• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

elongatedskull

Reaction score
Looking to get my first proper denim jacket.. realized I love a super cropped fit (20-21.5" inches washed) with a boxy silhouette, my guess is a Type 1 or a storm rider fits these criteria?

Anyway.. I'm having a hard time finding any Japanese brands that fit these specs. I've found Bryceland's Type 1 to be gorgeous, but the sleeves are a tad too long for me. Any other recommendations? No budget in mind.

I'd appreciate all the help!

Buy something unwashed and give it a hot wash and dry with lots of spin i think that's the only way anything would end up that short brand new... my made in USA Mister Freedom ranch blouse is actually the shortest jacket i have... about 21" back length but it's seen some serious laundering..

Older Real MCoys on eBay or YJA might get you what you want too, RMC used to do very accurate and licensed Wrangler and Lee reproductions.

elongatedskull

Reaction score
Piggybacking off the recent chat about buying direct from Japan, can anyone tell me if https://dubbleworks.com/ is legit? Seems kind of dumb to ask seeing it typed out like that, but something got my spidey-senses tingling.

The prices are in line with stuff I’ve seen on Bears/Denimio/Rakuten but it feels a little slick to me (especially when compared to the Warehouse website which is more typically Japanese). Thank you!
Looks legit.. i believe the idea with Dubbleworks is that it's a little more accessible than Warehouse.

elongatedskull

Reaction score
I've purchased from Rode Japan Pine Avenue. They seem to have a wide selection of brands, and their service is really good and ship quickly.
Can't recommend this shop highly enough, i've bought from him a few times now and last time i placed my order on a Friday and he overnighted the package so it showed up on my doorstep on Monday, unreal service!

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't recommend this shop highly enough, i've bought from him a few times now and last time i placed my order on a Friday and he overnighted the package so it showed up on my doorstep on Monday, unreal service!
Yep, these guys are ace. Super detailed sizing descriptions, decent prices and shipping.

elongatedskull

Reaction score
we should make a list of online retailers who ship.

Bears
Rodeo
Okayama Denim
Denimio
Celluloid1984
Barnstormer
Hinoya

Anyone else?
If we're counting stores that integrate proxy services into their web design then store.w-river.com (Western River/West Ride) and toys-mccoys.shop-pro.jp both use World Shipping, I've found this very reliable. Also, your regional Real McCoy's retailer will be more than happy to special order anything in stock at therealmccoys.jp for you ;)

EDIt: klaxon-store.jp... ran by the owners of The Strike Gold

Last edited:

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mcfly
Speedway
Genco

All good sources for freewheelers and a few other niche brands.

Masuya

For Oldehomesteader, black sign and others

I've ordered from all these stores via email over the years and all are easy and great to buy from

Freshnewduds23

Reaction score
Buy something unwashed and give it a hot wash and dry with lots of spin i think that's the only way anything would end up that short brand new... my made in USA Mister Freedom ranch blouse is actually the shortest jacket i have... about 21" back length but it's seen some serious laundering..

Older Real MCoys on eBay or YJA might get you what you want too, RMC used to do very accurate and licensed Wrangler and Lee reproductions.
Thank you!

Been looking through Ebay as you suggested, and found this:

Not familiar with the "71506" model.. couldn't find much online about it. However, it seems like it has the measurements I'm after. But I don't want to get taken for a ride either, and should really do my due diligence.

Any thoughts on it?

elongatedskull

Reaction score
Thank you!

Been looking through Ebay as you suggested, and found this:

Not familiar with the "71506" model.. couldn't find much online about it. However, it seems like it has the measurements I'm after. But I don't want to get taken for a ride either, and should really do my due diligence.

Any thoughts on it?
It's some kind of 90's Levi's Vintage Clothing reproduction, perfectly legitimate if that's what you're concerned about!

kurdo

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Toys McCoy A-2 leather flight jacket? Curious to hear opinions & see some photos. They have some very beautiful flight jackets with incredible art; I believe some of it is historically accurate (copies of paintings on B-17 noses, flight jackets), but I think some of them may be original - can anyone confirm? Bit difficult to find information.

Also interested in hearing other thoughts/opinions about this brand and its other items. Are the reproductions of high quality and worth their price tag in your opinion? I am an avid film collector - and "The Great Escape", which is the subject of one of their lines, just happens to be one of my all-time favorites. Needless to say, I have been a bit obsessed with the brand since I discovered it...

Last year, I went on a road trip to visit sights from "The Great Escape"; here's a scene/sight comparison pic I took :).

VideoCapture_20240307-150443.jpg

Last edited:

elongatedskull

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Toys McCoy A-2 leather flight jacket? Curious to hear opinions & see some photos. They have some very beautiful flight jackets with incredible art; I believe some of it is historically accurate (copies of paintings on B-17 noses, flight jackets), but I think some of them may be original - can anyone confirm? Bit difficult to find information.

Also interested in hearing other thoughts/opinions about this brand and its other items. Are the reproductions of high quality and worth their price tag in your opinion? I am an avid film collector - and "The Great Escape", which is the subject of one of their lines, just happens to be one of my all-time favorites. Needless to say, I have been a bit obsessed with the brand since I discovered it...

Last year, I went on a road trip to visit sights from "The Great Escape"; here's a scene/sight comparison pic I took :).

View attachment 2144725
I do not own one but if I was to buy an A-2 it would certainly be from Toys. Most of their jacket artwork is simply inspired by vintage jackets, I believe the owner of the company hand paints all of the garments himself(?).. It's a bit more of a playful aesthetic than Buzz Rickson or somesuch.

Their Great Escape A-2 seems accurate, the one McQueen wears in the movie however was refurbished, I'm not sure if the Toys McCoy jacket has this same treatment although it certainly could. Eastman Leather's 'Escape A-2' features a much more pronounced repainted effect. If you're a stickler for the authenticity of the jacket then it's worth mentioning that I'm not certain if the Toys McCoy version comes with Hilts' lapel pin under the collar either.. But supposedly the actual A-2 from the film is in a private collection in Japan, and the McCoy is quite literally a direct copy of it, whereas the Eastman is only copied from stills of the film.
Lovely photo and lovely film!! Can't think of a moviestar since who gets it done quite like McQueen

kurdo

Reaction score
I do not own one but if I was to buy an A-2 it would certainly be from Toys. Most of their jacket artwork is simply inspired by vintage jackets, I believe the owner of the company hand paints all of the garments himself(?).. It's a bit more of a playful aesthetic than Buzz Rickson or somesuch.

Their Great Escape A-2 seems accurate, the one McQueen wears in the movie however was refurbished, I'm not sure if the Toys McCoy jacket has this same treatment although it certainly could. Eastman Leather's 'Escape A-2' features a much more pronounced repainted effect. If you're a stickler for the authenticity of the jacket then it's worth mentioning that I'm not certain if the Toys McCoy version comes with Hilts' lapel pin under the collar either.. But supposedly the actual A-2 from the film is in a private collection in Japan, and the McCoy is quite literally a direct copy of it, whereas the Eastman is only copied from stills of the film.
Lovely photo and lovely film!! Can't think of a moviestar since who gets it done quite like McQueen

I do like the Hilts leather jacket a lot, but there are others I like even more. They are more expensive though, so need to do thorough research before I can justify the purchase :p.

I like all their clothes as well. I don't usually wear sweaters, but they have many sweaters that I would wear. The aesthetic is just brilliant.

elongatedskull

Reaction score
I do like the Hilts leather jacket a lot, but there are others I like even more. They are more expensive though, so need to do thorough research before I can justify the purchase :p.

I like all their clothes as well. I don't usually wear sweaters, but they have many sweaters that I would wear. The aesthetic is just brilliant.
I see! well as far as pattern's are concerned they do not lack in authenticity.. check out Buzz Rickson as well as they do in fact directly copy the art from vintage jackets, the same goes for the few Eastman jackets that have art. If there's a particular squadron or nose art that you want it is always possible to buy a nice blank reproduction jacket and send it to someone like Romain Hugault to have custom art done.

I have one Toys sweatshirt and a pair of jeans, they're both very nice! I'd love to get a couple of their Marilyn Monroe t shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads