• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I couldn't agree more. Of course, I might have dropped a hint or two . . . .

Very nice! Such a classic watch.

I hope my wife will be half as generous :).

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a shot from the side that shows just how impossibly thin it is:

Simply a beautiful classic. As much as I like a variety of sport watches, its a nice change to see watches that are not 18mm thick and 50mm in diameter. Great watch enjoy it.
Does anyone know what are good online places to sell diamonds? I know it's a stretch, but figured I may just try the collective wisdom here. Asking for a buddy who's looking to sell an engagement ring...
peepwall[1].gif
Selling a diamond on line? That sounds like a terrible idea. Your buddy is going to mail his diamond to be evaluated/appraised and hope he get an offer for what he thinks is fair or declines and has to hope he actually gets the real diamond he sent in back? I have a bridge I could sell him. All kidding aside, talk to Stitchy he deals in that stuff.

I get what you are saying. The logo, font, and Piaget is definitely more stylized, and it is pretty darn cool. They kind of remind me of Cartier in that way. And I definitely respect the fact that Piaget as a brand has really embraced a style. Their watches are distinctly Piaget, and not that many brands come claim such a strong identity.

I am going to have a chance to see some Piagets at an AD soon, so I will report back with what I see! I have always enjoyed the Altiplanos, although some of them may have a diameter a little too large for the style.
I really do not know that much about the history of the brand either. Or what their existence looked like in the Quartz revolution.
Hi Nuke, I embrace them for being different from a lot of the other top end brands, even if it means simply printing there name differently. I think if you stick to the manual wind 38-40mm Altiplanos you will see some great watches, that are very wearable. Once you get into the automatic Aliplano at 43mm...they become too pancake like as they are too large and too thin...some of VC's Patrimony's suffer from that issue.

They do make a very high grade quartz movement called the chronoreflex movement and it has been used in their own watches, and in some quartz Cartier chronographs and it is actually a quartz perpetual calendar movement. They have had tremendous achievements in making some of the thinnest movements in the world, and at times they have supplied movements to other companies.

Just go and keep an open mind. No watch can be everything to everyone, but I personally find them more interesting than most Calatravas, less expensive, and top quality workmanship. No watch can be everything to everyone...and luckily there are lots of choices.

Saw a couple of references to the "big 3" and decide to google. Am I right that you guys are referring to AP, Patek and VC? I'm wondering why JLC is considered a step below those three...presumably ALS isn't there because they're not Swiss?

Btw I know this is kind of a
stirpot.gif
post so apologies in advance
laugh.gif
The Big Three referred to the top Swiss brands years ago. AL&S is not Swiss so its not in there. JLC is a nice watch, and they have made watches that overlap in terms of price, complications, functions, and at times quality. However, they do make some entry level watches that are not quite what one would get from PP, AP, and VC.

The Big Three as being without peers would be completely inaccurate today. But at one point, most watch people believed PP, AP, and VC represented the best quality Swiss watches. Today there are brands that make watches that are on par with PP, AP, and VC...so just because a watch isn't part of the big three doesn't mean its not a great watch.

Furthermore, JLC has often been content to be in the background. Can they make watches on par with the Big Three, sure. However, I have heard that they often have chosen not to. Commercially, it makes little sense to sell to other brands, particularly to the big three, and then try to compete directly with them. I would think at that point, they would lose some of those clients.

If you go back and read some past posts I think you will find we did cover this area previously, so I don't want to do an in depth repeat for others that already saw that discussion. But there is quite a bit on this topic in this thread.

I make no great value judgement on the "big three" or modern five or four or whatever. It seems to me that Lange is clearly in the same frame, and if anything nudging one or two of the others to the side as far as top-end detailing and originality go. As for Breguet, it's just something I've read. They do have a history, they do make some very high end pieces, and none of their stuff is that cheap - bar a few sportier steel numbers. But you could say all of those things about JLC, or IWC for that matter.

Today the phrase The Big Three really just a way of referencing PP, AP, VC. There are lots of great watches that are on par with them, and some such as AL&S, IMHO exceed them in terms of finish. As for Breguet, its a classic brand with a very storied history. Someone I knew that lived in Europe years ago said that among older generations the most coveted and cherished Swiss brands were VC and Breguet (regardless of PP and AP's standing in the world of watches).

Today I don't quite consider them on par with PP, AP, or VC in terms of finish. But they are still a nice brand.
historically, PP, AP, and VC are "The Big Three". that is fact. people often debate about other brands belonging in the same group, but the phrase means what it means.

JLC imho (as a HUGE franboi) makes pieces that are in the same league, but because they also make many watches at the entry level, they will never be viewed the same way as the big 3. however, its important to note that they do make many movements for the watches under the names of the big 3.
+1 Spot on my man. I just added a little above.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As requested, a wrist shot. This is the older, smaller version of this watch (3919). It was a wedding present from my wife.
A beautiful way to commemorate a special day! Thanks for sharing a wrist shot.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mimo, I much prefer the "standard" Deep Sea Chrono which has the advantages of 1) being made out of good old, old-fashioned metal and 2) a more sensible size at 42 mm vs 44 mm. Consistently high on the kop list!
This, plus not much more expensive than a new Sub.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt. /fanboi

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads