• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice avvy, Canta.

Mid-gray donegal? As for the herringbone, I really like that cream/brown that Gus got made up. That would be a go-to for me.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, brah.

Here's a photo from the OP of Parker in a 3pc dark brown herringbone.

3e99e441_tweedchest.jpeg

Might prove inspirational.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Yes I think a donegal tweed suit in a dark shade of brown could be it. What you said about it being tweedy enough to be interesting but not too interesting to be wearable is spot on.

LilacCords

Reaction score
null_zps477648e0.jpg

This beauty is now OOS which is a shame but I did manage to get hold of enough to make a Jacket.... Going to go fully unlined, with navy taping on the seams. Thoughts?

Elwoodc

Reaction score
That is a wonderful hue and I imagine it will look quite good contrasted by blue taping. Do you plan on including the back vent and belting?

LilacCords

Reaction score
Im going to keep it simple patch pockets side vents and notch lapel I think.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I certainly didn't go out intended to buy an OTR suit today, but I have just bought a beautiful grey barleycorn tweed 2 / 3-piece made by Avon House for the Rugged Museum in Tokyo. The fabric is by Abraham Moon, the Yorkshire manufacturer, but the suit is entirely made in Japan. The brand is basically a defunct label that was revived by Rugged Museum (Free & Easy magazine's in-house shop) in order to market their new line of British-influenced menswear. A lot of the Rugged Museum's stuff is slightly eccentric and overdone versions of American (and some British) trad reinterpreted for the Japanese market, but the Avon House stuff is mostly pretty damn good - some nice Cabourn-ish tweed jackets, excellent Shetland sweaters, chunky Tricker's collaboration brogues etc. - but the tweed suits are excellent (page 34 of the October 2013 issue of Free & Easy for those who have access to it).

I tried on the 46 / 36 jacket with my usual trepidation when trying things on in Japan: the length is usually just right - I'm actually in the average height range for Japan - but the shoulders are just too narrow, or everything's too narrow, and the next size up is all wrong. But it was perfect - like it had been made for me: the shoulders were not just okay but dead on, the buttoning point and waist suppression were exactly how I like them (the jacket is a 3-button that seems to work just as well worn as a hard-3 or as a 3 roll-2), the rounded mid-width peak-lapel was just unusual enough to make it clearer that this is something rather more classy than your JCrew Ludlow-type of English tweed suit (which uses the same fabric, I believe), and the double-vented back was almost as smooth as my bespoke tweed suit and exactly the right length. I also bought the optional vest because it was so lovely, didn't seem to affect the fit of the jacket at all, and gives me another option, and again a higher buttoning point and also lapelled which is not that common these days.

The only things that needed doing were to take 1/2 inch off the jacket sleeves and for the trousers to be finished and the waist let out an inch, which they are all doing for me as I type. There will be pictures next week when I pick it up although I probably won't get to wear this for a while as it is still hot, hot, hot here in Tokyo.

So, all in all, I'm happy today.
smile.gif

Last edited:

roquesoon

Reaction score
Cross post from unfunded liability thread

Beautiful jacket.

As an aside, what is accepted practice regarding buttoning up all the way (throat latch included)? Seems to me that the bottom button can be done as well, since the purpose is to keep you warm. Maybe a purely hypothetical question, since no one really uses their throat latch, do they?
peepwall[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads