• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Sneaker GMTO

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol. I swear those photos were not there when I posted XX

Those above are actually the Sienna.
The ones below are the "Tan" (the actual color name from Archibald).

I received my shoes yesterday and could not be happier. They are really exceptional.

If the objective was to deliver high-end shoes... that objective has been achieved IMO. The quality of the leather is fantastic. The brown... I don't remember what sort of brown it is, but it's brown -- is striking and absolutely reeks of quality, The white... again, I don't recall what kind of leather it is, I think it's Kangaroo but not sure -- is phenomenal. Much, much, much nicer than the material you'll find on a typical leather tennis shoe. The leather lining on both shoes is REALLY NICE, I wore them with no-show socks yesterday but I'm sure they can be worn barefoot, too, I will probably try that this weekend. I got gum soles because I like them, I don't know whether they were the best aesthetic choice or not, but I just like them. They seem to look great.

In terms of fit, they are exceptionally comfortable. I wear a EEE US and have a very, very, very high instep. I followed Orlando's sizing suggestion -- he PM'd me and advised me to go up one size after I placed my order, and I followed his suggestion -- and these are perfect. The toe box has plenty of room. The instep is a bit of a challenge but it's always a challenge. There's enough room, just barely enough but enough. Overall, comfort is fantastic. I wore mine for about five hours yesterday, running errands, and they are much more supportive than, say, Chuck Taylors or Vans. I usually wear boat shoes with shorts during the summer and the Archibald sneakers obviously are far more comfortable than any boat shoe. They weren't kidding about the insoles, either, they are fantastic.

I do have the issue that everyone else has been talking about where the tongue joins the facing of the right shoe on my white pair. I'll probably fiddle with the lacing to see if I can get rid of it. If not, I'll probably just live with it and see what happens. it's not too bad. This does need to be fixed, it really does, but overall these shoes are a HOME RUN IMO.

I was never sold on the idea of "dress sneakers" before, I think it's a contradiction in terms. I still think so. However... these are great shoes and I'm going to wear them a lot. I'll never wear them with a suit, but for casual wear -- you bet.

Once they fix the tongue and facing issue, I'll buy a mustard yellow suede pair. Those are AWESOME! Everyone who purchased that combination has great taste!

View attachment 1425695

View attachment 1425696

Staxxx1

Reaction score
To my surprise, DHL delivered one day early. I’m quite pleased with my choices. The size 42 fit is great for my foot, that is pretty much UK8.5 in everything Euro, and 9E/EE in everything USA. Anticato Tan, and Grey Roo, I like very much. They do have the tongue gate issue, I’ll put them through their paces and see how they hold up.

View attachment 1427701
View attachment 1427709
View attachment 1427710
My shoes also look exactly like this when it comes to the tongue and upper. I am not sure how much of a problem it will turn out to be in the future, but it bothers me less at the moment given the other positives that I appreciate.

ThePetros

Reaction score
Every pair has been a victim of tongue gate. This was a design flaw in the product as a result of one of the samples (which was untested) having the issue and the production formed from that sample. We will be responding further tomorrow as there seems to be confusion from our previous perhaps wordy message. It is not a case of some with, some without. The issue is more prevalent for some feet and fit than others, that is all.

This has been a nightmare for us made worse by the fact that every sample tested prior was perfect and we will be posting in bullet form exactly what we are intending to do.
Uh, I hate to throw salt on this wound but this is much bigger than originally suggested in the larger post.

Also the story is shifting. My first communication with you guys - you were insistent that it would resolve itself. Then you said it was due to the handmade nature of the product. Then it was a flaw effecting all the shoes. I think you can understand this is getting frustrating.

Your post implies that you knowingly sent a shoe that you did not test as the template for production. If this is true, this was not a design flaw but a massive oversight in QC on a most basic and fundamental level that rippled into the entire run. Aside from having just implicated yourself in that, that does not leave me more at ease but ever more nervous about what is to come.

Waiting for tomorrow’s post with bated breath.

dhoff10

Reaction score
I've been informed by those close to me that my affinity for black soled sneakers may not be in good taste so bear with me on this, but to my eye these shoes are straight badass
IMG_20200720_145934.jpg

IMG_20200720_151030.jpg

Sole aside, the suede looks damn good in the pic but it didn't capture anything close to richness of the color to the naked eye. You've heard others raving about the suede - it's legit this stuff is beautiful. Even those who criticized my previous black soled purchases conceded these are beautiful, elegant sneakers. Imagining rocking these with a black leather jacket...

I also got black on black and kangaroo. I haven't seen a pic of the former so here you go
IMG_20200720_150313.jpg

I have an issue with sizing and 45s are way too tight on both the black and kanga shoes. Luckily the mto suede pair was roomier though still a little tight. Not sure how the same size can fit so differently but it's been an issue with me and AoL sneakers. According to their size chart I'm a 44 and 46 is likely the right one. The size chart works perfectly for me with their dress shoes.

When I size up I'll see if I can switch the kangaroo to a suede. This is my first time handling kangaroo and I don't think it's for me. I'll probably try to switch the black leather to a suede as well. It's really the way to go here. I can't put my finger on it but even the craftsmanship seems to stand out more with the suede and every detail of these shoes looks remarkable.

Tongue gate not a factor on any of the pairs I received

Staxxx1

Reaction score
Also the story is shifting. My first communication with you guys - you were insistent that it would resolve itself. Then you said it was due to the handmade nature of the product. Then it was a flaw effecting all the shoes.
To be fair to Rohan, I do think he rather clearly explained how this issue came about. That it is a QC issue at some point of the cycle is hard to deny.
But the two points you bring up can be mutually exclusive. I don't think he's ducking at all with shifting stories or blame. He also probably needs time to find a viable solution to a difficult problem which might not have a solution that may meet the satisfaction of everyone. affected.
However I do feel your frustration.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been informed by those close to me that my affinity for black soled sneakers may not be in good taste so bear with me on this, but to my eye these shoes are straight badass
View attachment 1427742
View attachment 1427748
Sole aside, the suede looks damn good in the pic but it didn't capture anything close to richness of the color to the naked eye. You've heard others raving about the suede - it's legit this stuff is beautiful. Even those who criticized my previous black soled purchases conceded these are beautiful, elegant sneakers. Imagining rocking these with a black leather jacket...

I also got black on black and kangaroo. I haven't seen a pic of the former so here you go
View attachment 1427750

I have an issue with sizing and 45s are way too tight on both the black and kanga shoes. Luckily the mto suede pair was roomier though still a little tight. Not sure how the same size can fit so differently but it's been an issue with me and AoL sneakers. According to their size chart I'm a 44 and 46 is likely the right one. The size chart works perfectly for me with their dress shoes.

When I size up I'll see if I can switch the kangaroo to a suede. This is my first time handling kangaroo and I don't think it's for me. I'll probably try to switch the black leather to a suede as well. It's really the way to go here. I can't put my finger on it but even the craftsmanship seems to stand out more with the suede and every detail of these shoes looks remarkable.

Why don't you like the Kangaroo compared to the calf?

dhoff10

Reaction score
Why don't you like the Kangaroo compared to the calf?
Nothing more complicated than the look and feel isn't my preference. I have no prior experience with kangaroo leather and I'm sure AoL sourced the best there is. This was just an experiment for me. If I had to give one detail I think I was imagining it to be even thinner and more flexible

epc2

Reaction score
The creasing on my white kangaroo's looks pretty bad compared to the black ones , I was told that it's normal from that leather but the combination of all the creases and the tongue problem makes them a pair that might end up collecting dust in the closet , I know that I was taking a risk when I decided to order a pair but was expecting a better QC, I have some experience with these type of sneakers ( factory direct) not brand names since I own a few Epaulet ones so I was expecting at least same QC.

I was told on an email that it's because of the heel stiffener etc, but IMHO and with all the shoes I've owned , this is a QC issue and the leather feels loose on that part , if you have a softer leather you have to tight it a bit more while on the last, but I won't go into those manufacturing details , I wish The Archibald team success with this project and hope all these issues can be resolved on the 2nd batch.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The creasing on my white kangaroo's looks pretty bad compared to the black ones , I was told that it's normal from that leather but the combination of all the creases and the tongue problem makes them a pair that might end up collecting dust in the closet , I know that I was taking a risk when I decided to order a pair but was expecting a better QC, I have some experience with these type of sneakers ( factory direct) not brand names since I own a few Epaulet ones so I was expecting at least same QC.

I was told on an email that it's because of the heel stiffener etc, but IMHO and with all the shoes I've owned , this is a QC issue and the leather feels loose on that part , if you have a softer leather you have to tight it a bit more while on the last, but I won't go into those manufacturing details , I wish The Archibald team success with this project and hope all these issues can be resolved on the 2nd batch.
Personally, with the creasing that I’ve seen in the pics with yours, I wouldn’t accept that shoe for the price. Just looks too bad unless it changes with the foot in significantly. I don’t think it should’ve been even shipped. I would expect some creasing maybe for the price, but I just wouldn’t use them if they showed up like that to me. Looks like a factory seconds

NonChalant321

Reaction score
View attachment 1427742
View attachment 1427748

View attachment 1427750

On a lighter note, that blue suede and black sole looks really nice. I'd be curious to see an even darker blue like dark navy.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1427742
View attachment 1427748

View attachment 1427750

Both pairs look really nice. I think I like the all black more than the white ones posted ITT.

takashi78

Reaction score
Most all the suede variations here look badass!
Especially the blue on black.

I had a pair of RM Williams Roo and can say it does wrinkle much more than calf, and finer wrinkles at that. On the heel stiffener part, i see the similarities as well.

What i would say is the grey roo somehow looks to have alot of "light blue" tone to it.
Just the lighting of the pics?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads