• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Question – why is it that Alden recommends only wax polish on shell cordovan, yet at the same time Allen Edmonds recommends their own cordovan shoe cream for shell?

Both source shell cordovan from the same company, Horween.

Who's right?

They both are it really comes down to preference . there are at least a half dozen products recommended and used by members on this thread to varying results one thing you want to keep in mind with shell is to apply all in moderation . I personally use saphir renovateur only unless i have a color issue

Al in Philly

Reaction score
Question – why is it that Alden recommends only wax polish on shell cordovan, yet at the same time Allen Edmonds recommends their own cordovan shoe cream for shell?

Both source shell cordovan from the same company, Horween.

Who's right?

They both are it really comes down to preference . there are at least a half dozen products recommended and used by members on this thread to varying results one thing you want to keep in mind with shell is to apply all in moderation . I personally use saphir renovateur only unless i have a color issue

I personally use Reno about every four months or so and then use Saphir Pate De lux wax in Bordaeux (for color 8). I use the wax about every four months, alternating with the Reno (i.e. I'll use Reno - four months later use wax - four months later use Reno...). The main reason I use the wax is because I don't want there to be a TON of color change when the shell does start to patina. I want a little bit, but not a ton. This is also why I don't use creme; I want there to be some patina. Just not a drastic patina.

I use the mac method whenever I can, which turns out to be every two to three weeks. That way I know I'm not over waxing.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't apply reno to the vamp of my shoes anymore. All of my older shoes that got Lexol treatments for years are still around. After I fed my newer shoes all Saphir and reno diets they are all cracking and in bad shape. I think reno should only be used on non-flex areas has a light cleaner and polish. Essentially it is good for traveling and such. It isn't a good conditioner, I actually think it is a better solvent and probably contributed heavily to my cracked shoes. Now, I Lexol the vamp, reno everywhere else and wax polish the toe and heel. Essentially bad experiences with long term reno use has got me off the cool-aid.

Snaporaz

Reaction score
I don't apply reno to the vamp of my shoes anymore. All of my older shoes that got Lexol treatments for years are still around. After I fed my newer shoes all Saphir and reno diets they are all cracking and in bad shape. I think reno should only be used on non-flex areas has a light cleaner and polish. Essentially it is good for traveling and such. It isn't a good conditioner, I actually think it is a better solvent and probably contributed heavily to my cracked shoes. Now, I Lexol the vamp, reno everywhere else and wax polish the toe and heel. Essentially bad experiences with long term reno use has got me off the cool-aid.

That's bordering on heresy, pB...

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting, and good to know. What is your definition of "long term", and how old are the shoes that you are experiencing the cracking on? How old are the shoes that only received Lexol?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My 8 year old shoes that got mostly Lexol treatments are still going strong. Others that in the past 2-3 years got the reno treatment that we all know and "love" are cracking.

Reno on everything but the vamp before you polish. Lexol and cream polish on the vamp.

Snaporaz

Reaction score
You may change your tune when your shoes start cracking too...

Don't get me wrong- I'm curious to hear more, too. Expensive shoes, plus diligent (and expensive) shoe care shouldn't lead to cracked leather.

I'm just a little sceptical as Saphir, and Renovateur in particular, seem to have such great reputations...

Snaporaz

Reaction score
My 8 year old shoes that got mostly Lexol treatments are still going strong. Others that in the past 2-3 years got the reno treatment that we all know and "love" are cracking.

Reno on everything but the vamp before you polish. Lexol and cream polish on the vamp.

Why not cut the Reno out entirely? Just use the Lexol?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, 2-3 years is quite a short period of time. Are you sure that there aren't any other variables to consider? I don't use Saphir products, so don't take my questioning as support for them.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Don't get me wrong- I'm curious to hear more, too. Expensive shoes, plus diligent (and expensive) shoe care shouldn't lead to cracked leather.

I'm just a little sceptical as Saphir, and Renovateur in particular, seem to have such great reputations...

You haven't been around long. Trust me. Mind you my cheapest pair of shoes is $450. Not exactly garbage.

The fact is, most Saphir products have questionable ingredients. Questionable by people who make shoes and work with leather. What do most of these people use? Lexol, and Bickmore. There is a reason for that, many of us, myself included ignored this, and I have been reaping the consequences.

Don't let the marketing hype fool you. Plus, there are a lot more people new to the shoe care game who have very little observations at this game. I have collected many and at this point I am dropping the kool-aid because of said experience. Than again do what you want.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You haven't been around long. Trust me. Mind you my cheapest pair of shoes is $450. Not exactly garbage.

The fact is, most Saphir products have questionable ingredients. Questionable by people who make shoes and work with leather. What do most of these people use? Lexol, and Bickmore. There is a reason for that, many of us, myself included ignored this, and I have been reaping the consequences.

Don't let the marketing hype fool you. Plus, there are a lot more people new to the shoe care game who have very little observations at this game. I have collected many and at this point I am dropping the kool-aid because of said experience. Than again do what you want.

This is very true, and I know exactly to whom you refer.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Why not cut the Reno out entirely? Just use the Lexol?

Because reno gets some polish off, but not a lot. Lexol messes the finish and I am not really concerned at all with conditioning non flex points on a shoe, I want to maintain those parts shiny. They just need to be "renovated" and primed for another small layer of wax.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Are you sure that there aren't any other variables to consider? 

I wish there were, honestly. My newest renoed shoes were also part of a larger rotation. So it even meant I was wearing them less than the older ones at the time. Wearing less, getting a different treatment, began cracking.

Honestly I think their polishes are probably fine to use sparingly and away from flex points. I will continue to use them for everything but the vamp, except for a bit of cream polish in the vamp.

Also member Isshinryu who posts vintage shoes in great condition doesn't use Saphir and his shoes are decades old. Just sayin.

kayjaybee

Reaction score

Interesting...do you just buy a 3-liter bottle of Lexol for the next few years? What creme and wax products do you prefer to use?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SasuAngy