• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Work: Billable Hours vs. Internet Fora Hours

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We have (had, at this point) a new employee in the office ... beginning in August. As with any new employee, his productiveness was rather low at first, but with this fellow, it never really picked up.

Rather quickly we became aware that he was devoting up to five hours a day to his favorite website -- posting comments on their various fora -- yet was turning in 8+ hours of time billable to his assigned project.

I had a talk with him ... he denied time spent in activity other than work ... even as his preferred Internet site was present on his computer screen (albeit diminished). As I got up to leave, I reached over and clicked restore ... to let him know I hadn't missed seeing it. I then tracked his time very closely and confirmed fully what we expected ... yet still he denied it. I even installed a small mirror (ostensibly for the purpose of feng shui) but which allowed me to see his monitor from an empty desk ... which I proceeded to occupy from time to time. Sometimes he'd be at the site for an hour or more without a minute given to work.

Well, he was fired ... at which time he finally confessed, "I'm sorry, I'm addicted to 'Internet Forum Debate' and can’t stop.”

Anyone here addicted … or care to comment about it?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly, this is why the American economy is on the brink. People don't work anymore, they go to People.com and watch reruns of The Today Show.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lord knows I spend my fair share of time on SF, but I also get my work done. Also, I'm salary, so there's no conflict with any hourly I may/may not be billing.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Rather quickly we became aware that he was devoting up to five hours a day to his favorite website -- posting comments on their various fora -- yet was turning in 8+ hours of time billable to his assigned project.

But was he spending 13 hours in the office?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
But was he spending 13 hours in the office?
No ... he wasn't. He worked our standard office hours ... 8:30 to 4:30*. Moreover, he usually arrived a few minutes late ... took a bit more than an hour for lunch ... and left a few minutes early. He really wasn't his resume ... which implied dedicated professional.

* Correction: I should have said he was turning in 7 hours of billable time a day ... as our work day is 7 billable hours. With 8 hours I was remembering days of old.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh, this is very standard, esp with facebook. were you looking at his visited sites?

but back in the day it was minesweeper.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
X1000000. no asshole would sit at their desk reading a magazine. nothing gets done anymore.

Originally Posted by Connemara
Honestly, this is why the American economy is on the brink. People don't work anymore, they go to People.com and watch reruns of The Today Show.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Lord knows I spend my fair share of time on SF, but I also get my work done. Also, I'm salary, so there's no conflict with any hourly I may/may not be billing.

Pretty much sums me up as well.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
We have (had, at this point) a new employee in the office ... beginning in August. As with any new employee, his productiveness was rather low at first, but with this fellow, it never really picked up.

I had a talk with him ... he denied time spent in activity other than work ... even as his preferred Internet site was present on his computer screen (albeit diminished). As I got up to leave, I reached over and clicked restore ... to let him know I hadn't missed seeing it. I then tracked his time very closely and confirmed fully what we expected ... yet still he denied it. I even installed a small mirror (ostensibly for the purpose of feng shui) but which allowed me to see his monitor from an empty desk ... which I proceeded to occupy from time to time. Sometimes he'd be at the site for an hour or more without a minute given to work.

Well, he was fired ... at which time he finally confessed, "I'm sorry, I'm addicted to 'Internet Forum Debate' and can't stop."

Anyone here addicted ... or care to comment about it?

Are you the one who fired
foo.gif
?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
foo.gif
?

I am not s/he. Different field entirely.

Edit: But I know nothing about this ... I mind my own business ... well, most of the time.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
foo.gif
?

Wow.. is this true? That's too bad... I am not one of the regulars on SF, but I have read MC enough to know who Mafoofan is...

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i would help you throw stones but i just windexed my glass house
devil.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher

Sums me up too. Plus I take work home, attend various civic/charity events for the organization on my own time, etc. And I actually am often doing paper work, or one sort or another, while cruising here. You can tell when I'm really multi-tasking, as I've noticed I leave entire words out.

Foo got fired?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Sums me up too. Plus I take work home, attend various civic/charity events for the organization on my own time, etc. And I actually am often doing paper work, or one sort or another, while cruising here. You can tell when I'm really multi-tasking, as I've noticed I leave entire words out.

Foo got fired?

is this true? i thought you guys were just joking. if it is, sorry to hear about it. im sure he can quickly find another job though.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
is this true? i thought you guys were just joking. if it is, sorry to hear about it. im sure he can quickly find another job though.

Easy there Sho'Nuff. Just because the holiday season is coming up and malls across America are going to be hiring the height challenged as elves, doesn't make it right to tell Foo that he has plenty of job opportunities out there for him.

In all seriousness, if this is true I wish Foo all the best and I'm sure it will end up working out for the better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads