• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen: I started reading this thread a few weeks ago and have thoroughly enjoyed it. So, the least I can do is post a picture of my collection. Nothing too exotic, but I enjoy them all. Sorry for the lousy iPhone photo.
Some beautiful watches. Thanks for sharing. Now get to work on some close up photos
wink.gif
. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts in the future.

robw

Reaction score

Gentlemen: I started reading this thread a few weeks ago and have thoroughly enjoyed it. So, the least I can do is post a picture of my collection. Nothing too exotic, but I enjoy them all. Sorry for the lousy iPhone photo.

Some nice watches there, 518.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ah... lovely, lovely Pani, Kap!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

7b6b0e5c-807d-45c7-acd8-4e4f7564927f_zps6963856f.jpg

I was going to say "Nothing exotic"? Then I re-read the sentence and read the "too". Very beautiful collection!
nod[1].gif

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you, gentlemen, for the kind words.

I have a small wrist (about 6"), so all but the Hamilton are quite small, by today's standards. While that's a negative when looking at most new watches, it's a boon if you're in the vintage market. My most recent purchase was the Audemars, which I bought last year. I believe it's called Ref. 2003, and was reportedly the thinnest watch made at the time.

Here are few shots from the eBay listing, as the seller was a better photographer than I am!

I wasn't really in the market for it, but as you all know, when you see something of beauty that strikes your fancy, why should that stop you?

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what are good online places to sell diamonds? I know it's a stretch, but figured I may just try the collective wisdom here. Asking for a buddy who's looking to sell an engagement ring...:hide:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what are good online places to sell diamonds? I know it's a stretch, but figured I may just try the collective wisdom here. Asking for a buddy who's looking to sell an engagement ring...
peepwall[1].gif

Better off insuring then "losing"...

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

+1. Welcome to the suck.

You need some sports watches (kidding).

Please stick around.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, in the spirit of the thread, I tend to be fairly one-minded in my hypotheticals :slayer:

lol.. nice outline. Special Property Exception eh?

Last edited:

cdgreg

Reaction score
New to the forums, and only about 2,000 posts deep into this thread. Nevertheless, I find the longines mystery watch to be one of the most unique and classy watches I have come across. I hopped on ebay to check out prices and came across this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Lon...242398057?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item1c3a9c2d69

I'm looking to put it in my regular rotation and wear it once a week or so. Anything I should really worry about here? What is a fair price for this watch? Thanks!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lol.. nice outline. Special Property Exception eh?

Something like that--Louisiana is purely civil law, and has not adopted the UCC... so that is something that is fairly new to me. Stupid Louisiana.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have to bow to superior knowledge re the Piagets. They are competing in a serious price bracket with some big hitters which would make me rule em out. Having read Nuke and Dino I am swayed though. Anyway at that price point it is about window shopping right now for me.

Beautiful shot! And beautiful Panerai.

And I kind of agree, but they have a few designs that really appeal to me. In that price range, I would struggle not to pick something up from the big four first.

Kaplan, you too, I love that one. The gold hands are something else.

I get what you are saying. The logo, font, and Piaget is definitely more stylized, and it is pretty darn cool. They kind of remind me of Cartier in that way. And I definitely respect the fact that Piaget as a brand has really embraced a style. Their watches are distinctly Piaget, and not that many brands come claim such a strong identity.

I am going to have a chance to see some Piagets at an AD soon, so I will report back with what I see! I have always enjoyed the Altiplanos, although some of them may have a diameter a little too large for the style.

Cleav - Lovin' that PAM as usual. TChoy - wowza

re: PiageT - clearly they are in a higher class of timepieces, and although I can appreciate their quality and beauty, they've never quite interested me. I too am not a fan of their choice of logo font, but maybe I'm missing the relevance or history behind their choice in lettering. True, it's a bit different, and I'm sure fans will love it, but it's not my cup of tea. I've handled some in person, and really can't find anything wrong with the watch per se, just no chemistry for me.

I really do not know that much about the history of the brand either. Or what their existence looked like in the Quartz revolution.

But at the end of the day, if you don't feel the chemistry, you just don't feel the chemistry. I feel that way about many of GP's designs (except I love that cushion case chrono) and even the new Jules Audmemars designs.

+1. Welcome to the suck.

You need some sports watches (kidding).

Please stick around.

Please do! I greatly enjoyed your first few posts.

The one with the side profile of that AP is breathtaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads