D

I guess that makes for another re-think. I certainly don't mind using coloured cream (there's no reason I can see why I would), but I get a bit sceptical when I read your comments on colour changes in the creases. Let me tell you what I have been considering in terms of a possible order and maybe you can tell me if my scepticism is founded in reality or not. If you have the time and inclination, of course.

What I've been thinking of is a colour along the lines of this Gabon Ebony:

gaboon-ebony-sealed.jpg

or these shoes:

SCURO_For-Her-Majesty.jpg

Reading what you say about creases and pigment being forced out, the picture which pops into my mind is of shoes in a lovely ebony patina like above, but with awful, lighter stripes running across the vamp. Is that something I can avoid more or less completely by regular application of an appropriately coloured cream, or is it something I'm just going to have to put up with if I put in an order?

niklasnordin

Reaction score
Thanks Niklas, that's certainly very helpful. Nothing like getting the real skinny from a pro. :D

Reading what you say about creases and pigment being forced out, the picture which pops into my mind is of shoes in a lovely ebony patina like above, but with awful, lighter stripes running across the vamp. Is that something I can avoid more or less completely by regular application of an appropriately coloured cream, or is it something I'm just going to have to put up with if I put in an order?
This shouldnt be a a problem. Saphir's Havana cream will work fine here.
There will of course be a striping effect, but that is also partly due to the difference in textures.
Look at my Saint Crispin's Crust. For me this is normal behavior and it goes away when I apply cream.

IMG_0568.JPG

Belfaborac

Reaction score
Thanks Niklas, I appreciate you taking the time. As it happens there's already a jar of Sapphire Havana in a drawer here, so I guess I'm already set. :)

Belfaborac

Reaction score
Whoa, hold your horses there! I'm afraid it's not about to happen right away, as I have 4 pairs of C&Js arriving in the course of this month and the next. Until those are all in the bag I won't be ordering more.

Still, that jar of Sapphire Havana will still be there to remind me when July has come and gone...

zanci

Reaction score
Ive been looking at a pair of shell cordovan loafers...

any experience with MTO yanko shell ?

Where do they source the shell from?

Mrlol

Reaction score
Hello guys, i have a pair of yanko that are new and that gives me blisters in the heel and are tight in the instep.

im wondering, is it anything i can do beside wearing them at home? How long should i be wearing them at home before taking them to a cobbler?

Emil S

Reaction score
Hello guys, i have a pair of yanko that are new and that gives me blisters in the heel and are tight in the instep.

im wondering, is it anything i can do beside wearing them at home? How long should i be wearing them at home before taking them to a cobbler?
Based on personal advice i would recommend you to use blister plasters and to wear them at some proper walks (not to long in the beginning). The heel is made of leather board and Will adapt to your feet and the instep Will also adapt. However My personal experience is that its hard to "Walk in" a pair of shoes entirely in your own home since you usually dont talk proper walks inside. (If you dont own a castle or similar ;) ).
The lacing in the instep Will contract with use and if you still feel that they are to tight after a couple of real walks you can talk to a cobbler.

The Heat

Reaction score
Wondering if someone could help me differentiate the 915 and 962 lasts? The differences at the toe are relatively obvious, but can anyone describe how the middle and heal are shaped and/or fit differently? I'm having a hard time finding good side-by-side photos of the two lasts.

Mrlol

Reaction score
I'm thinking of ordering a pair of shoes for the winter but wondering what sole to choose.. I can choose between york, yanko rubber or vibram rubber. what would you guys recommend? thanks

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
I can second what Skolyx wrote, but please do not over do it. Do not go to 2-3 hours walks before long down the road, i've made that mistake with my AE. By the way, nice to see Yanko in person, they really do make nice shoes in Spain - Carmina is high high value for money as well.

Belfaborac

Reaction score

Here's what I've done for the past 20+ years when shoes have initially been too tight.

1. Take a quick walk around the block to identify the problem areas.

2. Fold paper towels to suitable sizes, dunk them in water and stick them on the shoes in those areas and cover in cling film to avoid evaporation.

3. Sit down, take your socks off and put 2-3 layers of sports tape on your feet in said areas.

4. Water has now penetrated the shoe leather, so remove the cling film and paper towels, put the shoes on and go for a walk. I tend to walk for 45 minutes to an hour.

By the time you get home again your shoes should have stretched and adapted to your feet and any problems should have gone away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads