• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
treated my-self to a speedy pro for the birthday, arrived today and i am very happy with it
nod[1].gif

sorry in advance about the crappy iphone pics

You simply can't wrong there.

Congrats.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats! It looks great! It's twin says howdy:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dat back tho... :drool:

durdanta2

Reaction score
thanks guys!

Next up is the MUT Moon for graduation. Although thats not for two years so well see what happens in the mean time :cool:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

thanks guys! Next up is the MUT Moon for graduation. Although thats not for two years so well see what happens in the mean time :cool:
You have exquisite taste.
#StitchyShot
I think we'll call you Nuke Jr.
:rotflmao: And heck, I was formerly known as Cylon-Jr who acquired the same pairing before I. His acquisition was much more meaningful though:
I'm afraid my answer is slightly more narcissistic, and I'm not so sure I could boil it down to a single word as elegantly as Dino has done--though maybe narcissism is in fact the word I am looking for :rotflmao: . I find my thought patterns revolve around the idea of purchasing a watch to symbolize various elements of my own identity. By this I mean something more than a simple dress-watch/sport watch dichotomy to reflect me "at-work" & "at-play" I've shared before the fact that the JLC MUT Moon was a wedding gift from my wife. So on a basic level, the symbolic meaning independent of whatever watch I chose is always associated with me being a husband. But deeper than that is the fact that we were married in the mosque, and so the moonphase complication has added religious symbolism. The moonphase complication isn't so useless after all if you need to track the Islamic lunar calendar too. HA! Secondly, the Speedy Pro was purchased to commemorate the birth of my first child. I wanted something visually different than the MUT Moon (i.e. sport watch), yes, but also something that encapsulated certain notions (stereotypes?) of fatherhood--adventure, imagination, exploration. Throw in another aspect of my identity (American) and I had no choice but to go with the watch that represents the quintessential American achievement of the 20th century (sorry Hamilton). Finally, as an American Muslim of Indian heritage I will mostly likely have to purchase a Reverso at some point in the future to keep this whole story consistent. While Polo is strongly associated with Britain and Argentina in the modern era, the Brits learned the sport during their colonial foray in India, and as everybody already knows, this is where the story of the Reverso begins. There is an alternative in the Rolex Explorer since it is so strongly associated with the himalayas, but since Mt. Everest is in Nepal rather than India, the connection is that much weaker. So there you have it. Hope I did not bore y'all too much.
And for posterity, was followed-up by the ever-so-eloquent DerekS, who is always missed in the thread:
^^wow. i just buy whatever watch gets ******* hard that day. ;) great stuff.....its nice being able to tie in a meaning to each watch.
A shame Cylon does not post anymore, I always enjoyed his contributions. And thanks for the kind words Durdanta, and again, wear it in the best of health!

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too miss Cylon and Derek. :(

wonsmithr8

Reaction score
My simple watch. Debating getting a Stowa Flieger no date no logo next (which is what I originally wanted but wasn't willing to spend that much):

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
^^ Cool. I have my eye on a Stowa Baumuster B...and a Marine Original. It's my birthday next month. Just saying.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Derek pointed me in the right direction for watch shops in Nashville and then he disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads