• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chien

Reaction score
Hmm so the rough out part is no big deal? it isnt a sign of the leather requiring some serious conditioning from drying out or something?
I got these for about a month and its my first pair of cordovan, so still figuring out the do's and dont's or what is normal and what is not.

Yep I don't really baby them that much, i treat them as normal shoes to the point i wear them to club, I'm not so sure if its such a good idea still with people stepping on them from time to time... Or I dont have to worry about it as its "indestructable"?

But at the end of the day I will always do a wipe with a damp cloth and then try to brush out the scruffs if its possible

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
its normal and also common in high-volume last like Barrie and Plaza. Hows the fit on your boot? snug?

Last edited:

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Cigar PTB
IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

LS CXL NST
IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

cielo

Reaction score
I hate to ask a size question, but...

I received my first pair of Alden cordos in 9D Barrie (J. Crew WT boots). My Chromexcel Indys are 9D all other makes are 9.5D. The new Barries are a little tight from the back of the toebox to the throat. The length and vamp are fine and I have minimal heel slip, which I would expect to be resolved after break-in.

I don't think I'm an E but from what I've read, these won't stretch very much so maybe that's more appropriate. Is there any hope of them stretching after a month or is this last not for me? I'm on the order for the MTO Whiskey Indy so I'm hoping the 9D Barrie works. FYI, my Indys did not need to stretch when new. Worst case scenario is that I resell them but I would of course like to determine if the best size.

Thanks in advance!

Simplicio

Reaction score
These posts really have me thinking about another pair of PTBs, this time in cigar. Like the previous poster I would want the commando sole. In the past I have sent shoes back to Alden to switch the soles, but since they no longer do this I suppose I will have to go with B. Nelson. I gather they do a great job, but it would be great if the commando sole were more widely available.

Chien

Reaction score

its normal and also common in high-volume last like Barrie and Plaza. Hows the fit on your boot? snug?

I'm satisfied with the fit, I dont feel any discomfort from tightness, the fit in the toebox is good, its fits snugly, i dont get any heel slips either.

But then again, I'm inexperienced with how shoes should be fitted.So i do not know what are factors do i have to consider to actually call it a good fit.
What are the other factors anyway if any?

closerlook

Reaction score

Against all odds, UPS actually delivered my new shell boots in three days. They look a little goofy fresh out of the box, but I bet they'll look better after some breaking in. I stepped into them, and they fit exactly like my LWBs, but minutely snug across the ball of the foot. I'm sure they'll loosen up for a perfect fit.
Bonus: These were advertised as having a single leather sole (and are pictured as such on the J Crew website), which was not my preference. I was happy to see mine show up with a double leather sole!
52ad88f0.jpg

that's a single leather sole. the split you are seeing is between the sole and the welt.

TWorksheets

Reaction score

It's an increased liability shipping overseas and the customs are a ***** to deal with. Try shipping internationally a few times and youll know what Im talking about

I thought Shoemart and J. Crew do ship internationally, although the lists of countries are still limited. (especially J. Crew)

To be more specific, I live in Canada. What irks me is that sites such as J. Crew already offer flat shipping rates on everything else they offer, but then turn around and won't even ship their Alden footwear into Canada. I assume that it goes deeper than just 'it's a hassle'. It must be a trade/legal restriction or something.

Also maybe it's because I've never known any other way, but I think people grossly overstate the difficulty of shipping US -> Canada. If we're willing to pay for things such as expedited/express services (which greatly alleviate shipping delays/problems), then why shouldn't Canadian customers have access to those products?

Anyways, more to the point:

Are there any online sites with a wider selection of Aldens that will ship to Canada? I know of Nomad, Roden Gray, etc. but they only stock 2-3 make-ups at a time.

mr chorizo

Reaction score

mcbrown

Reaction score

To be more specific, I live in Canada. What irks me is that sites such as J. Crew already offer flat shipping rates on everything else they offer, but then turn around and won't even ship their Alden footwear into Canada. I assume that it goes deeper than just 'it's a hassle'. It must be a trade/legal restriction or something.

Either that, or it is just Alden's attempt to control differentiated pricing across markets by limiting the conditions under which their resellers can ship internationally. Put it this way: how long do you think Alden could charge $1,000+ in Japan for shoes that sell for $650 here, if buying from Tokyo was as easy as ordering in the US and paying shipping?

Bonggoy

Reaction score
Also maybe it's because I've never known any other way, but I think people grossly overstate the difficulty of shipping US -> Canada. If we're willing to pay for things such as expedited/express services (which greatly alleviate shipping delays/problems), then why shouldn't Canadian customers have access to those products?
Are there any online sites with a wider selection of Aldens that will ship to Canada? I know of Nomad, Roden Gray, etc. but they only stock 2-3 make-ups at a time.

Do you have to pay for duties when ordering shoes from the USA? If that is the case, that is probably the reason why they don't want to ship to Canada.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Do you have to pay for duties when ordering shoes from the USA?  If that is the case, that is probably the reason why they don't want to ship to Canada.

Ever heard of NAFTA?

Islander

Reaction score
Usually no duty on Alden when shipping to Canada (yeah NAFTA) but DHL, UPS, FedEx will act as your default customs broker at the border and crush you with brokerage fees if you let them. USPS is the best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads