• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Merry Xmas Good man. Has anyone here mentioned yet that you have several pairs of pants / jeans that are way too long and too baggy? A tailor could slim them up lickety split. ??
Edit: I see someone has already mentioned it.

This looks like how guys dressed in the early 1900s before Style Forum started doing its thing. I can’t be the only one here who thinks this outfit just does not work at all, can I?

I recall the saying, “If you don’t have anything nice to say”…

It’s not always easy though!

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merry Xmas Good man. Has anyone here mentioned yet that you have several pairs of pants / jeans that are way too long and too baggy? A tailor could slim them up lickety split. ??
Edit: I see someone has already mentioned it.

This looks like how guys dressed in the early 1900s before Style Forum started doing its thing. I can’t be the only one here who thinks this outfit just does not work at all, can I?

Danke für deinen Rat

Imperatores

Reaction score
I recall the saying, “If you don’t have anything nice to say”…

It’s not always easy though!

This type of comment really annoys me. What is the point of engaging in a superficial exchange of half-honest pleasantries? Helpful criticism and discussions about what works or not should be the backbone of this thread (and SF more generally). Sharing your genuine opinion in a civil and constructive manner is far more considerate than just meekly staying quiet or resorting to white lies to avoid bruised egos. Especially when we remember that this is an enthusiast forum, and not some vapid IG feed.

Brennenman

Reaction score
This type of comment really annoys me. What is the point of engaging in a superficial exchange of half-honest pleasantries? Helpful criticism and discussions about what works or not should be the backbone of this thread (and SF more generally). Sharing your genuine opinion in a civil and constructive manner is far more considerate than just meekly staying quiet or resorting to white lies to avoid bruised egos. Especially when we remember that this is an enthusiast forum, and not some vapid IG feed.
Agree 100%

Canadianguy

Reaction score

Well said, however, I still think there are times when certain things are best left unsaid. A complete absence of ?‘s speaks volumes when a fit is really beyond being helped.

Canadianguy

Reaction score
What do you mean?

I mean if there’s too many issues with a fit to even find something positive, it might be better to say nothing at all than to tear the person apart. Just my personal stance; I understand if other members don’t share this view. And to be clear I’m not pointing out any particular posters, just speaking generally.

Imperatores

Reaction score
Well said, however, I still think there are times when certain things are best left unsaid. A complete absence of ?‘s speaks volumes when a fit is really beyond being helped.

I get your point, but if some poor guy is always met with nothing but deafening silence and zero thumbs, how is he supposed to learn and improve? It's more likely to discourage him from participating on SF. We shouldn't forget all the lurkers that read these threads either. Most of the things I've learned about menswear have been by reading comments on other peoples outfits and the subsequent discussions. Not that we should all just pile onto every single poster with brutal honesty either, of course. If a few guys have given solid feedback, then that should suffice.

This might be a slight tangent, but I've noticed that a few users seem to thumb up literally any fit pic regardless of how dreadfully awful they are. I firmly believe that doing so (despite the good intentions) is a big disservice to the recipient. In those cases it's probably better to remain quiet.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get your point, but if some poor guy is always met with nothing but deafening silence and zero thumbs, how is he supposed to learn and improve? It's more likely to discourage him from participating on SF. We shouldn't forget all the lurkers that read these threads either. Most of the things I've learned about menswear have been by reading comments on other peoples outfits and the subsequent discussions. Not that we should all just pile onto every single poster with brutal honesty either, of course. If a few guys have given solid feedback, then that should suffice.

This might be a slight tangent, but I've noticed that a few users seem to thumb up literally any fit pic regardless of how dreadfully awful they are. I firmly believe that doing so (despite the good intentions) is a big disservice to the recipient. In those cases it's probably better to remain quiet.

This should be a thread for tactful, useful feedback with an intention to encourage inprovement. If you’re just being snarky, well, c__nts gonna c___nt.

However, constructive criticism should not be taken as an insult but framed within the spirit in which it is given.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Couldn’t agree more.
For some people, they have a need for thumbs / likes to prop up their insecurities (I’m sure those more schooled than I in psychology could come up with the correct terminology for this) so they post relentlessly and as long as there are a few thumbs are probably thinking they’re looking good which may be far from the case. Certain people could benefit from posting pics less frequently and carefully parsing the written feedback for tips. Thumbs are largely worthless in this case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads