• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

go0gle

Reaction score

My buddy had a phone a few years ago with the Zeiss lens. It's more than just marketing, folks. They take a nice picture.

Zeiss did an amazing job on the 808's lens.. considering the size restrictions and the amount of detail it needs to resolve for that 41Mpix (1.4 um pixels) to make any sense.. ya, great work.

Impressive. This is why the point-and-shoot camera market is doomed.

Agreed.. I think a DSLR + smartphone is the best combo, everything in between doesn't make much sense to me. I've been using my smartphone for everyday/random clicks since 2010, no need for p and s overall

Nokia N8, no editing

Last edited:

ribkin

Reaction score
Been a lifelong Nikon dude... just ordered a 5D mark ii w/ 24-105

How long does it take for the dirty traitor feeling to go away?:embar:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not long.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think the more pertinent question is: How long does it take to replace all those Nikon lenses with Canon versions?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Agreed.. I think a DSLR + smartphone is the best combo, everything in between doesn't make much sense to me. I've been using my smartphone for everyday/random clicks since 2010, no need for p and s overall

To be fair, I think we're bound to see the SLR fade away, too. Mirrorless options are only getting better and there is no reason they can't ultimately exceed SLRs in performance. Why use a mirror that has to be mechanically moved out of the way when you can just rip straight from the sensor? Sony is rumored to be working on a full-frame NEX camera that they will announce this year.

Not a Mark III?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Why use a mirror that has to be mechanically moved out of the way when you can just rip straight from the sensor?

The small LCDs aren't quite as good as looking through the glass yourself. They'll eventually be good enough, though.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The small LCDs aren't quite as good as looking through the glass yourself. They'll eventually be good enough, though.

Right now, I find the main problem to be lag and noise in low-light situations for electronic viewfinders and glare for the screens that are on the back of the camera. EVFs, like on the Olympus OM-D E-M5, are pretty good when you have a lot of light, but they tend to get blotchy, noisy, and sometimes laggy (low frames/second) in low light. The technology is such that there is an annoying lag from when you press the shutter button to when the EVF goes live again, presumably because the camera is busy moving bits off the sensor for the shot, so it can't display them on the EVF. It can be annoying when shooting action, like sports. Ideally, with an EVF, there should never be finder blackout, and it's probably just a matter of time before computational power catches up to make this possible.

Speaking of action, the contrast-detect autofocus these mirrorless cameras have can be pretty slow, though they tend to be more accurate than the phase-detect systems used in the mirror SLRs. That said, the Olympus AF is fast enough almost all the time.

EVFs are also shut down when not in use to save battery life, and the lag to turn on the EVF can sometimes be too long. You can work around this with various camera settings and a change of some habits.

I don't think I could ever live with a camera whose only view is via a screen on the back. The glare in bright sunlight makes most of those things useless, and the ergonomics are pretty terrible, too. They are useful for certain things like getting critical focus with live view, but they shouldn't be the only option for a serious camera.

Last edited:

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why's it always gotta be the white Lego? :lol:

:) I wasn't aware of that trend. This is my and my brother's old Lego. I tried to clean the white stones. I seperated all the stones, put them in the washing machine, and during the washing many stones attached themselves to each other, without any help from me. So, this is my piece of art, SB, readymade by Miele. I have a multi-coloured version as well...

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your story is much better than my attempt at humor. I already liked the photo, and with the story, it's even better.

ribkin

Reaction score

no D800 for you ? I've never had a Nikon, but the d800 is very tempting..

No... I actually like the D700 more and I specifically need around 5400x3600 and not a megapixel more 1:1 crops ... they just went in a whole new direction with the D800 maybe too much for what I need

I think the more pertinent question is: How long does it take to replace all those Nikon lenses with Canon versions?

I only used a 50mm Zeiss manual focus and 85mm 1.8D ... borrowed some of those wicked gold ring zooms from time to time:satisfied:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to think that P&S cameras and mirrors will be around for a long time. Some of the newer P&S cameras are capable of producing pics that are equal to or rival some DSLRs. I also think you aren't going to see something like 24X optical zoom capability in any phone camera. That alone will keep P&S cameras around for the foreseeable future. Mirrorless technology has caught my attention. I've looked at the Sony A77 and it's a nice camera but that EVF takes some getting used to. As pointed out above it does take a while for it to wake up but talk about rapid continuous pic taking! It's hard to beat 12 or so frames a second. I'm thinking about picking one up to replace my old Alpha that's been around forever. I've got around 35 or 40,000 shutter clicks on it and sooner or later it's going die. LOL.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics