• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

city74

Reaction score
I stumbled upon this seller on Etsy. They have a really nice collection of vintage Seikos. Shipping from Mumbai sends red flags. Anyone have any experience with the seller? Should I stay away?

https://www.etsy.com/shop/rkswatches/items

From seller:
"All watches you see in my shop are 100% original and genuine
Watches are restored in house
I have 4 watch makers working full time for me
All watches have been cleaned and serviced and are in perfect working condition
Cases have been buffed and polished
Some Citizen bullheads may have repainted dials which can be the identified very easily
Apart from that each and every watch is all original including cases and dials"

I wouldn’t touch em

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are cheap Seikos that one might pick up for just fun of it. They won't be collector's grade but then again who the **** collects Citizen Bullheads? They are dime a dozen fun watch.

Bentley

Reaction score
tumblr_pjhwtqVVNk1uyb4a8_1280.png

I bought this on eBay the other day for $436 (US).

I know nothing about watches but this caught my eye so I decided to take the plunge. Here’s what the listing said:

“Vintage Full-Size 54 mm Trench gents Rolex , Pure Nickel case & Back back and bezel are screwon, very nice condition, windup. Swiss high grade Rolex movement. Military wht. dial
54 mm case 20 mm lugs. Blk. textile heavy duty Strap, As is and shown in pictures working soundly.”

Bentley

Reaction score
Did you get it from alexandr6930 (562 ) from the Ukraine? His items are very suspect. The watches all look the same but have different brands. Don't know how he gets away with it. If you like it, that's all that matters.

No...I got it from a Seller called detodouy (499) in Uruguay. His eBay ratings were all very positive but who knows?

I’m still waiting for the watch to be delivered...it’s still in transit. I plan to tak it to a Rolex shop to get it cleaned and oiled when it arrives so I’ll see what they say. Hope I didn’t get ripped off but we’ll see.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Latin America is full of these sellers with Omegas and Longines and Breigtlings, Those L,A folks are really good with engraving. This Rolex is so fake I am surprised it did not come from Ukraine.

city74

Reaction score
tumblr_pjhwtqVVNk1uyb4a8_1280.png

I bought this on eBay the other day for $436 (US).

I know nothing about watches but this caught my eye so I decided to take the plunge. Here’s what the listing said:

“Vintage Full-Size 54 mm Trench gents Rolex , Pure Nickel case & Back back and bezel are screwon, very nice condition, windup. Swiss high grade Rolex movement. Military wht. dial
54 mm case 20 mm lugs. Blk. textile heavy duty Strap, As is and shown in pictures working soundly.”

Yea that’s a fake

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't try to return the watch as fake. Do NOT! Return it because it does not work or for some other innocuous reason. Why?
Because Ebay puts burden of proof on the buyer in the fake products disputes. They will write to you that you have to go to Rolex dealer and obtain an official certification from Rolex expert on their logotype or (alternatively) you can go to local police (yes local police) and obtain similar paper from police proving that the watch is not authentic.
This is what they asked me to do when I bought fake Oris Big Crown from UK seller.
The requirements might differ depending on your location (so may be it is slightly better in US) , but in EU consumers are regularly shafted & burdened with unnecessary bureaucratic imbecility.
BTW, same goes for PayPal.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why would I wish to impress someone with my watch? Not sure I follow. Even when I was into buying higher end watches, I invariably gravitated to those brands which wouldn't be recognized by the uninformed as "a really expensive watch". Those who are impressed by how much you spent on a watch mostly aren't worth impressing, IME.

I've only owned two Rolexes. A Sub that I bought because, well, it was supposed to be this great icon of horology. It left me wondering WTF the BFD was. Didn't keep it long. The other was a Rose Gold Cellini with a charcoal grey dial that I sure wouldn't mind having back. It was gorgeous and nobody thought it was a Rolex.
I'm actually looking into a Cellini specifically because it doesn't look like a rolex.

Bentley

Reaction score
Don't try to return the watch as fake. Do NOT! Return it because it does not work or for some other innocuous reason. Why?
Because Ebay puts burden of proof on the buyer in the fake products disputes. They will write to you that you have to go to Rolex dealer and obtain an official certification from Rolex expert on their logotype or (alternatively) you can go to local police (yes local police) and obtain similar paper from police proving that the watch is not authentic.
This is what they asked me to do when I bought fake Oris Big Crown from UK seller.
The requirements might differ depending on your location (so may be it is slightly better in US) , but in EU consumers are regularly shafted & burdened with unnecessary bureaucratic imbecility.
BTW, same goes for PayPal.
The seller specified that the watch was being sold “as is” so I don’t think I will have any recourse in complaining that it doesn’t work.

I may go ahead and get a letter from a Rolex dealer to demonstrate it’s a fake...I’ll see what happens from there.

(I kinda feel like it’s my own fault anyway. I shoulda known better)

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The seller specified that the watch was being sold “as is” so I don’t think I will have any recourse in complaining that it doesn’t work.

I may go ahead and get a letter from a Rolex dealer to demonstrate it’s a fake...I’ll see what happens from there.

(I kinda feel like it’s my own fault anyway. I shoulda known better)
Well if you tell him you will comment that he sells fakes he might be more accepting of your point of view vis a vis authenticity.
It is partially your fault, but then again, dirty business practices of Amazon and Ebay cannot be blamed on the buyers. It is a fault of lying seller, then the company that knowingly makes profit by allowing lying sellers to stay active & only remaining 10% is your fault for not researching the product.

P.S. I would not go to Rolex with that watch. My bet is they will make you feel like a leper and will never issue any written statement.

Last edited:

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if you tell him you will comment that he sells fakes he might be more accepting of your point of view vis a vis authenticity.
It is partially your fault, but then again, dirty business practices of Amazon and Ebay cannot be blamed on the buyers. It is a fault of lying seller, then the company that knowingly makes profit by allowing lying sellers to stay active & only remaining 10% is your fault for not researching the product.

Finally I agree with you. Lol

At the same time, these companies say they care about fraudulent goods, but in reality can’t police it, I don’t know why? Some are just comical, and at the end of he day do they really care when they are stacking profit from it?
Not so sure they care as much as they should or in fact do with the amount of fakes out there.

And on everything.... Not specifically watches

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads