• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I just received a sample of AdP and found it lacking. Not sure what, but from the first spritz I was just underwhelmed. I'll try it again shortly, but I'm more in a Yatagan frame of mind. In fact, wearing that very scent as I type this. Maybe I just like the smell of burning things.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I just received a sample of AdP and found it lacking. Not sure what, but from the first spritz I was just underwhelmed. I'll try it again shortly, but I'm more in a Yatagan frame of mind. In fact, wearing that very scent as I type this. Maybe I just like the smell of burning things.

Another that's just come to mind for you to put on your list, Thomas, is Le Labo Patchouli 24. It's not got much patchouli, but tons of smoke and birch tar. Smells like you've been burning fall leaves for six days without sleep. It costs a fortune, unfortunately, but it's pretty amazing and has some of the best longevity of anything I've tried.

I'm down to my last few mls, otherwise I'd send you some, but there are a number of basenoters (maybe even Phil ((Joel_Cairo)) has some) that could get you a decant to try...

Omega Man

Reaction score
Anyone know what is happening with Basenote? I typed this on Google and it says the Domain name has been registered with someone else.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^They're having some sort of difficulty and the site is down. Over the summer, they switched over to a new server to handle the higher amount of traffic, and I think they're still working out the "bugs." That's just my guess... but I'm sure it will be back up before too long...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Another that's just come to mind for you to put on your list, Thomas, is Le Labo Patchouli 24. It's not got much patchouli, but tons of smoke and birch tar. Smells like you've been burning fall leaves for six days without sleep. It costs a fortune, unfortunately, but it's pretty amazing and has some of the best longevity of anything I've tried.

I'm down to my last few mls, otherwise I'd send you some, but there are a number of basenoters (maybe even Phil ((Joel_Cairo)) has some) that could get you a decant to try...

hmmm...the birch tar sounds as though it might share some lineage with Creed's Cuir de Russie. I got a large sample and liked it, but not well enough to actually spring for a bottle, particularly the liter size that seems to be the only one available.

Speaking of leather-based scents, wearing Cuiron today. I should have waited for cooler weather, but around these parts that mean December.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
hmmm...the birch tar sounds as though it might share some lineage with Creed's Cuir de Russie. I got a large sample and liked it, but not well enough to actually spring for a bottle, particularly the liter size that seems to be the only one available.

Speaking of leather-based scents, wearing Cuiron today. I should have waited for cooler weather, but around these parts that mean December.

I didnt see much in common with the Creed and the Le Labo... the Creed has a sort of old-world Gentleman's club feel... the Le Labo is much more direct and dark.

Swann

Reaction score
Does Creed`s Cuir de Russie have anything in common with the Chanel fragrance of the same name?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Swann
Does Creed`s Cuir de Russie have anything in common with the Chanel fragrance of the same name?

Have not tried the Chanel, but I cannot really imagine women going for smelling like the Creed CdR. Creed's is incredibly un-womanly. Actually, I can't imagine Chanel making something so incredibly un-womanly, even for a man.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Chanel Cuir de Russie is actually rather un-feminine though not quite brash.

It's a '20s scent that was recently re-introduced in some sort of limited edition. I imagine it's ideal for the women who favors Tabac Blond.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The Chanel Cuir de Russie is actually rather un-feminine though not quite brash.

It's a '20s scent that was recently re-introduced in some sort of limited edition. I imagine it's ideal for the women who favors Tabac Blond.

Was it the Cuir de Russie that was the 'dirty' scent? There was one - maybe it was No. 19 - that hinted at a darker side behind a good upbringing. Never sure what exactly they mean with some scents. Tabac Blond, I sampled once and not sure what is behind the appeal. Will probably try again when near a sink or shower.

Today - btw - SCS Bay Rum with a Twist. Light and fresh for the coming Tropical Depression that promises to drench our neck of the woods.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
L'Artisan's VOLEUR DE ROSES today.

dokelroth

Reaction score
Today I am wearing Comme des Garcon Harissa.

dokelroth

Reaction score
What are some thoughts on rose scents for men. I really like the Frederic Malle Une Rose.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dokelroth
What are some thoughts on rose scents for men. I really like the Frederic Malle Une Rose.

Winter - yes, but not in the summertime, for me at least. I'm fond of Ungaro III, but it's not exactly a beam of sunlight. I also enjoy using a few rose-scented shaving soaps and creams so I like the scent but have to be judicious in using it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads