• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soy Milk....good or bad?

tallgolfnut

Reaction score
I've been a soy milk drinker for quite a few years now and now have been hearing some bad about soy milk. I usually use it on my cereal, oatmeal or fruit smoothie protein shakes after my work out. Hear it decreases testosterone and can cause "man boobs". what's the general opinion on soy milk? regular milk upsets my stomach, however I don't think I'm lactose tolerant.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the reason is because soymilk contains a compound similar to human estrogen. Back in college all I drank was soymilk so I did a little bit of research on the topic and it by most studies it's totally false that it will impact your hormonal makeup.

Based on the other people who drank soymilk though, I'm pretty sure it whitens your teeth. Anecdotally.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soy is scientifically proven to promote estrogen. Not a ridiculous amount, but can be noticeable.

Simple as that.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it can effect your hormone levels, in large ammounts. I use about half a liter a week. it has a lot of benifitial properties as well. moderation is key

iampeter

Reaction score
one time i read somewhere soy can cause acne, so i cut it out of my diet along with a slew of other things that may cause acne. i cannot prove that soy alone could cause that though since i made lots of other changes at the time. I miss soy milk
frown.gif
. but clear skin > soy
smile.gif

ashpool

Reaction score
I did some research a while ago and the results basically were:

- The old trend was that soy milk was super healthy.
- New research shows little correlation between improved health and drinking soy milk.

So if you love the taste go for it, if not, go for almond or rice milk.

Can you consume whey? It's basically the best nutrients from milk concetrated.

gilwood

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the milk organization is very powerful and can influence many studies. The "Got Milk" ad campaign actually boosted milk consumption by a huge percentage. They have a lot to lose.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It tastes worse than milk and has fewer culinary uses. It's also more expensive. I don't see how it's healthier on a general level than milk, anyway. Is there a purpose to this **** beyond punchlines?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it's an udder waste IMO.
rimshot.gif

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now raw milk...THAT's where it's at. Pasteurization f's with the protein

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Men's Health had some story about an old guy that drank 8 glasses a day of the stuff and grew boobs and started acting womanly. One doctor thought he was crazy and using hormones and denying it. One endocrinologist eventually found the cause and did a long tern study on him.

Where do you get unpasteurized milk. Im in SoCal. Any leads?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
as globetrotter said, moderation is the key... soy milk is only bad if you have a very high uric acid level. the estrogen thing would be bad if you drink an obscene amount everyday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads