1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Absolutely - and this applies pretty much across the board.

I think that a lot of watchmakers have realised that you can put a lot of decoration and a bit of other flair in a movement with a display back and perhaps use an in-house movement (even though it may be quite pedestrian mechanically speaking) and charge thousands more per watch for what is, on a per watch basis, not much more in cost at all.

Also, I've heard that watch prices have risen a lot over the past decade because of massively increased demand from China and Russia, particularly China. When demand outstrips supply, prices rise.

3. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. academe

academe Well-Known Member

I don't think watch prices will continue to rise as exponentially as in the past few years. My friends in the watch business in Singapore and Hong Kong have remarked at how the slow down in the Chinese economy have really hurt them...

5. Lowndes

Lowndes Well-Known Member

Ha, yes I am quickly figuring that out! A week ago I thought I would just buy one nice watch and be good to go but now I'm already researching watches after this first purchase. I'm really falling in love with JLC and there are quite a few dressier watches from them that I really want. I also want a Panerai for a casual weekend watch. Still figuring out this first Chronograph purchase though. I haven't been able to compare the IWC Master Chrono vs IWC Portuguese side by side yet so once I find a store that will let me do that it should help me decide.

6. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I have heard good things about this watch as a budget time piece.

The watch bug is an interesting one. I have been around these parts for 2 years and people comes in looking at X watch and the next things you know their incoming watch is completely different.

Are their nominees for kop of the year yet? So many this year!

7. aleksandr

aleksandr Well-Known Member

Gents,

The wife has decided, in her infinite wisdom, that she would like to gift me a watch for Christmas. Given however, that she is chronologically clueless, she has requested for some assistance in selection of the gift. She has asked for a short (or -long) list of fine timepieces to choose from - final decision will be hers so I guess she can still say that she had some input in the gift.

I'm currently looking for a dressier watch - have enough sports watches for now, but doesn't need to be too dressy. I've been looking at JLC Master Control, IWC Ingenieur, possibly something from Glashutte (Senator or Pano). No chrono, preferably no date but not a deal breaker. Leather strap preferred but steel is fine too. Anything else similar (and preferably similarly priced, I'd love to ask for a PP or ALS but oh well, maybe in another 10 years) I can add to the list?

8. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I think your wife needs to talk to my wife

2 people like this.
  9. TheFluffer

TheFluffer Well-Known Member

A dressy leather strapped watch- IWC's Portuguese 3 hand would be perfect IMHO.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Its on all Cartier Calibre models including the Diver, and its a really stupid design. I don't know why they think we need to see what dates come before or after today's exact date. Or is it they don't understand that most people smart enough to earn an income that allows one to indulge in nice watches are probably smart enough to figure out the dates that go before or after today's date? Either way, I have no interest in owning watches that have that annoying stylistic feature.

The quickly escalating costs of watches, was not started by rising costs of precious metals, nor was it started by rising R&D costs, nor rising labor costs. IIRC very knowledgeable Moderator who works for VC, and runs one of their forums, wrote and article a few years ago on the rising cost of watches. He indicated, the factor that started the wave of rising prices was Franck Muller. Check out this article...which I thought was rather interesting http://www.thehourlounge.com/en/vac...so-high-possible-response-566713#reply-566726

See above.

That might be in a few markets. However, someone working for a fine watch brand said something to the effect of until there is resistance from consumers, we will continue to raise prices each year. We have raised prices each year and not met any resistance.

Sounds like watch collectors need to make a pact not to purchase any new watches until watch companies hurt enough to start lowerin prices! Sadly, I don't think that will happen.

Those sound like some great options. Two others to consider, if Cartier is of interest to you are the relatively new Rotonde retrograde second time zone day night indicator. The steel model on the right is around $9,650 USD. It uses an in house movement. I wish the date didn't cut out the 12 hour marker but I do like the case on these a lot. There is also a date power reserve model that is around $8,300. Whatever your wife chooses for you, I'm sure you will enjoy and more importantly you have a great wife!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

Cartier ain't the only transgressor.

[​IMG]

12. academe

academe Well-Known Member

aleksandr would you consider the JLC Master Ultra Thin? They have a new 38.5mm model which I really like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bit dressier than the Master Control, but a really beautiful watch. I really like their Ultra Thin case; proportions and shape are elegant and fit nicely to the wrist. I'm looking forward to trying this one on in the metal; I've tried on a number of watches in this series, including the 40mm predecessor and the Ultra Thin Moon, and am a big fan. I think the balance and proportions on the new 38.5mm are better than on the 40mm Grande MUT which preceded it. The sun ray finished dial really is quite lively and changeable in daylight, catching different colours and hues.

13. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

I've heard the same thing. In fact my local AD here in NOVA notes that he gets plenty of vacationing customers from China. He told me that for them / paying full MSRP here in the states is a steal. They literally gobble up all the Pateks and Cartiers. I can only imagine what demand /costs are like over there!

14. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Wow — that's obviously the most baller thing you can do, plus it gives a whole new meaning to conspicuous consumption! And I thought that "eating-everything" stereotype was just limited to the animal kingdom.
    :teach:

Seriously, though, a watchmaker recently told me of one those clients simply throwing away a high-end tourbillon that stopped running rather than having it serviced. :O

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    2 people like this.
  15. Delands

Delands Active Member

I've been lurking around here for some time and I thought I'd chime in on this questions since I encountered something similar a couple of months ago.

My fiancée wanted to give me an engagement present in the form of a watch. Since she doesn't know much about watches she asked my input and I set up a long/short list and then visited some ADs with her to try on the watches and see them in the metal.

My requirements were a classic 3-hander with a silver/white dial on a strap. My initial list included the JLC Master Control, JLC Master Ultra Thin, a few Omega's from the Deville line, an IWC Portofino the Zenith Captain central second.

After trying these on, the final short list was between the JLC Master Control and the Zenith, but with the smoked dial. The AD only had the smoked dial in stock to try on and I just really liked it. It has a nice sunburst effect to it and adds something extra to the watch IMO.

Eventually, my fiancée chose the Zenith and I couldn't be happier. It's easy to dress up, but also to wear casually. It has almost become my only watch for the moment.

Here's a picture:
    [​IMG]

I hope it helps in your decision making process.

Your're very lucky with a wife like you have!

3 people like this.
  16. Belligero

Simple solution:
    Do you prefer to pretend to be an old-timey merchant or an old-timey Luftwaffe navigator? :D

3 people like this.
  17. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

@suaviter I am pre-Rolex, but it is inevitable.

@ridethecliche that watch is the darling of the Poor Man's Watch Thread. I can't get past their huge logo myself (and I don't much like 3 o'clock date windows, especially on a dress watch), but really it's a bargain. And shop around, you'll find them very cheap.

@aleksandr lucky you! The MUT Moon would be the TWAT favourite, I like the smaller MUT small seconds more than the Grand 40mm version, and there's a version of Delands' Port Royal with no date that I think is really smart. Just a left-field suggestion: have you looked at RGM?

@digdigdig there is a cheaper way to join the Luftwaffe, with a similar movement and just as much history. So if you have the option, I'd say Portuguese Chrono, despite the mixed reviews above, and get the other one with the change.

18. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

@Delands - that is a gorgeous watch - I've seen it in person and just love the smoked dial.

19. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

Sounds like urban legend.

20. Belligero

Could be, but I don't entirely doubt it, either. It wouldn't be the most extreme example of splashing around cash ever; I'm certain of that.

I wouldn't even be particularly shocked to see horlogerie-as-hors-d'oeuvre become an actual thing. Maybe some enterprising type could make a production of grinding one of those 175th anniversary releases into Paté Philippe (dibs on the trademark!) at the table, just to make those dining on mere shark-fin soup feel like peasants?

It would also redefine what constitutes a high-end movement. You'd be literally shitting wealth!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.