• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tie Dimple Debate

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Forget about learning, just use"The Dimpler".

http://www.dimpler.com/

Assorted tie dimpler set.
smile.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Since I mentioned this tie earlier, let me note that I have no evidence that it was judged "closest" to the Gary Cooper tie by anyone. My understanding is that the search for a club tie was inspired by the Gary Cooper tie. Whoopee, perhaps you have more specific information about this. Two of my acquaintances have this tie and have found it to be truly spectacular--as would be expected, I guess, in a tie designed for a special purpose and made by Charvet. However, it's not to everyone's taste, just as seeing a dimple in a tie isn't to everyone's taste. I really think that that is the bottom line here. A number of forumers have indicated that they prefer the look of a dimple. Some have said they don't. Other authorities have weighed in in other arenas. Wear a dimple if you like it. Don't if you don't like it. There's no "rule" here, just personal preference.

I'm not really sure where this comes from. I really like the tie - enough to have a custom version on order. If anything I thought my comment was favourable to Mr Alden (who has been unfairly attacked before, not necessarily here) and the London Lounge (of which I am happily a member) in combating the impression that he and everyone there are fuddy duddys who worship aesthetics stuck in the 30s.

As for the Gary Cooper remark, I suggest you, and anyone else interest, read alden's post on the LL. In fact, I'll quote the most relevant (to this post) portion: "Three beautiful woven silk patterns had been selected. Each of them had qualities but one stood out and was judged to be the closest to the model in the Cooper picture."

NavyStyles

Reaction score

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NavyStyles
Where is the world heading when a man can't dimple his own tie?
HEY! Welcome back, man! Where you been?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
I'm not really sure where this comes from. I really like the tie - enough to have a custom version on order. If anything I thought my comment was favourable to Mr Alden (who has been unfairly attacked before, not necessarily here) and the London Lounge (of which I am happily a member) in combating the impression that he and everyone there are fuddy duddys who worship aesthetics stuck in the 30s.

As for the Gary Cooper remark, I suggest you, and anyone else interest, read alden's post on the LL. In fact, I'll quote the most relevant (to this post) portion: "Three beautiful woven silk patterns had been selected. Each of them had qualities but one stood out and was judged to be the closest to the model in the Cooper picture."

Whoopee, I appreciate your comments and agree with them. My comment about not knowing that the LL Forum Tie was intended to be that close a match with the Gary Cooper tie was meant simply to indicate that I was ignorant of the tie's actual history, not to cast doubt on your assertion. Thanks for setting the record straight on this. I'll go back and read the history of its design on the LL.

Edit: From what I've heard from the guys I know who've acquired the tie, you'll be very happy with it. Wear it in good health.
smile.gif

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
And for the record, I'm with FNB in this argument.

So, answer "A," then?

j, thanks for the welcome back, man. The increasing membership on here hasn't driven you crazy with incessant demands? I'm impressed, haha. It's been quite a long time, eh? I kinda summarized what's been going on in my life over in General Chat, so I'll paste a link to that thread (don't wanna hijack this one too much more). In any case, expect to see me much more often than you have over the past ...um, 2? ... years or so.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=17397

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NavyStyles
Where is the world heading when a man can't dimple his own tie?
On one hand, I agree. On the other, with all the complaints about the general public's dress, I have to support something that will get more men looking good.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What do you think about the bifurcated dimple?
252653752_c718ac813b.jpg

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
I personally think dimples look better.

I mostly tie a half windsor, and sometimes I will "turn up" the tie and one of the ends just before tightening!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads