• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
The Dalton boot looks like hell. Undersized wingtip, as if they didn't cut enough material to stitch to the vamp. All shaft and no head. Now let's get back to Aldens.

Beebs, I am with you personally, I like the Dalton, but there was always something slightly odd with the fit for me. I agree with you on the Aldens!

-Mike

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But this wingtip is highly preferred :)

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
That said, I am in the market for a black shell boot. Any personal faves for those who own a pair? Tend to like the TSM captoe, all eyelets on double leather. Commando is super comfy, but I'm a bit "fearful" that a black shiny boot on commando may make me look like a guerilla rebel, punk rocker, or disenchanted emo teen.

Beebs, I am now getting two Black Shell Boots. I am getting the Black NST Boot on the Plaza Last from JGilbert and I am getting the Alden Black Cap Toe on the Grant on Command with Hooks (4065HC) from Alden DC. Kathy was just getting ready to do another run of the 4065HC about a month ago, she may have already submitted the order. Not sure if they were pre-confirmed or not. Yenni has made her NST her top pri order.

-Mike

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Black shell NST on Plaza sounds awesome. I have been wanting a black boot and that would fit the bill quite nicely.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I love AE's Dalton. I have two pairs, on in the aforementioned burgundy shell cordovan and another in bourbon calf. Wonderful boots. I would purchase another pair, but would prefer a cap toe instead of another pair of Wingtips in cordovan. Maybe the Wolverines should be my target.

Down the line I wouldn't rule out purchasing another pair of Daltons, maybe in chocolate calf the next time they go on sale.

Buddy, just out of curiosity, have you tried an Alden boot on yet?

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds has a thread. I have owned some, worn some, and have one pair left that I'd like to sell. They are nowhere near as nice as Aldens. They offer a good value for a properly goodyear welted leather soled shoe made in the US. But if you can afford better, your feet deserve better. And their shell offerings, unless you get them as seconds or somehow on sale, are simply not a great deal when the same can be had from Alden or Carmina, whose lasts and craftsmanship are far superior. Mac and the other juggernauts of this thread do not own AE for a reason - wearing them is a day not wearing Alden.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe. I actually am loving Carmina's stuff a bit more. For boots, I'll always love Alden. Not as big a fan of Alden calfskin, but I do have my Alden boots, which are my babies.

And yes, my Dalton in shell does compare favorably. At least I think so. My AE mora 2.0? Not so much.

Carry on :)

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beebs, I am now getting two Black Shell Boots. I am getting the Black NST Boot on the Plaza Last from JGilbert and I am getting the Alden Black Cap Toe on the Grant on Command with Hooks (4065HC) from Alden DC. Kathy was just getting ready to do another run of the 4065HC about a month ago, she may have already submitted the order. Not sure if they were pre-confirmed or not. Yenni has made her NST her top pri order.

-Mike

But Mike, didn't you have an issue with too much creasing on nsts, or do you think the plaza would give a different result?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds has a thread. I have owned some, worn some, and have one pair left that I'd like to sell. They are nowhere near as nice as Aldens. They offer a good value for a properly goodyear welted leather soled shoe made in the US. But if you can afford better, your feet deserve better. And their shell offerings, unless you get them as seconds or somehow on sale, are simply not a great deal when the same can be had from Alden or Carmina, whose lasts and craftsmanship are far superior. Mac and the other juggernauts of this thread do not own AE for a reason - wearing them is a day not wearing Alden.

Roguls, I agree with you by and large. I still really like the Strand. I wish Alden would make more of the Plaza Semi-Brogues, Alden is an interesting company, as they have some amazing gems that they just don't ever produce...

-Mike

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
But Mike, didn't you have an issue with too much creasing on nsts, or do you think the plaza would give a different result?

Beebs, I had the Ravello NST on the Aberdeen last and it was a 10.5D. I am an 11B or 10.5C on the Aberdeen last. I wanted to give the NST another shot in the proper fitting size. I think that the NSTs do crease, but it was exacerbated by the poor fit on my feet.

I really miss them, the Ravello color on them was amazing, but I know that they are in a good home and are getting more wear than I gave them. Plus I got one of my favorite shoes that I now own out of them.

-Mike

Last edited:

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

Indeed they do have a thread. I mention them as a point of reference. Disparaging and dismissing them is shortsighted / ignorant and indicative of snobbish preconceptions. I've worn some Alden balmorals and in my opinion they are inferior to offerings from Allen Edmonds. Does Alden have a superior selection of bluchers yes? But since most of my dress shoes are balmorals that probably explains why I gravitated to AE instead of Alden. I have boots from both brands, love the Daltons. love my Fifth Streets. I have a pair of Kudu Indy boots which are constructed very well with a great lug sole, but that makeup is overly clunky IMO; that said ai preordered a pair of Indy's from Epaulet this week in their Innsbruck makeup. Bottom line, there are pros and cons to offerings and practices of both companies, and I respect the virtues and benefits that each offer to me as a consumer.

As for so called "juggernauts" everyone has a right to their own opinion and heroes; I consider myself an independent thinker not tied down by the conventions, biases, and preconceptions of others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads