• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alicia and her new Friend. by Bill Smith1, on Flickr

Camera: Mamyia C220f Twin Lens Reflex media format camera with a 105 f3.5 Sekor Lens
Film: Ilford HP5 400 processed in Ilfotec DDX 1+4.
Model: Alicia S.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've looked at the NEX cameras. Very impresive. My only real concern is lenses. If they make arrangements with Zeiss and put out some good prime and zoom lenses I would seriously have to think about that system. Of course I'm already heavily invested in the Alpha A system so in my case switching over may not have any real advantage. The same goes with my Minolta film system. I have 3 solid working bodies and a bunch of good glass that's already paid for. To tell you the truth if I was to spend a bunch of money it would be on a film camera. A Leica M3 would be nice but I'm thinking more along the lines of a medium format Mamiya.

As a second generation Leica M3 owner (it belonged to my dad), I think you will be very happy with it. I use a Sekonic L398a meter to measure exposure. If you're going Mamiya, look at the 220/330 series TLR's they are nice workhorses and while heavy, they are not as heavy as RB67s

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As a second generation Leica M3 owner (it belonged to my dad), I think you will be very happy with it. I use a Sekonic L398a meter to measure exposure. If you're going Mamiya, look at the 220/330 series TLR's they are nice workhorses and while heavy, they are not as heavy as RB67s

It's funny you mention a Sekonic meter. I found a working Studio Deluxe L-28c2 at a thrift store for 5 bucks. I'm thinking if I do get an M3 I'm going to find an MR Leicameter for it. I'm told it's a really good way to go and the advantages of a coupled meter are pretty obvious. The two Mamiyas you mentioned above are they 6 by 6 or 6 by 7? I would like to use 6 by 7 but that leaves me with the Mamiya 7 as my only real option that I'm aware of.

I like the shot you made above. Good job. I can only imagine what the actual print looks like. There's just nothing quite like a good film shot especially if the prints are done with optical equipment.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some older shots with a Nikon D60:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's funny you mention a Sekonic meter. I found a working Studio Deluxe L-28c2 at a thrift store for 5 bucks. I'm thinking if I do get an M3 I'm going to find an MR Leicameter for it. I'm told it's a really good way to go and the advantages of a coupled meter are pretty obvious. The two Mamiyas you mentioned above are they 6 by 6 or 6 by 7? I would like to use 6 by 7 but that leaves me with the Mamiya 7 as my only real option that I'm aware of.
I like the shot you made above. Good job. I can only imagine what the actual print looks like. There's just nothing quite like a good film shot especially if the prints are done with optical equipment.

Another option for the M3 is the clip on Voightlander meter, it's not coupled like the Leica MR but it's a nice one so I'm told. I'm so used to using the L398a, I don't even miss the clip on meter on my M3.

Are you looking for a medium format rangefinder or SLR?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Another option for the M3 is the clip on Voightlander meter, it's not coupled like the Leica MR but it's a nice one so I'm told. I'm so used to using the L398a, I don't even miss the clip on meter on my M3.
Are you looking for a medium format rangefinder or SLR?

Doesn't matter as long as good glass is available. When it comes down to it what I'm looking for is a medium format camera that uses the 6X7 configuration. Pentax made what looks like a decent 6X7 and the prices are certainly attractive for the body and lenses. Just need to make sure to get one with a mirror lockup for those long exposure shots. This camera's main use will be for landscapes with some portraiture in ambient light as well.

My main film system these days revolves around the Minolta SRT bodies. I have a very early production SRT 101, a 102 with mirror lockup and an MCII. I got a bunch of glass for it including the soft focus 85, a 1.2f 50 and the tilt shift 35. The Leica will be an addition to my 35 mm equipment but I don't think it's ever going to replace my Minolta gear. LOL! It will look good next to my 1958 Zeiss for sure!

Anyway whatchya think about the Pentax 67?

CesarC

Reaction score

"Double Guitar," on Flickr
-- double-exposure --

camera: Minolta XD-7
macro: Soligor MD 35-140mm
f/3.5, 1/15s
overlay: Promaster MC 28mm
f/2.8, 1s
film: Ilford Delta 100 Pro
scan: from negative on Imacon 949

"White Tulip," on Flickr
exposure: f/8, (? - I forget) @ ISO 100
camera: OIympus C3040Z

"Sarah Z," on Flickr and Model Mayhem
exposure: f/5.6, 1/1000s
camera: Minolta XD-7
lens: Minolta Rokkor-X 45mm f/2, with CPL filter
film: Ilford Delta 400 Pro

go0gle

Reaction score

I'm shooting a Leica MP with a 50mm Summilux ASPH. I've heard the same about the M3, but I wanted a new body, and preferred to have an internal light meter.
I agree too many people buy the "best" of something without understanding how to use it. Months ago I was at a camera store in NYC looking at lenses when a guy came in to pick-up a brand new Noctilux lens ($10k, f/0.95) for his new M9. He asked the salesperson for confirmation, "So, this is the best lens for my camera right? I want the top of the line." It was disgusting. He didn't understand anything about focal length or why such a fast lens is beneficial or why you don't want such a gigantic, niche lens as your main glass. He just cared that it was the "best." I can only assume the idiot doesn't even realize his M9 isn't an SLR.

I feel like a lot of the DSLRs hanging on peoples necks don't really belong there.. but it might be a wrong feeling. I know my "talent" level .. a DSLR exceeds it by quite a bit :) But I do have one.. funny part is that I got it when I had no idea what I am doing.

Here's another test shot with Portra 400. Just meter the subject and shoot. This would be a nightmare shot with a digital camera.
[

That is beautiful.. and it will be tricky for a digital cam, great DR. I have a canon F1... should use it more often,

I think this statement is generally true. On recent photo outings to the zoo and to the DC monuments, these two categories composed the vast majority of the cameras I saw, with DSLRs dominating. I did a lot of research on a camera to buy for an upcoming safari, however, and decided to go with a superzoom (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150) after initially thinking I was going to get a DSLR. I didn't want the added expense and hassle of bringing multiple lenses that I would have to switch out. I'm under no illusion that my photographs are going to be as good as ones taken with a DSLR, but I'm not selling them to National Geographic either.

Whatever works best.. fz150 will be fine for your trip I think, you do need zoom so that would be perfect. And you have to balance weight vs. pic quality on trips like that I guess. The last time I went hiking in Yosemite I didn't even take my dslr.. my phone did just fine for my needs.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads