• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that's a single leather sole. the split you are seeing is between the sole and the welt.

ORLY?
84aa0326.jpg

Marcellionheart

Reaction score

To be more specific, I live in Canada. What irks me is that sites such as J. Crew already offer flat shipping rates on everything else they offer, but then turn around and won't even ship their Alden footwear into Canada. I assume that it goes deeper than just 'it's a hassle'. It must be a trade/legal restriction or something.
Also maybe it's because I've never known any other way, but I think people grossly overstate the difficulty of shipping US -> Canada. If we're willing to pay for things such as expedited/express services (which greatly alleviate shipping delays/problems), then why shouldn't Canadian customers have access to those products?
Anyways, more to the point:
Are there any online sites with a wider selection of Aldens that will ship to Canada? I know of Nomad, Roden Gray, etc. but they only stock 2-3 make-ups at a time.

J crew is trying not to undercut J Crew Canada which is basically J Crew +25%. There was a big thing in the news about it. The government did a study and concluded (actually officially said) that it was because of a lack of competition in the market. Having said that, Alden of Carmel, Moulded Shoe, and Leather Soul are great ways to get Aldens in Canada. Also, if you're in Toronto, you can visit Nomad's brick and mortar at Queen and Palmerston.

bort

Reaction score
Thoughts on these J Crew x Alden LWB? I just received them today, and am unsure. The color is a little lighter than I wanted.

J Crew also has the dark brown, but I don't like the black sole.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^ those whiskeys look great, enjoy them! I really need to gets me a pair of those...

Thanks. Funny thing is that I bought the chukkas about two years ago in New York without even realizing what I was doing. I'd been in the Alden shop a couple of times and admired their array of shell chukkas and went with the whiskey for purely aesthetic reasons. My main concern at the time as, gee, I already have a pair of PTBs (in #8 though), aren't these kind of similar? Ha ha. Glad I bought them, of course.

astris

Reaction score

Thoughts on these J Crew x Alden LWB? I just received them today, and am unsure. The color is a little lighter than I wanted.

J Crew also has the dark brown, but I don't like the black sole.

That picture sold me on them, so I picked up a pair. You are correct, they are lighter and much shinier in person. I ended up returning mine.

Last edited:

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also maybe it's because I've never known any other way, but I think people grossly overstate the difficulty of shipping US -> Canada. If we're willing to pay for things such as expedited/express services (which greatly alleviate shipping delays/problems), then why shouldn't Canadian customers have access to those products?

I've shipped 2 things to Canada:

1 time was a electronics worth $900 that were being sent back for repair. It took 3 months for them to arrive. I actually filed paperwork with the USPS thinking they were lost in transit

The second time I shipped something to Canada, it took 1 month.

Both times I was shipping from New York.

Never again

Last edited:

TWorksheets

Reaction score

A simple yes or no answer will suffice.  

Nope.

Because of NAFTA Canadians do not pay duties on goods that have been manufactured in the US. But even if they did, the point would still be moot because the buyer is the one paying the duties, not the seller.

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score

Nope.
Because of NAFTA Canadians do not pay duties on goods that have been manufactured in the US. But even if they did, the point would still be moot because the buyer is the one paying the duties, not the seller.

I have two pair of Alden's.
My 403's came from Leather Soul in Hawaii. LS charged me an extra $35 (I believe) for shipping, but then I got dinged with another charge when they got here, sorry, cannot remember how much. There is one store in Toronto that stocks Alden and that stock is very little and the choice is mediocre if anything. I came out paying less then I would have if I bought the same boot from the store in Toronto.... I believe I saved $50.
My second pair were bought while I was in NYC from Leffot. I do believe he does ship to Toronto, just email or call him to be sure. Steven is very accommodating so I am sure he will.

Good luck.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Uncle, an amazing shine and beautiful shoes. I notice they have a commando sole. May I ask where you got them? I've been looking for just such a pair.

thank you
from ls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads