• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
You can't just polish over it?
Yeah, I should have mentioned that. I'm debating whether I should just keep them and buy some dark chili polish to go over that spot. It may be unnoticeable after that, I'm just not sure. This is also a model that's only $50 more for the firsts.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know this for sure, but I suspect that major quality difference between shoe trees is the quality of the cedar used. For example, Allen Edmonds first quality shoe trees seem to be the deepest, darkest red color and the most potent smelling. I think this means the cedar used is from the heart of the tree. I've purchased AE seconds, and did not notice any difference in the finishing of the trees, but the wood used seems of somewhat lower quality to me - more marbled and less potent. JAB trees are similar to AE seconds in my experience. I'm guessing that the Chinese "cedar elements" and similar trees use the lowest cost Cedar available.

Again, I could be wrong on all this. And it only matters to the extent that you are anal about such minutia and think that the species of wood actually matters for shoe trees at all.

For what it's worth (as Buffalo Springfield might have put it) the Woodlore/AE/JAB shoe trees are Arkansas red cedar. Cedar in all grades is relatively inexpensive for pieces no larger than those used in shoe trees. Still, I guess it is possible the AE "second" trees have a less pungent aroma but that hasn't been my observation.

One way to restore some punch to your older trees is to lightly sand them in areas that won't affect fit.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Grangaard, CEO of Allen Edmonds, hosted a Q&A on Reddit today. What caught my eye is when someone asked him about bourbon and if there were plans on introducing a new "mid-brown color." In response, Paul replied "Yup! Stay tuned!!" So that is definitely something I'm looking forward to.

Here is a link to the full thread if anyone is interested.

I wish I knew about this. I would have asked him to please consider getting rid of profila binding.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well that is good news, but I am still unclear on what policy there will be on selecting a style to be made in shell. For example, I would love to get a Rogue in shell and it seems like I hear that is possible and I am told that it is impossible. Just picking new colors for those shoes already available in cordovan would not help me much.

I'm pretty sure that you can get any current AE model in the shell color of your choice during the trunk show. That wouldn't include the rogue because it is not a current model (was discontinued earlier this year along with the Steen and all on the 333 last), but would include the Carlyle (for instance) which does not normally come in shell.
At other times during the year, you can get shell in and current model, but you are limited in color (black/brown/burg) and have to pay an upcharge (something like $125).

TL;DR - pick any current (non-closeout) model and you can get it in shell. You won't pay for the privilege during the trunk show and get to choose from more colors.

Hmmm. The majority of shoes fit poorly. Calf MacNeils were really close so shell should be better. I think I will try to get whisky shell MacNeils.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know this for sure, but I suspect that major quality difference between shoe trees is the quality of the cedar used. For example, Allen Edmonds first quality shoe trees seem to be the deepest, darkest red color and the most potent smelling. I think this means the cedar used is from the heart of the tree. I've purchased AE seconds, and did not notice any difference in the finishing of the trees, but the wood used seems of somewhat lower quality to me - more marbled and less potent. JAB trees are similar to AE seconds in my experience. I'm guessing that the Chinese "cedar elements" and similar trees use the lowest cost Cedar available.

Again, I could be wrong on all this. And it only matters to the extent that you are anal about such minutia and think that the species of wood actually matters for shoe trees at all.

I believe you are correct. The outlets carry seconds on trees, and they're usually a few bucks cheaper than the ones sold in the retail stores. I believe they were $17 the last time I purchased them, and if I'm not mistaken, when the first quality go on sale, so do the seconds. The seconds look marginally different than the firsts, the only thing I've really noticed is they have more knots, and once on tree had a bad spring and wouldn't compress, but they just swapped it out next time I was there.

Also, when Paramus opened, the 15% off grand opening discount applied to trees and shoe care, so something to consider for those who purchase through newly opened stores.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My fifth avenues in dark chili just arrived. Aside from minor creasing on the other shoe, this shoe has some scuffs on the heel. Would you keep these for the $50 discount? The fit is spot on like all my AE shoes.
4e4df7956bcf545fd03a86305be5d788.jpg

I would probably keep those. Its on a less visible part of the shoe, and I think some polish will make it blend in rather well. Also, for some reason, though it doesn't happen to me all that much, I see a people with scuffs from walking in that area so it your one of them, you'll have to polish anyway.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well now that the Hurricane is over and the SC showbanks are reopen I got a call about the 2nd Shelton 1.0 that I was thinking about for $147.

They tell me the shoe is perfect as far as they can see so I went for it should have it this week.

Worse case I don't like it I will return it to the shoebank near work they don't charge me a fee so there is no risk.

I was going to go for the Shelton 2.0 but huge price diff even on sale so decided to see how I like the 1.0 from the bank.

That is a big price differential. When you get them, make sure to compare them to the the shape of the 2.0 posted by @pbrandes a few posts back. An option you could consider is waiting for a 2.0 to pop up on ShoeBank and grab them during a sale. Probably not $147 cheap, but....

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Grangaard, CEO of Allen Edmonds, hosted a Q&A on Reddit today. What caught my eye is when someone asked him about bourbon and if there were plans on introducing a new "mid-brown color." In response, Paul replied "Yup! Stay tuned!!" So that is definitely something I'm looking forward to.

Here is a link to the full thread if anyone is interested.

I'm never available for these things.

Probably for the better.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a big price differential. When you get them, make sure to compare them to the the shape of the 2.0 posted by @pbrandes a few posts back. An option you could consider is waiting for a 2.0 to pop up on ShoeBank and grab them during a sale. Probably not $147 cheap, but....
The shoebank does have the 2.0 they are $254.15 (odd .15) so that is still mostly $110 more shoebank 1.0 vs shoebank 2.0.

I know they will not be as narrow due to the last but let's see I will post pics when they arrive and just got shipping update they go out tomorrow arrive on Thursday.

So being so much less they the first on sale or even the shoebank taking my chance that they will be good.

The salesperson told me they look like they have never even been tried on he says they are perfect let's see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads