• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soy Milk....good or bad?

Treehorn

Reaction score
It took a little adjusting to at first for me, but I've been mixing it with my whey in the morning and have started to love the cleanness of it. I feel like skim milk gives me dairy lag....

Wrigglez

Reaction score
I've been drinking soy milk way before it was popular; (in the western world anyway) the plant based estrogens do not cause an inverse in the levels of testosterone. However, having more estrogens is being tested to reduce prostate cancer, and hair loss. Results for prostate cancer prevention have been looking promising

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
Most of the overly-processed soy stuff Americans eat is crap.

Is fresh, locally-made tofu exempt from "crap" status? A vendor at a local Korean grocery store makes tofu, and it has a shelf life of 3-4 days before it gets funky. It's an eye opener compared to typical grocery store tofu.

I see your point about veggies burgers and such..... way too much processing and engineering.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[sic]it appears to be scientifically proven by more than two scientists.

lol? Is that like, three dudes?

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a problem with my grammar?

EAT CHEMICALLY-EXTRACTED SOY! IDGAS!

Is fresh, locally-made tofu exempt from "crap" status? A vendor at a local Korean grocery store makes tofu, and it has a shelf life of 3-4 days before it gets funky. It's an eye opener compared to typical grocery store tofu.
There are soy products that are fine in moderation. It all depends on the processing and if they are fermented or not.

You don't see many people in the Far East substituting GM soy products created with a chemical bath for half their diet. That's reserved for foolish Americans.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are soy products that are fine in moderation. It all depends on the processing and if they are fermented or not.

You don't see many people in the Far East substituting GM soy products created with a chemical bath for half their diet. That's reserved for foolish Americans.

Is there anything that actually shows fermentation alters the phytochemicals in soy, or is this just common thought because Asians are thought to primarily eat soy in the form of tofu and soy sauce?

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently the negative effects are offset with fermentation and consumption together with meat or fish:

" Soybeans are also high in phytic acid or phytates. This is an organic acid, present in the bran or hulls of all seeds, which blocks the uptake of essential minerals-calcium, magnesium, iron and especially zinc-in the intestinal tract. Although not a household word, phytates have been extensively studied. Scientists are in general agreement that grain and legume based diets high in phytates contribute to widespread mineral deficiencies in third world countries.5 Analysis shows that calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc are present in the plant foods eaten in these areas, but the high phytate content of soy and rice based diets prevents their absorption. The soybean has a higher phytate content than any other grain or legume that has been studied.6 Furthermore, it seems to be highly resistant to many phytate reducing techniques such as long, slow cooking.7 Only a long period of fermentation will significantly reduce the phytate content of soybeans. Thus fermented products such as tempeh and miso provide nourishment that is easily assimilated, but the nutritional value of tofu and bean curd, both high in phytates, is questionable.

When precipitated soy products are consumed with meat, the mineral blocking effects of the phytates are reduced.8 The Japanese traditionally eat tofu as part of a mineral-rich fish broth. Vegetarians who consume tofu and bean curd as a substitute for meat and dairy products risk severe mineral deficiencies. The results of calcium, magnesium and iron deficiency are well known, those of zinc are less so. Zinc is called the intelligence mineral because it is needed for optimal development and functioning of the brain and nervous system. It plays a role in protein synthesis and collagen formation; it is involved in the blood sugar control mechanism and thus protects against diabetes; it is needed for a healthy reproductive system. Zinc is a key component in numerous vital enzymes and plays a role in the immune system. Phytates found in soy products interfere with zinc absorption more completely than with other minerals.9 Literature extolling soy products tends to minimize the role of zinc in human physiology, and to gloss over the deleterious effect of diets high in phytic acid.

Milk drinking is given as the reason second generation Japanese in America grow taller than their native ancestors. Some investigators postulate that the reduced phytate content of the American diet"”whatever may be its other deficiencies-is the true explanation, pointing out that Asian and Oriental children who do not get enough meat and fish products to counteract the effects of a high phytate diet, frequently suffer rickets, stunting and other growth problems.10 The current climate of medical opinion in America has cast a cloud of disapproval on tallness. Parents would do well to ask their six-year-old boys whether they would prefer to be six-foot-one or five-foot-seven when they grow up, before substituting tofu for eggs, meat and dairy products. "

6. El Tiney, A.H., "Proximate Composition and Mineral and Phytate Contents of Legumes Grown in Sudan", Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, v. 2, 1989, pp. 67-78.

7. Ologhobo, A.D., et. al., "Distribution of phosphorus and phytate in some Nigerian varieties of legumes and some effects of processing", J-Food-Sci, v.49 (1), Jan/Feb 1984, pp. 199-201.

8. Sandstrom, B. et. al., "Effect of protein level and protein source on zinc absorption in humans", J-Nutr, v. 119 (1), Jan 1989, pp. 48-53; Tait, Susan, et. al., "The availability of minerals in food, with particular reference to iron", J-R-Soc-Health, v. 103 (2), April 1983, pp. 74-77.

9. Phytate reduction of zinc absorption has been demonstrated in numerous studies; results are summarized in Leviton, Op. Cit, pp. 14-15.

10. Mellanby, Edward, "Experimental rickets: The effect of cereals and their interaction with other factors of diet and environment in producing rickets:", Medical Research Council, v.93, Mar 1925, pp. 2-65; Wills, M.R., et. al., "Phytic Acid and Nutritional Rickets in Immigrants", The Lancet, April 8,1972, pp. 771-773.

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/ploy.html

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stuff
That isn't particular to soy since pretty much all legumes contain lots of phosphoric acids. It says nothing of what I was asking about (phytochemicals, specifically phytoestrogen) which are the main concern for men and people that take hormone medications.

Surfrider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
for you guys who drink soy milk. is it hard to drink while there's a cock in your mouth?
Oh em gee, that is so funny! And true, too, 'cause we all know that **** are the only ones who drink soymilk. I would love to hear more of what you have to say. Do you have a newsletter I might subscribe to?

Originally Posted by Treehorn
\\I feel like skim milk gives me dairy lag....
Assuming you don't have an actual allergy to something in that skim milk, I would bet all the money currently in my bank account that this is psychosomatic.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
That isn't particular to soy since pretty much all legumes contain lots of phosphoric acids. It says nothing of what I was asking about (phytochemicals, specifically phytoestrogen) which are the main concern for men and people that take hormone medications.

I haven't seen anything about phytoestrogen and fermentation. Most of what I've read is directed at the average consumer and geared toward a common sense approach to soy products.

Don't replace half your diet with soy. Try to avoid chemically-processed soy products. Some old-school fermented soy on occasion will not kill you.

As far as people on hormonal supplements are concerned, I personally wouldn't use a style forum on the Internet as a source of information on possible food interactions with my treatment"”were I prescribed such a regimen.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as people on hormonal supplements are concerned, I personally wouldn't use a style forum on the Internet as a source of information on possible food interactions with my treatment"”were I prescribed such a regimen.

That's not really what I (or anyone else) is concerned with, though. This is "Soy Milk....good or bad?", and as much as I hate such polarized descriptors, trying to make sense of the whole debate requires at least some proof of claims.

thatoreoguy

Reaction score
I have been supplementing my milk intake with soymilk for about a year and actually prefer soymilk in 90% of things now.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I only drink milk freshly squeezed from grandma's teet

MrZambrotto

Reaction score
Milk thistle is supposed to be very safe, and I used it for a while. But not long ago I found on here somewhere, someone saying it shouldnt be used with SSRIs, something to do with some liver enzyme I think...
Hello! My name is Zambrotto! brady quinn cheap shot - nice shot

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member