• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The KNIT or GRENADINE NECKTIE Friday Challenge 20th June 2014

Who is your winner?

• Mr Chris

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • BetelG

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Upr

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Crat

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Murl

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • Monkey Face

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • Holdfast

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Cotton Dockers

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Sugar B

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Henry Carter

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • Nabilmust

• Don Cologne

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Elio

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Flying Monkey

• Levoosh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seajen

• Cleav

Votes: 17 20.0%
  • JHT 652

• Szeph el raton

• AAS

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Roycru

• Luv2

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • Gerry Nelson

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Steffenbp11

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • archibaldleach

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • in stitches

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • Academic2

• GMMcl

• PCK1

• Shen

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry to disappoint. It'll be making an appearance on WAYWRN sometime this week. Unfortunately, real life (heavy rain) interfered and I opted not to wear the jacket.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like Henry Carter's zig zag is a hit. If memory serves me, Braddock also graced these pages fairly recently with Shibumi's interpretation of same. Wonder if this contest will create a run on zig zag ties?

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His tie is indeed lovely (as is his jacket) but I just couldn't vote for a tie with a button-down collar. Thats just me though.
Gunn be close one
smile.gif

Well, that wasn't so close after all, was it?
wink.gif

Congratulations to @Henry Carter , well done mate! Thanks to everyone who voted for me, I really appreciate it, gentlemen. And thanks to everyone who entered and helped making this such a successful FC.
FWIW, I voted thus:
@Crat for choosing exactly the right shades of blue to go with that suit and those fantastic boots;
@Murlsquirl for the sheer beauty and quality of both suit and tie;
@Monkeyface for pulling off a linen suit like that, wrinkles and all.
There were many more fits that deserved a vote, but I make it my personal 'rule' to only vote for my top three. That was difficult, this time!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@Murlsquirl
for the sheer beauty and quality of both suit and tie;

Thank you, sir. You got one of my votes.

Congrats HC! Sad to say that like Crat, I couldn't find it in me to vote for a BD and tie. You pull it off very well time and time again, but it is just a look I can never get behind.

Last edited:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys and to everyone that voted. I have a challenge idea up my sleeve which I'll tell more about later.

FWIW, I love wearing button downs with ties as long as they have a good roll, plenty of collar point length and a bit of tie space. I see it as more appropriate to wear knits with than a cutaway collar for example. Was surprised that 2 Americans didn't like it as I see it as quite an American look as some of the above images show. Anyway each to their own.

Thanks again
Jason

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ All I'm saying is I can get behind the look in some cases. (Murl said "never")

I definitely like it with a casual SC or casual suit. It would be my preferred collar for a tweed too

Navy worsted suit is more controversial IMO.

Last edited:

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

^ All I'm saying is I can get behind the look in some cases. (Murl said "never")

I definitely like it with a casual SC or casual suit. It would be my preferred collar for a tweed too

Navy worsted suit is more controversial IMO.

Agree with this. Although I usually prefer a spread collar with a suit/tie, it is ridiculous to say that a BD collar is never okay with a tie. In fact, given a casual tie, such as a knit, and an equally casual jacket, I'd argue that a BD collar is preferable, and I'm sure many here would agree. Of course, said BD collar should have long enough points and enough spread to both create a nice roll and hide behind the jacket lapels (or close to it), and Henry Carter's Kamakura shirt accomplishes both.

What I dislike about HC's fit, though, is that he went with a white instead of blue shirt. IMO, blue is much more appropriate for a casual fit, and goes better with a brown tie. I also dislike the zig-zag weave knit. Otherwise, it's a nice fit.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ JRD
I'd go soft non-BD 10/10 but each to their own.

@ Evolve
I'm not saying its not/never OK, I'm saying I don't like it. There's a difference.

Last edited:

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

@ JRD
I'd go soft non-BD 10/10 but each to their own.

@ Evolve
I'm not saying its not/never OK, I'm saying I don't like it. There's a difference.

Fair enough, and I acknowledge the difference. I wasn't necessarily directing my comments at you, just getting my thoughts out there.

But let me ask you this hypothetical question: Assume all elements are as casual as can be. Completely unstructured sport coat in a light color with a large check pattern. Cotton trousers. Loafers. Knit tie. Linen shirt. Would you still prefer a point/spread collar, despite the formality of it compared to the rest of the outfit? I'm guessing you'll say that in such an instance you'd forego a tie altogether, but for the purposes of this exercise, that's not allowed. :p

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads