• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Doc I can understand your feelings on the cadet, and given the previous pic of your deep LWB bench I see why it doesnt get much air time. I personally wear mine about once a week, and really like them,  If I were given the choices between the cadet and the lwb - I would go: 1) #8LWB; 2) Black Cadet and 3) Black LWB.  I love the #8 but have never felt much of a draw to the standard black version, although Ive got it on the modified and it has a completely different look with a closed heel.

I had a hard time deciding between the J.Crew Cadet and black LWB, so I bought both....

eyeheartny

Reaction score
My path to my first pair of shell Alden is not linear, apparently. And let me preface this by saying that I've been eagerly awaiting the arrival of these shoes, was super bummed when UPS rescheduled delivery, etc. I say this so I'm not seeming critical, just disappointed...

I just got my J. Crew order of Color 8 LWB, and the shoes are COMPLETELY different colors. I mean, not even close. I couldn't believe how different they were, to the point where one is 4-5 shades lighter/redder than the other. I know there will be variation in a leather that is tanned as long as shell, but these were unwearably different!

I'm a bit surprised Alden let those out of the factory. Either someone isn't paying attention in quality control, or I don't understand something basic about shell.

Fortunately J. Crew is making it right-- the shoes were sold out at the online-fulfillment center, but they found one pair in a retail store and are overnighting them to me.

Thoughts? Should I be concerned that a retail pair may have been walked in and therefore creased on feet that are not mine? Help me think this through.

Vicious49

Reaction score
JCrew was able to find a #8 shell LWB in my size at one of their retail stores and had it shipped to me. They just arrived today but I'm not sure how I feel about them. I'm not as big on them as everyone else seems to be so I'm thinking of returning them. I'll have to reassess them in the daylight.

I was wondering though if they don't put brass eyelets on these? They just have the hole for the shoelace to go through with nothing around it. Couldn't that over time cause wear and enlarge the holes? I can't recall having a pair of Aldens before that didn't have brass eyelets on them.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a hard time deciding between the J.Crew Cadet and black LWB, so I bought both....

You make a compelling argument, nice pics.......the red lining is a nice touch I like the contrast. Your St Crispin's photos have me concerned for my financial condition, by the way

snesmario

Reaction score

Does anyone have any thoughts between the Alden Indy boots and the Wolverine 1000 Mile boots?  Are the Wolverine even close in quality?  They are a couple hundred cheaper - are they a good low cost alternative? Or is the quality difference just overwhelming in the Indy boots?  I don't have a store that even has one or the other to see in person so your opinions mean a lot.  Thank you!

I have both in brown Chromexcel. There is a significant difference in quality. The Indys are fully lined while the Wolverines aren't, which you will notice in out of the box comfort. The Indys just feel better made but the Wolverines seem like they can take quite a beating. If I had to choose between the two and had to pay full retail I would choose the Indy

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You make a compelling argument, nice pics.......the red lining is a nice touch I like the contrast.  Your St Crispin's photos have me concerned for my financial condition, by the way

Thanks NY, I try not to think about the financial's, so long as the shoes look good! Lol

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember when J Crew released the black cadet that a lot of people didn't like it. Including myself. But after having seen it in person multiple times and on the thread, I think it's a great shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads