• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Art Thread

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have been several threads on different specific art subjects started here. But there's no general art thread for discussing the art we're into, collect, aspire to own etc. etc. etc.

I've been thinking about this recently because I've been matting and framing a number of pieces I've bought over the last couple of years. I'm mainly into Japanese woodblock prints, not so much the classic ukiyo-e artists like Hokusai, Hiroshige or Utagawa (although I do have a couple of Hiroshige's prints from recarved blocks), but more the modern artists associated with the Shin-hanga ("new prints") and Sosaku-Hanga ("creative prints") genres. The good thing about collecting prints is that it isn't super-expensive. I'm not bothered about exclusivity anyway.

Of the shin-hanga artists, everyone seems to love Hasui, but I like Toshi Yoshida. Of the ones I have by him, this is my favourite:

56491g1.jpg

However I particularly like some of the more abstract sosaku hanga stuff, like this textural piece by perhaps my favourite late C20th printmaker, Haku Maki, which I just bought:

84150a.jpg

I also look out for some of the more unusual pieces connected to, but not directly part of, these movements - for example, the Austrian artist, Hundertwasser, lived in Japan for a number of years and learned woodblock printing techniques and made quite a few prints. He also worked with Japanese woodblock producers to create versions of some of his paintings. I've wanted one of these for year, and I finally managed to get hold of one for a reasonable price. This is 'Talk (or Conversation) in a Rain of Blood' (1997):
254k419f.jpg

Finally, I'm also interested in contemporary First Nations artists, but I'll do a post on them another time.

Is there anyone else here who collects? Or would like to? What are you all into?

FBHeavyIndustries

Reaction score
I have a small collection of mixed media, sculpture and oil paintings from local Bay Area artists.

I want to buy some high quality reproductions of famous oil paintings. Does anyone have experience doing this? I would love to get recommendations for a service/company that does this.

I am not sure how much this should cost. I would be willing to spend a few thousand on each though ideally, I would like to spend less as they are copies and likely have little resale value.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought there was an art mega thread already, but I can't find it.

Angela Suto.jpg

I like cityscapes and architecture focused paintings

alfredrapidly

Reaction score
Now when I think about it, my favorite artists are probably either Alphonse Mucha or Ivan Bilibin. They both used mythical motives in their art inspired by Slavic mythology and their world view. Mucha's Zodiac, Holy Mount Athos, and The Apotheosis of the Slavs are great masterpieces, just like Bilibin's Baba Yaga, Vasilisa the Beautiful, and other illustrations.
Surprisingly, I also like and get inspirited by Persian Tattoo's. I like Persian calligraphy and the Persian alphabet, which is based on Arabic script but used to transmit messages in Farsi. It's cool to see messages in Farsi on people's bodies because it raises awareness about Iranian culture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads