• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as an unlined deck jacket? Thinking something more appropriate for the Spring, rather than the pile-lined versions. Haven't come across one, might not be a thing?
Buzz Rickson have made one before that's literally an N-1 style deck jacket without the pile lining and with a corduroy collar
https://hinoya.shop/en/products/br15346
br15346-14_1800x1800.jpg

Freewheelers made a version of the deck worker jacket without the hood too. Not currently available but you might find one second hand.
PRT_8331_20210306.jpg

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are some reliable "English-friendly" webshops for brands like Sun Surf, Toys McCoys, etc. that also carry a lot of items from those brands?

I have found one webshop which is easy to use and which ships internationally, but it doesn't carry much. Another one based in the UK is extremely expensive (charges up to three (!) times the retail price)).

I have found many other webshops, but they are all (obviously) Japanese and don't ship internationally. I do have a freightforwarding address in Japan, but it's still a hassle to navigate the website and enter all the address details correctly. Some webshops also require Japanese character version of my name and I have no idea how to convert my name to Japanese characters, so I can't even get past the checkout stage.

Just to be clear: Japan freight forwarding does work for me most of the time, but it's a hassle & the risk of making a mistake & the package getting lost is greater then when ordering directly.

Who's your dealer?
Entirely depends on the brand. But I've used Zenmarket as a proxy for stuff from Toyo brands and RMC and every transaction has been good from them, albeit it does take a bit of time as it's a back and forth process. Really easy though.

For other brands, most shops respond well to email inquiries and ship internationally.

kurdo

Reaction score
Entirely depends on the brand. But I've used Zenmarket as a proxy for stuff from Toyo brands and RMC and every transaction has been good from them, albeit it does take a bit of time as it's a back and forth process. Really easy though.

For other brands, most shops respond well to email inquiries and ship internationally.
Thank you, had a look into Zenmarket and it's easy to navigate and the offering is good. Will try it out soon :).

Cobra

Reaction score
Thank you, had a look into Zenmarket and it's easy to navigate and the offering is good. Will try it out soon :).
Who do you currently use for your forwarding service? I always use Buyee and I really can’t imagine using anyone else. I’ve used them probably hundreds of times, and they’re cheaper than ever because they stopped charging for combining packages. I believe now they only charge 500 yen per order (combination of fee and inspection/insurance). I've shopped from Yahoo Japan Auctions and Shopping, Mercari, Rakuten, as well as 3rd party websites that use the "Add to Buyee" plugin.They always use DHL/FedEx/EMS and their shipping prices are incredible given that packages usually arrive to me in ~3 days. Since you're interested in Toy's Mccoy and the Toyo Brands, definitely look around Yahoo Japan Shopping as a lot of stores carry them.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are some reliable "English-friendly" webshops for brands like Sun Surf, Toys McCoys, etc. that also carry a lot of items from those brands?

I have found one webshop which is easy to use and which ships internationally, but it doesn't carry much. Another one based in the UK is extremely expensive (charges up to three (!) times the retail price)).

I have found many other webshops, but they are all (obviously) Japanese and don't ship internationally. I do have a freightforwarding address in Japan, but it's still a hassle to navigate the website and enter all the address details correctly. Some webshops also require Japanese character version of my name and I have no idea how to convert my name to Japanese characters, so I can't even get past the checkout stage.

Just to be clear: Japan freight forwarding does work for me most of the time, but it's a hassle & the risk of making a mistake & the package getting lost is greater then when ordering directly.

Who's your dealer?
I've purchased from Rode Japan Pine Avenue. They seem to have a wide selection of brands, and their service is really good and ship quickly.

kurdo

Reaction score
Who do you currently use for your forwarding service? I always use Buyee and I really can’t imagine using anyone else. I’ve used them probably hundreds of times, and they’re cheaper than ever because they stopped charging for combining packages. I believe now they only charge 500 yen per order (combination of fee and inspection/insurance). I've shopped from Yahoo Japan Auctions and Shopping, Mercari, Rakuten, as well as 3rd party websites that use the "Add to Buyee" plugin.They always use DHL/FedEx/EMS and their shipping prices are incredible given that packages usually arrive to me in ~3 days. Since you're interested in Toy's Mccoy and the Toyo Brands, definitely look around Yahoo Japan Shopping as a lot of stores carry them.
Thanks.

I have seen others refer to Buyee on the RRL forum. Will check it out.

I currently use "forward2me.com" as my freight forwarder. With that service, you get your personal address in Japan (a unit number at their warehouse). When you order something from a Japanese webshop, you have to enter that address and wait for "forward2me" to confirm receipt of your package. Then you have to enter the details of the contents of the package for customs purposes. Once you have done that for all your packages, you can have the service "repack & combine" everything and send a single package to your home address.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow 800 Euros seems kinda lot for that? Even just compared to the brand's other jackets... seems random.

I also find it amusing them using the picture of Paul Newman wearing an N-1 to advertise a summer jacket that quite tenuously resembles one lol

St. Anger Snare Tone

Reaction score
Piggybacking off the recent chat about buying direct from Japan, can anyone tell me if https://dubbleworks.com/ is legit? Seems kind of dumb to ask seeing it typed out like that, but something got my spidey-senses tingling.

The prices are in line with stuff I’ve seen on Bears/Denimio/Rakuten but it feels a little slick to me (especially when compared to the Warehouse website which is more typically Japanese). Thank you!

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am heading to Japan here soon. Will be in Tokyo and Osaka. Recs on stores to hit? I used to buy from Japan all the time when Rakuten Global Market was a thing.

Looking through old emails, all I have a record of is buying from Paradise Market in Osaka, which I will check out.

I'm not just looking for repro per-se. I would love to find brick-and-mortar spots with Iron Heart jeans and Sun Surf Hawaiians, but I'm also very interested in the Japanese-only Schott runs and Red Wing runs.

Any advice strongly appreciated!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am heading to Japan here soon. Will be in Tokyo and Osaka. Recs on stores to hit? I used to buy from Japan all the time when Rakuten Global Market was a thing.

Looking through old emails, all I have a record of is buying from Paradise Market in Osaka, which I will check out.

I'm not just looking for repro per-se. I would love to find brick-and-mortar spots with Iron Heart jeans and Sun Surf Hawaiians, but I'm also very interested in the Japanese-only Schott runs and Red Wing runs.

Do a quick search through here, someone just went on a trip and got a bunch of recs.

Jerkstore

Reaction score

We should make this a pinned post. I edited to add some more.

You won't find Iron Heart anywhere in Tokyo except for the main store on Hochigi and good luck getting there. Go to Iron Heart Osaka (still off the beaten path, but only 30min versus 2.5 hours)

Otherwise, go to:
Ueno: Hinoya (3 stores all right near each other and each carry different brands), Americaya
Shibuya/Harajakju: The Real McCoys, Flat Head, Full Count, Studio D'Artisan, Momotaro (in a mall on the second floor), and Pure Blue Japan.
Ebisu: Jelado, Warehouse

My advice is to start at Warehouse and work back to Pure Blue Japan or vice versa. You'll easily hit them all.

When you go to Ueno, hit up the food stalls under the train station. Then walk to Akihabara and play some video games.

Also, go to dinner at Ginza Steak Second Shop. $100 AYCE Wagyu. Solid spot.

I love Tokyo.

Last edited:

Freshnewduds23

Reaction score
Looking to get my first proper denim jacket.. realized I love a super cropped fit (20-21.5" inches washed) with a boxy silhouette, my guess is a Type 1 or a storm rider fits these criteria?

Anyway.. I'm having a hard time finding any Japanese brands that fit these specs. I've found Bryceland's Type 1 to be gorgeous, but the sleeves are a tad too long for me. Any other recommendations? No budget in mind.

I'd appreciate all the help!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to get my first proper denim jacket.. realized I love a super cropped fit (20-21.5" inches washed) with a boxy silhouette, my guess is a Type 1 or a storm rider fits these criteria?

Anyway.. I'm having a hard time finding any Japanese brands that fit these specs. I've found Bryceland's Type 1 to be gorgeous, but the sleeves are a tad too long for me. Any other recommendations? No budget in mind.

I'd appreciate all the help!
Look at Black Sign. Their denim jacket was super cropped

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads