• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ravello lhs
argyles otc

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AE_afficionado

Reaction score
How does the Jcrew x alden cordovan captoe on Barrie last stack up relatively speaking? My (suspected) size is not available new, but I came across a pair whose owner never wore them...zero sole wear. Some early creasing in the uppers from probably carpet wear.

I already have AE Daltons in burgundy shell so I was considering Wolverine 744 LTD's in brown shell for a more casual alternative.

Are there any other Alden makeups out there right now I should be looking at (#8 or cigar...no black right now) I'm not very familiar with Alden retailers but have been checking Leffot, Epaulet, Unionmade, need supply, AoC, TSM, alden San Francisco, Leathersoul. others?

I like the Kirkwood captoe makeup that Unionmade offers, but no apparent stock in 10D on their website.

Last edited:

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, the AE Dalton in burgundy shell is the one AE shoe/boot that I feel competes well with Alden, in terms of look and quality, and honestly beats Alden's color 8 WT boot on Barrie (Unionmade) by a mile. I'd have to see it side by side with a plaza lasted WT to compare.

It's my first pair of high end boots and favorite pair. Right amount of sleekness, the right shade of burgundy. Thick leather soles that sound like an officer is walking down the hall to interrogate you.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Honestly, the AE Dalton in burgundy shell is the one AE shoe/boot that I feel competes well with Alden, in terms of look and quality, and honestly beats Alden's color 8 WT boot on Barrie (Unionmade) by a mile. I'd have to see it side by side with a plaza lasted WT to compare.

It's my first pair of high end boots and favorite pair. Right amount of sleekness, the right shade of burgundy. Thick leather soles that sound like an officer is walking down the hall to interrogate you.

Interesting. I didn't like my Burgundy Shell Dalton's and sold them. I don't like how the lined version lacks the stitching on the inside of the perforations on the side. The last didn't work too well for my feet either. It looks incomplete to me.I am trying to replace them with the Plaza lasted Wingtip Boot. I do much prefer the WT Boot on the Plaza. But I think the Plaza last is Alden's best last (particularly for boots). Just patiently waiting for the next run so I can get my narrow boot...

Hope all is having a good and safe Saturday!

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

How does the Jcrew x alden cordovan captoe on Barrie last stack up relatively speaking? My (suspected) size is longer available new, but I came across a pair whose owner never wore them...zero sole wear. Some early creasing in the uppers from probably carpet wear.

I already have AE Daltons in burgundy shell so I was considering Wolverine 744 LTD's in brown shell for a more casual alternative.

Are there any other Alden makeups out there right now I should be looking at (#8 or cigar...no black right now) I'm not very familiar with Alden retailers but have been checking Leffot, Epaulet, Unionmade, need supply, AoC, TSM, alden San Francisco, Leathersoul. others?

I like the Kirkwood captoe makeup that Unionmade offers, but no apparent stock in 10D on their website.

Buddy, if you are looking for Cap Toe Boots, Alden makes a nice array of them. Alden DC does them in Black (4065), Color 8 (4060hc), Cigar, and Ravello with speed hooks on the Commando. The 4060 "series" has no broguing on the toe though and is made on the Grant last. ShoeMart and some others offer the same design with a double leather sole and all eyelets.

The Naval Boot has the broguing on the toe and can be purchased from a number of retailers. Leffot is pretty well known for doing this design in Color 8 on Antique edging on the Barrie last. JCrew offers it with a black edge also on the Barrie last. LS did a run like this called the jumper boot and have made them in several colors including Cigar.

Hope that helps!! I can post some pictures when I get home tonight.

Last edited:

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ One can never accuse MDubs of not being helpful (nor vastly knowledgable of course)

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That said, I am in the market for a black shell boot. Any personal faves for those who own a pair? Tend to like the TSM captoe, all eyelets on double leather. Commando is super comfy, but I'm a bit "fearful" that a black shiny boot on commando may make me look like a guerilla rebel, punk rocker, or disenchanted emo teen.

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

I love AE's Dalton. I have two pairs, on in the aforementioned burgundy shell cordovan and another in bourbon calf. Wonderful boots. I would purchase another pair, but would prefer a cap toe instead of another pair of Wingtips in cordovan. Maybe the Wolverines should be my target.

Down the line I wouldn't rule out purchasing another pair of Daltons, maybe in chocolate calf the next time they go on sale.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Dalton boot looks like hell. Undersized wingtip, as if they didn't cut enough material to stitch to the vamp. All shaft and no head. Now let's get back to Aldens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics