• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stijn

Reaction score
56,000€

That's insane. I had my 5711 for a couple of years but sold at €47k. Seems like you also bought it before the hype. I liked it a lot back then, and still do, but I don't like it's current status. It used to be an under the radar watch, which I loved. The hype, I hate it. Made me want to sell the watch.

I do miss it from time to time as I still love the design and how it wears.

At 56K there are much nicer watches to be had. I don't get people pay that amount.

View attachment 1307267

Speaking of cashing in on “wanted” watches, I’ve been contemplating selling this. Don’t really know if it’s worth it, seeing as how I’ll probably never be able to get one of these at retail ever again.

I just paid a 50% deposit last month for one at the AP Boutique, should be an 8-10month wait they told me. I'd say keep it. In my opinion one of the most important designs of the 20th century. Without the Royal Oak, there wouldn't have been many others (think about Nautilus and the likes). The only thing that bothers me about the 15202 is the date setting and the fact that it doesn't have a screw down crown. But at the current going prices I'd understand why you sell.

I have a 14790 Yves Klein dial, seeing the prices of those, I'm also contemplating on selling.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's insane. I had my 5711 for a couple of years but sold at €47k. Seems like you also bought it before the hype. I liked it a lot back then, and still do, but I don't like it's current status. It used to be an under the radar watch, which I loved. The hype, I hate it. Made me want to sell the watch.

I do miss it from time to time as I still love the design and how it wears.

At 56K there are much nicer watches to be had. I don't get people pay that amount.

I just paid a 50% deposit last month for one at the AP Boutique, should be an 8-10month wait they told me. I'd say keep it. In my opinion one of the most important designs of the 20th century. Without the Royal Oak, there wouldn't have been many others (think about Nautilus and the likes). The only thing that bothers me about the 15202 is the date setting and the fact that it doesn't have a screw down crown. But at the current going prices I'd understand why you sell.

I have a 14790 Yves Klein dial, seeing the prices of those, I'm also contemplating on selling.

Another thing people don’t realize about the 15202: THE BEZEL WILL SCRATCH IF YOU LOOK AT IT TOO LONG. If you scratch the bezel (it’s really more a function of WHEN, not if), the resale value drops $5-10k. I literally never wear mine because I’m too afraid of a shirt cuff scratching it.

stijn

Reaction score
Another thing people don’t realize about the 15202: THE BEZEL WILL SCRATCH IF YOU LOOK AT IT TOO LONG. If you scratch the bezel (it’s really more a function of WHEN, not if), the resale value drops $5-10k. I literally never wear mine because I’m too afraid of a shirt cuff scratching it.
Yes, true. I sold an ROC because of that. Now I don't mind the scratches anymore. ?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had my 15400 for nearly 3 years and it's definitely scratched to ****.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That will happen to any watch if you aren't careful about your surroundings. I've had a 15202 for 7 years and its basically been a daily wearer and my bezel still looks very good (no major scratches). I've seen Nautiluses and Rolex watches with badly scraped and damage bezels. Worst case scenario, if the bezel got badly scratched and you don't want them to polish it, simply purchase a new bezel when it goes in for service. I did that on a steel Daytona years ago.

If you can't wear it because you are too afraid of your shirt cuff leaving hairline surface scratches, then why own it. Seems to take all of the enjoyment out of owning one.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That will happen to any watch if you aren't careful about your surroundings. I've had a 15202 for 7 years and its basically been a daily wearer and my bezel still looks very good (no major scratches). I've seen Nautiluses and Rolex watches with badly scraped and damage bezels. Worst case scenario, if the bezel got badly scratched and you don't want them to polish it, simply purchase a new bezel when it goes in for service. I did that on a steel Daytona years ago.

If you can't wear it because you are too afraid of your shirt cuff leaving hairline surface scratches, then why own it. Seems to take all of the enjoyment out of owning one.

Agreed. I’ll just add that the brushed finish of the bezel and case on the RO makes the scratches pop much more.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
86EF6BAC-567E-4533-89AA-7C1EE2C162BF.jpeg

I stopped babying mine once I got that giant scratch across the bezel between 12 and 1. There was no point anymore and now I just wear mine as a daily. If I ever get my grail, yellow gold 15202, I’ll be a lot more careful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics