• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chewbocka

Reaction score
Any idea on what's happening here on my brand new chukkas?

Something that can be repaired (maybe when they need to be resoled)? Is this just part of the handmade goodness of Alden or sloppy work? This is near the toe of my right shoe on the outside.

Last edited:

WTGuthrie

Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts between the Alden Indy boots and the Wolverine 1000 Mile boots? Are the Wolverine even close in quality? They are a couple hundred cheaper - are they a good low cost alternative? Or is the quality difference just overwhelming in the Indy boots? I don't have a store that even has one or the other to see in person so your opinions mean a lot. Thank you!

totalair1

Reaction score
PSA-Alden Shop in San Francisco has a pair of Ravello Chukka's in size 13E if anybody wears that size.

See Ya,
Steve

WTGuthrie

Reaction score
Couldn't choose a boot brand or style so decided to try them all… This is what I call a leather addiction! LOL!

0.jpg

Which did you like the best?

circleslife

Reaction score
Here is a picture of my current boot collection to show the different colors/shapes as well as compare to the Crockett & Jones Islay boot I recently picked up while in Paris (Left to Right):
  • Cigar captoe with commando sole on Grant last - US9D (Alden DC - picked this up off B&S before I figured out my true size)
  • Cigar Indy with commando sole on Trubalance last - US8D (J. Gilbert)
  • Dark Brown Scotch Grain C&J Islay with dainite sole on 365 last - UK7E
  • #8 captoe with commando sole on Grant last - US8.5D (Alden DC)

I wear the Cigar captoe boot with a full insole as they are a little big. They also get the least amount of wear since I work from home most days and still have too many shoes in the rotation (#8 LWB, Ravello LWB, Snuff LWB, Snuff dover PTB). Might have to cull them from the herd at some point...

q8eu.jpg
If you wish to cull Cigar captoe let me know. Before Alden DC gets it. I'm on their waitlist and these will work just fine for me. :)

circleslife

Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts between the Alden Indy boots and the Wolverine 1000 Mile boots? Are the Wolverine even close in quality? They are a couple hundred cheaper - are they a good low cost alternative? Or is the quality difference just overwhelming in the Indy boots? I don't have a store that even has one or the other to see in person so your opinions mean a lot. Thank you!
I prefer the 1000 mile. Buy the Courtland version if you've rain or bad weather. I don't have the Indy's but the Wolverine quality is on par with my other Alden's in feel, comfort and construction.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's generally a good reason when something cost less. Although the 1Ks look great the leather they use is certainly a bit thinner than what they use on the Alden. My preference of the 2 overall would be the Indy boot. The only dislike I have about the Indy is that D*** free moving tongue. Get a cobbler to secure it for you and you'll have one heck of an outstanding boot. Either that for the same price range of the Indy take a look at some Custom White Boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads