• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quickly skimmed the reddit discussion. It sounds like Paul was stating that the midnight navy is going to be around for a long time this Winter. Chances are if you wait, the price will go down. We'll see. Too late for me, but hopefully others will be able to save money.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys. Fairly new to the forum and Allen Edmonds. I recently picked up a pair of Higgins Mills and was wondering whether any of you treat your boots with a conditioner prior to wearing. This is my first quality pair of boots. I normally condition and shine my dress shoes prior to wearing. Thanks for any input. Love the forum thus far.

I treat all my shoes / boots before I wear them. The Higgins Mill is chromexcel and AE recommends their AE Leather Lotion only. That is what I used on all my chromexcel and it works great.

Chris

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quickly skimmed the reddit discussion. It sounds like Paul was stating that the midnight navy is going to be around for a long time this Winter. Chances are if you wait, the price will go down. We'll see. Too late for me, but hopefully others will be able to save money.

Where is the link to that page?

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Paul Grangaard, CEO of Allen Edmonds, hosted a Q&A on Reddit today. What caught my eye is when someone asked him about bourbon and if there were plans on introducing a new "mid-brown color." In response, Paul replied "[COLOR=222222]Yup! Stay tuned!!" So that is definitely something I'm looking forward to.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Here is a link to the full thread if anyone is interested.[/COLOR]

Paul mentioned football leather loafers coming back around the Super Bowl!

@allenedmondsceo! Do it on the Cavanaugh!

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well now that the Hurricane is over and the SC showbanks are reopen I got a call about the 2nd Shelton 1.0 that I was thinking about for $147.
They tell me the shoe is perfect as far as they can see so I went for it should have it this week.
Worse case I don't like it I will return it to the shoebank near work they don't charge me a fee so there is no risk.
I was going to go for the Shelton 2.0 but huge price diff even on sale so decided to see how I like the 1.0 from the bank.
You might want to check the AE eBay store. They still have the Shelton 2.0 in Walnut/Brown in a handful of sizes for $179.
Edit: Sorry, my browser went loco and messed up the formatting.

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Grangaard, CEO of Allen Edmonds, hosted a Q&A on Reddit today. What caught my eye is when someone asked him about bourbon and if there were plans on introducing a new "mid-brown color." In response, Paul replied "Yup! Stay tuned!!" So that is definitely something I'm looking forward to.

Here is a link to the full thread if anyone is interested.

@TexasTexter roz77 posted it on the previous page. Click the link above.

Gehenna

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I am new to this forum as well. I posted a separate topic in the "Advice" board regarding sizing/fit differences between Allen Edmonds and Ferragamo shoes (particularly the Tramezza and Lavorazione Originale lines). From there, I got directed to this topic in order to pose my question. Would anybody be able to help me out?

Currently, I own two pairs of AEs (the Sixth Avenue last from Nordstrom rack in Dark Hickory Brown and the Clifton in Walnut/Tan). So far, I have been extremely pleased with these purchases. I purchased my first pair of AEs in my normal sneaker size (10 1/2) extra wide. While this size and shoe are comfortable for me, they felt a little bit big. So, I sized down with the Cliftons in 10D, and they seem to fit me perfectly.

I know that Ferragamo tends to run narrower in terms of width. However, from trying on their shoes at local department stores, they seem to run half-a-size/full-size bigger than AEs depending on the model. Would this sizing difference also be consistent for the Tramezza and Lavorazione Originale lines? How does the also fit compare to AE (since Ferragamo does seem to run narrower)? I was thinking about ordering a pair off of eBay eventually (specifically the Candido Wingtip or the Primo Oxford), and felt the need to ask since trying the Ferragamo brand on in person has lead to more questions than answers honestly. Any input would be appreciated! Thank you!

Also, let me go ahead and say this: although I have only started to develop my professional wardrobe and personal sense of style recently, I can definitely say that AEs have been the best show I have owned hands down. They work perfectly for my field of work (finance) and can be dressed down as well. The higher ups at my job also appreciate them, since they also have several pairs of AEs themselves :). They have been one of the best investments so far for a younger person who recently started their career. Now, I am going to read up as much as I can on maintaining them!

Thank you all in advance for your help.

ny3pcg

Reaction score

I treat all my shoes / boots before I wear them. The Higgins Mill is chromexcel and AE recommends their AE Leather Lotion only. That is what I used on all my chromexcel and it works great.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I will definitely take that advice.

What is the general consensus here on the styling of the strandmoks 1.0 and neumok 2.0? I am having a hard time finding a casual shoe that would go well with dark denim, as well as chinos. I recently ordered a brown pair of strandmok 1.0's but now I am questioning whether that was the right choice and whether a wingtip would be a better choice. I like the neumok 2.0's but I find the brown color to be too dark. I've seen some previous posts of the discontinued mctavish and really wish they were still in production.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my A-E saddle shoes today. They are similar to Sheltons but don't have any model name in them so I call them "Surfer Eaters" since the saddle parts are made from sharkskin.

The socks are tan, but they look almost white in this picture.

Inspire

Reaction score

I am slightly limited in my experience with the 201 (too much volume for my flat feet) and still trying to zero in my size (despite having 35+ AEs), so take this with a grain of salt...
I brannock about 9.5D (heel to ball closer to 10.5), own the Amok in 9d, couple handfuls of 65s in 9D (one in 9.5D), and First Aves/Freiburg in 9D. Can't imagine going any shorter for a 201. In fact, I would have tried to go up to 9.5C if the option was available.

Thanks for the comparisons. The perfect size in a new last can definitely be an enigma; I'm still trying to find my sweet spot for the 333 last & the Cornwallis/1943 last.
The folks at AE also said the 201 should match my experience in the 65 regardless of being unlined, so I pulled the trigger and ordered the strandmok in 8E.
I'll give some feedback on 201 sizing when they arrive.

Last edited:

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Off-Topic Guy here. Suit update: I took a chance and ordered a navy Joseph Abboud made in the USA (check) suit which was marked down to $350 and I was able to pick a sport coat for "free" from (dear God!!) Men's Wearhouse. After reading about these suits, it appears they are half-canvassed (double check). I tried one on at the store on Friday and liked the cut of the jacket. As long as the fabric has a reasonably nice feel to it (triple check), I think it will serve me well. With some tailoring, I hope to even possibly look somewhat good in it.

Now that I have at least something appropriate to wear for my upcoming events, I'll be free to study more, bide my time and find something a bit more interesting and of better quality at a decent price.

Thanks again to everyone who has provided me with advice.

bkdc

Reaction score

The only midnight navy model I'm interested in is the Park Ave. I hope the price drops. The Cornwallis is nice, but it's a little too flashy for my taste, and it wouldn't get much wear. And the I think an extreme dark color like midnight navy doesn't do well with all the brogueing on the Strand where the brogueing details just get lost. I was actually hoping for a midnight navy BOOT like the First Avenue.

Last edited:

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would probably keep those. Its on a less visible part of the shoe, and I think some polish will make it blend in rather well. Also, for some reason, though it doesn't happen to me all that much, I see a people with scuffs from walking in that area so it your one of them, you'll have to polish anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still noodling over it, but I think you're right in that it would be easy to polish over.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comparisons. The perfect size in a new last can definitely be an enigma; I'm still trying to find my sweet spot for the 333 last & the Cornwallis/1943 last.
The folks at AE also said the 201 should match my experience in the 65 regardless of being unlined, so I pulled the trigger and ordered the strandmok in 8E.
I'll give some feedback on 201 sizing when they arrive.

Unfortunately I did not see your post earlier but I wear the same size as my 65 last for the 201. Fits great for that shoe for me in both lined and unlined. Hopefully it works well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads