• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This Is Why I Love My Job

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Buickguy
smile.gif
Adding insult to injury, counselor?

Ha, well played.

JB, here are some general observations that I hope are of some help:
1. "Pressing charges" usually refers to the initiation of a formal criminal case. This is generally the prosecutor's call, not the victim's. That said, helpful prosecutors (some are too busy or self-important to care about helping you out) often will use their authority to decide whether or not to press charges to place pressure of the defendant to make recompense to the victim(s). (The prosecutor may also sometimes, after initiating formal charges, agree to dismiss them or plead them down if the defendant makes adequate restitution to the victim(s).
2. If the prosecutor goes ahead, part of her sentence may require her to make full restitution to all of her victims. (I'm giving you an oversimplified version of how things work in CA, but of course you should remember that the law may be significantly different where you are.) At least in CA, that order essentially becomes a civil judgment, enforceable just like a judgment rendered in a civil lawsuit. Thus, even if she presently lacks the money to pay in in full, it remains in effect for ten years (and can easily be renewed beyond that) accruing interest at the statutory rate (currently 10% per year here in CA).
3. At least in CA, the possibility of criminal restitution does not impact your ability to bring a civil lawsuit. If informal negotiations assisted by whatever pressure the prosecutor brings don't lead to a satisfactory resolution, you may want to file the lawsuit to protect your rights. (If she is convicted of a criminal offense, it would make establishing civil liablity a snap.) Assuming your injuries are not significant enough (and I hope they're inconsequential) to make it worth hiring a lawyer, you can probably muddle through small claims or municipal court yourself, with some assistance. You likely have at least a year to pursue such a course, so no immediate worries. Just noting it for future reference.
4. Be aggressive and proactive in getting proper medical treatment. First and foremost, because you want to do whatever you can to avoid future problems. Second, because before deciding on any final resolution of potential claims against her, you want to have a good handle on what your medical expenses are - you don't want to settle with her and then learn later on down the road that you're looking at a bigger deal than you thought. Be sure to properly document your medical care, keep copies of bills, etc. If there is to be a restitution order arising from the criminal process, you may want to share this info with the prosecutor as well to ensure that any order "captures" all appropriate damages.
5. I applaud your concern for the security guard. But don't sell either of you short by simply settling on an amount of money for yourself and splitting it with him. Even if he has no resulting medical issues, he was assaulted by her and has claims of his own. Make sure any resolution takes this into account.
6. Understand that I'm not advocating that you or the security guard be overly litigious or seek to exaggerate any injuries. But if you are inclined to pursue this, which you certainly are entitled to do, I simply do not want you to sell yourself short because you're intimidated by the process. It can be a hassle, but it's less complicated than it may seem at first glance.
7. Make sure you understand what options, if any, are available to you in terms of workers comp, disability, etc. These aren't my areas, even in CA. I'm not suggesting you have to do anything about them. Just be sure that if you're going to pass on them, you know what it is you're passing on.
8. FWIW, many homeowner's policies will provide some coverage -- or at least arguably so -- for assault/battery claims. She may or may not be the beneficiary of such a policy, but keep that option in mind before accepting any discounted settlement based on a claimed inability to pay.
9. Feel free to ask any more specific questions, understanding that: (1) I don't know the law of your jurisdiction; (2) I can't offer actual legal advice about how to proceed in your jurisdiction, although I'm happy to tell you what I'd take into account were I in your position; (3) I'm not primarily a personal injury lawyer; and (4) for all you know I could be a 12-year old pretending on the internet to be a lawyer.
With that lawyerly caveat, I hope your knee is feeling better.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Buickguy
I know you asked Lawyerdad, and I'm sure learned counsel is far better equipped than I to advise you, but I think you are looking at two seperate legal issues. Criminal charges are prosecuted by the state and by pressing those you are agreeing to supply evidence for the state's case. Civil litigation is different.

Absolutely right. But as I said in my overly verbose post, there can be an interplay between the two when they arise from the same conduct.

jett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Absolutely right. But as I said in my overly verbose post, there can be an interplay between the two when they arise from the same conduct.

Something else to keep in mind, the civil suit is separate from the criminal prosecution. Even if the prosecutor decides to drop charges, or if she is found not guilty, or if there is a mistrial, you can still pursue the civil suit. Think OJ: Criminal case was a failure. Civil suit found him responsible.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jett
Something else to keep in mind, the civil suit is separate from the criminal prosecution. Even if the prosecutor decides to drop charges, or if she is found not guilty, or if there is a mistrial, you can still pursue the civil suit. Think OJ: Criminal case was a failure. Civil suit found him responsible.

Yes, very good point - which I neglected to mention.
Again, without professing to advise you about what you should to or what the law is in your state, here's a general strategy I adopted in a case where I represented a family that was the victim of a sizable theft (over $1M in jewelry and other items).
1. I and the family worked closely with the police and DA, ensuring that they had the best possible documentation of my client's losses for purposes of setting the amount of the restitution order for the main defendant.
2. Fairly early on, we filed a civil lawsuit, both as a "fallback" in case we weren't happy with the restitution order and also as a way to seek to extend liability to a second person we believed had been involved.
3. For various reasons, the criminal restitution award, while sizable, was less than the total amount of damages my clients felt they had suffered. We ended up going to trial against the main defendant, with her liability established through her criminal plea and the only issue to be determined being whether there were additional losses beyond the restitution amount.
4. Had no conviction been rendered or for some other reason no restitution imposed, we would have been able to use the civil suit as a basis for establishing civil liability notwithstanding the lack of a criminal conviction (which, legally, would be irrelevant to our case).
5. When it's otherwise worth it, another advantage of the civil suit is that it may afford you the opportunity to conduct discovery that might not be available to you through the criminal process.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow Lawyerdad, that is all very helpful. I printed off your posts (and Jett's) and will look into the information you guys provided. Thank you very much!

Update-
I just finished at the doctor's office about 30 min ago, the doctor said that my knee will be just fine, only to stay off of it for a while and apply ice once in a while. I've been issued a set of crutches for the next week as well. Great. Thanks, Jackie Chan.

British Airways has also banned the lady from ever stepping on one of our flights, and she is no longer allowed to fly through Dulles International Airport. Hopefully this will avoid any future chaos.

JB

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
British Airways has also banned the lady from ever stepping on one of our flights, and she is no longer allowed to fly through Dulles International Airport. Hopefully this will avoid any future chaos.
JB

I had no idea they can ban a passenger from ever flying through one particular Airport. I knew they can ban you from the Airlines ,afterall they are private enterprise. But how can they ban anyone from the airport which is a public property?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently the police chief did something where if she is caught on the property she will be taken in or something like that. I am sure that if the airport people can't actually ban her, all of the airlines serving the airport no doubt will, making it pretty much pointless to use this airport anyway. I'm just passing on what I was told even though it is doubtful info.
The Federal Aviation Administration can also ban her from any airport of their choosing or from even flying in the USA but we haven't gone that far (yet).

JB

jett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I had no idea they can ban a passenger from ever flying through one particular Airport. I knew they can ban you from the Airlines ,afterall they are private enterprise. But how can they ban anyone from the airport which is a public property?

I'm not sure how this works but I know it can happen on public property via some type of criminal trespass order against someone who commits a crime on the property.

I remember in college there were soldiers from a near by military base who kept coming to campus to crash parties and cause trouble, eventually at a party they beat up some girls and started a huge fight. After that if they ever returned to the college they would get arrested for trespassing, the police kept pictures of everyone with a trespass order against them and had it flagged in their record so if any cop looked them up they would see it. I assume that something similar has been done with this woman, the airport police will put her picture up on a wall and anyone who ever looks up her name in the police database will see that she has a trespass order.

I bet she winds up on the terror watch list too, she will probably never fly again without getting some heavy duty screening.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how this works but I know it can happen on public property via some type of criminal trespass order against someone who commits a crime on the property.
Yes, there is a picture of her and a copy of her ticket hung up on the board of forbidden passengers in the airport police office, I was just in there last night.

I bet she winds up on the terror watch list too, she will probably never fly again without getting some heavy duty screening.
Oh, she is guaranteed extra security at this point. Anytime you commit a crime on airport property your security usually goes to level 3 or 4. This lady will probably get a 4, meaning all of her luggage will be checked several times, plus she will get a whole ton of screening in the terminal. As for the terror watch list that is also a possibility, we'll see if the TSA calls me anytime soon.

She leaves tomorrow morning at about 3:30 to go to New York to collect necessary belongings, and then she will be flown back, all under the watchful eye of the FBI and TSA. This b*tch is getting more than she bargained for.

JB

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is all pretty insane. Honestly, I don't believe the punishment fits the crime.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Yes, there is a picture of her and a copy of her ticket hung up on the board of forbidden passengers in the airport police office... This b*tch is getting more than she bargained for.

JB

So, what does shoe look like? How old? Do you know her nationality?

jett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
This is all pretty insane. Honestly, I don't believe the punishment fits the crime.

What do you think an appropriate punishment is for people who flip out and attack random strangers?

In my book:
It's one thing to be a jackass and scream and yell at the lowly frontline staff, it's another to knee one of them in the balls and kick the other one in the knee to the point where he needs crutches.

Buickguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl

Perhaps, perhaps not but the TSA has no sense of humor when it comes to these kinds of things.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really care what the punishment is, as long as she doesn't assault anyone else. I'm willing to take one for the team by filing charges, maybe she'll get a good lesson out of it.

Perhaps, perhaps not but the TSA has no sense of humor when it comes to these kinds of things.
No, they certainly do not. To be honest, the TSA are a bunch of morons. They do a good job of screwing up our operations.

JB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads