• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know if I've ever seen a vest without a back made of lining before.

Really? It's uncommon, but certainly not unknown on heavy country suits and indeed on tweed suits more generally (as well as other older-style vests that were designed to be worn without jackets some or all of the time, as indeed many working men's vests were - although clearly, this is not one of those!).

Last edited:

ravn

Reaction score
Regarding the back piece not made of the same cloth as the linning, I think this is an option most online services have. I ordered a waistcoat at Tweed Adicct the other day and the Harding & Porter Thornproof (400 gr) cloth was actually an option I almost went for also as a back piece. Instead I ended up with a slightly warmer/heavier fabric (cotton) then the ordinary viscose satins.

I will post some photos togheter with the matching trousers when I get them in 2-4 weeks
smile.gif

OlSarge

Reaction score
When I ordered my last suit at MyTailor.com they asked if I wanted the vest with a self back or with the lining. At the time I opted for the lining back but should I order another, especially in a tweed, I will consider a self back very seriously, especially after looking at David's.

Tweedy

Reaction score

A nice bit of vintage Harris Tweed... bow ties just added to my online shop :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads