• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rambo, if it matters the Carmina boots are also calf. Would you suggest walnut or chocolate brown for the daltons?

I kind of like the larchmont as it is a bit sleeker than lets say a macneil, but I wonder if the macneils or an alden longwing are more versatile? and yeah, I get they are an acquired taste.

Right now I have AE Clifton captoe bluchers in walnut, Peal suede chukka boots, and brown AE penny loafers.

How about these for a more casual moc loafer with chinos or jeans? I hear good things about rancourt and co. and horween leather. Sorry I am somewhat clueless on "Smart" casual footwear i.e. I am not much of a chucks and jeans guy.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...ROWN&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=#null

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find Allen Edmonds and the J Crew all really ugly, so I vote for the Carmina out of those options. But high boots with all that brogueing seem like such a specific style of shoe. as if they'd go with very few things, like only a tweed suit or plus fours. I prefer simple plain toe boots for the casual look I think you're after.

Those loafer mocs are very preppy -- a look which I simultaneously loathe and I have a little soft spot for somewhere deep wihthin my hardened heart. So, I'd just be aware of that preppy thing before you get them.

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Aside from the last (which is fair) the AE and the Carmina are very similar I guess. I didn't realize people disliked Aldens so much as they get talked about alot here! I guess I will need to reassess a bit. I guess I should have clarified that I want a boot that can pull "double duty" as I can only afford one at the moment (not that I wouldn't buy another down the road to round out the collection if you will).

I don't mind a little prep. I like how penny loafers look on my feet especially and they seem like a good go to for many of typical outfits (patterned ***** and chinos, lots of cardigans and sweaters, etc.) and the like. I hear rancourts are also very comfortable which is something I am looking for as I do alot of sitting with my feet on the ground in libraries and coffee shops and such working on my dissertation.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Rambo, if it matters the Carmina boots are also calf. Would you suggest walnut or chocolate brown for the daltons?
I kind of like the larchmont as it is a bit sleeker than lets say a macneil, but I wonder if the macneils or an alden longwing are more versatile? and yeah, I get they are an acquired taste.
Right now I have AE Clifton captoe bluchers in walnut, Peal suede chukka boots, and brown AE penny loafers.
How about these for a more casual moc loafer with chinos or jeans? I hear good things about rancourt and co. and horween leather. Sorry I am somewhat clueless on "Smart" casual footwear i.e. I am not much of a chucks and jeans guy.
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...ROWN&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=#null

Well, I'm not a loafer guy, so I can't really comment on them. On the other hand, I DO do casual. Easiest way to do it - boots. Alden Indy's, Wolverine 1000 mile's, Red Wing's, Oak Street, etc.. There are a ton of options on the forums. I'm not a chukka guy either, mostly because I can't find them to fit my Fred Flinstone-like feet. If you need any specifics or recommendations feel free to ask.

I'm not familiar with the Carmina's but they get a ton of play around here. I do agree with Parker about the brogueing on the boots. Its a bit of a niche. Not something that I have a problem with, but others might. If something less "flashy" is wanted, try out the AE Fifth Street or even the new Haight, although that one would be stretching interview wear. As to color, you don't seem to have anything in black, so why not knock out two birds with one stone? Cordo, I know, but still. Saving that, I'd go with the dark chocolate.

Last edited:

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do like the look of several of the Wolverine and Red Wing boots but I didn't know if they were considered "attractive." I prefer some kind of toe detail as I find plain toes kind of, well, boring. I only really like them on monk strap shoes or bucks in the summer. To be clear, I don't need the boots for any interviews, I have that covered, I am mostly looking for something that can go with my flannels when I wear my odd jackets in the fall/winter and my jean and chino casual fits. I wouldn't wear brogue boots with a tshirt and jeans but I guess I could look into the cheaper wolverine or red wings for a plain toe or cap toe boot I like for the more casual line up.

The rancourt loafers are growing on me and with a BB discount and a few reward cards I have, the price wouldn't be too bad.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, if you want them to go with the flannels, then best stick to the AE/Carmina varieties. If you're looking jeans then the others could do it for you.

If the BB loafers make you happy then go for it.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Don't recall the exact name of the thread. Something along the lines of 'MC does SWD'. It was a 'challenge' thread - predating this here thread IIRC.

i shall use my not so insignificant powers to try and find it!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Citan, what about something like this?

http://wingtip.com/product/wolverine/montgomery-boot/27796

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you look quite young. younger than i expected.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In other clothing related news, I have narrowed my boot choices down to 2 and my longwing/brogue decision to two. May I have a penny for your gentleman's thoughts? Money is somewhat of an issue given that I am revamping my interview wardrobe as well (that is already taken care of, navy and charcoal suits and brown and black balmorals) but I am not opposed to going a bit higher if people really have an aversion to the cheaper alternatives.
Boots

Carmina
http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1706/Steinbeck-Shortwing-Boot-Brown/Detail

This is what I'm looking for, for a winter boot. Nice. In cigar shell would be even better. : )

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads