• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From NYC this past weekend:

7835955234_b02a6ebd5c_b.jpg

Krp480

Reaction score

I'm shooting a Leica MP with a 50mm Summilux ASPH. I've heard the same about the M3, but I wanted a new body, and preferred to have an internal light meter.
I agree too many people buy the "best" of something without understanding how to use it. Months ago I was at a camera store in NYC looking at lenses when a guy came in to pick-up a brand new Noctilux lens ($10k, f/0.95) for his new M9. He asked the salesperson for confirmation, "So, this is the best lens for my camera right? I want the top of the line." It was disgusting. He didn't understand anything about focal length or why such a fast lens is beneficial or why you don't want such a gigantic, niche lens as your main glass. He just cared that it was the "best." I can only assume the idiot doesn't even realize his M9 isn't an SLR.

To be honest, that doesn't surprise me. Most people (who I know) who shoot Leica are usually RICH, and have no clue how to take good composed photos. Honestly if it's their money, let them spend it and be "satisfied", we all know that they wont become famous for it cause they have no clue what they are doing. It is what it is though, Leica is just a brand basically, I've used Leica and I absolutely hated it personally. I myself prefer to have AF and good ISO as well as all the other features a DSLR has. Obviously Leica has some awesome images that come out of the camera and photographer, but for what it's worth, a lot of people who shoot leica shoot leice because they're rich and want a top of the line camera.

I don't mean to sound like I'm generalizing the Leica users out there because I know a lot of them take way better pictures than me, but I find a number of people shoot Leica because they are most certainly rich.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of these days I'll pickup a Leica M3 and a couple of lenses for the simple reason that it's one of those good old classic cameras. I had a line on an old Zeiss Ikon Bullseye Contarex with a couple of lenses that actually was in good working condition. After a little homework and talking with one of the few remaining guys who can actually fix them I decided not to get it. It seems that particular model is a repair nightmare waiting to happen and parts are nearly non existent. He pretty much told me that if I wanted a solid classic camera that just works and is repairable to look at the M3 or M4 Leica.

On a side note I've been researching the Pentax 67 medium format camera. It looks like that's what I'm going to go with since good working bodies, lenses and accessories can be had very reasonably. Since this is a new realm for me I don't want to get buried in it and then find out I just hate it. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen as long as I don't go crazy with it and go through film like a madman. The film isn't cheap and neither is the processing and high res scans but that's really not the point. I've decided I'm going to use digital for paying jobs more or less and shoot film the rest of the time. I've found over the years that doing this forces me to be a "thinking" photographer instead of machine gunning through things without much thought. I'm more interested in making a photograph instead of just taking one.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been discovering a lot of the photos I like were done medium format but I need to get better with what I've got before plunging into new gear. Crane's, post results!

Testing out wide apertures on the 28mm I picked up

Nikon FE, Fuji Superia, f2.8

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Been discovering a lot of the photos I like were done medium format but I need to get better with what I've got before plunging into new gear. Crane's, post results!

It might be a while Shore. I'm in the middle of moving and I need to decipher the lenses you use on these things among other things. LOL! It looks like if I pickup what I think is tele lens it's actually more like a 50mm on a 35mm camera. I have a 3 week trip planned in the Spring. I'm heading back to Wyoming and Yellowstone Park. This time around it's for serious photo taking with film only.

I've been looking at some really wide angle lenses for the Minolta too. There's some really interesting things you can do with them. Have you tried a shot with the camera setup a few inches off the ground yet Shore? We have a local photo guy running around here who's style is just that and some of his pics are just incredible.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shore,
I realize that was just a test shot, but I think you missed the focus on that one. With wide apertures, it's critical to nail the focus. If the focus point was an inch or two back (on the stigma), I think it would have resulted in a much nicer image.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shore,
I realize that was just a test shot, but I think you missed the focus on that one. With wide apertures, it's critical to nail the focus. If the focus point was an inch or two back (on the stigma), I think it would have resulted in a much nicer image.

Yeah, I agree. I missed focus on a bunch of shots on this roll :embar: New lens with manual focus taking some getting used to. On the positive side since it's 28mm I'll more likely be taking f8+ shots and will have a little more room to breathe.

Crane's, thanks, v nice. That guy's photostream is... interesting.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got to check out one of those Pentax 67 medium format rigs....

What a beast, it looks like a giant SLR and weighs about as much as a cinder block! LOL! I've heard you can shoot these monsters handheld but I think I better workout for a few months before I try that. Good thing I got a real tripod. I'm slowly but surely figuring out lenses and other things and putting a list together. If all goes well it's going to be an early Christmas present to myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads